Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099
Default Re: Gay Meter at +1

The O line was still one of the best in 05 and still better than the current version in 08. Add to the fact that the defense was 6 years younger in 05 and you can start to understand just what the hell I am talking about.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
The O line was still one of the best in 05 and still better than the current version in 08. Add to the fact that the defense was 6 years younger in 05 and you can start to understand just what the hell I am talking about.
no i cant. our defense back then was comprised of-

von oelhoffen
porter
foote
haggans
townsend
hope

we have upgraded with -

keisel
harrison
timmons
woodley
gay/mcfadden
clark

townsend was hated back then just like gay and mcfadden are today. mcfadden was just a rookie playing nickel and was generally hated as much as well (until he finall got an int in the playoffs). ike was hated and even benched the following season. hope did pretty well for a season or 2 with the titans, but now i would take clark over him any day.

once hood and heyward take over in the next season or 2 we will be right back to where we once were with having one of the averaged aged defenses in the league.

plus age is just a number. also just numbers is james farrior having one of his statistically best seasons last year.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #23
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I don't know what world you lived in, but Townsend was not nearly as hated as Gay is right now.

And LOL@James Farrior. He was one of the main culprits to that debacle in week 1. I don't think you know how to analyze anything that's going on during the game.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #24
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Sorry, but Gay had a soso game against an awful team. If he is the starter when we play anyone with a decent QB, the Steelers will get lit up big time. And it will all be aimed straight at him because he is the weak link.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Gay had a good game. Not so-so, but a good, solid game.

Collins is no Manning, but he's a savvy vet who's had some success against the Steelers, and should know where the weak links are. Although the Colts this week will not be quite the test we will get against the Pats and Ravens (and maybe the Texans), it should be a decent indicator of just how badly Gay sucks... or if, as some of us suspect, he's just OK. Not great, not awful.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Gay had a good game. Not so-so, but a good, solid game.

Collins is no Manning, but he's a savvy vet who's had some success against the Steelers, and should know where the weak links are. Although the Colts this week will not be quite the test we will get against the Pats and Ravens (and maybe the Texans), it should be a decent indicator of just how badly Gay sucks... or if, as some of us suspect, he's just OK. Not great, not awful.
Don't we already know how badly he sucks..?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Sorry, but Gay had a soso game against an awful team. If he is the starter when we play anyone with a decent QB, the Steelers will get lit up big time. And it will all be aimed straight at him because he is the weak link.
What you're forgetting is that in the nickel, Gay still plays inside, and opposing offenses tend to do their most damage in spread formations, against which Gay is not playing the 'starting' (outside) position.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Well, i disagree with you and that is why the Gay Meter exists. We can monitor how much he suck or doesn't.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,050 Times in 3,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
that's my beef with gay, he plays good in the garbage games, but ive yet to see him step up in a big game when we really need our younger players to step up. though being that he's a 5th round pick maybe i shouldn't expect too much other than just what he is, an average nickel/dime back
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
I remember a few games for that '08 team where I thought Ben's career would be ended. He got sacked 9 times against the Eagles that year and another 5 against the Giants (and if memory serves me he was under pressure that entire game). Boy, there were some threads just a few weeks back talking about how sh!tty Hartwig was, I think Stapleton made a better turnstile than right guard and Colon got 2-3 holding/false starts per game. The Ravens game, to me, was more about missed calls and bad schemes for the Steelers O-line and less about their talent ... which is good because those things can be fixed. You got your opinion, but I'll wait to see how this season plays out before I rank the 2011 O-line.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote