Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Keisel Injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELMANIAK View Post
It's hard for me to understand why the front office would invest two 1st round picks in the last 3 years at defensive end just to sit and watch Kiesel and Smith struggle at their position and at the same time neglect our DB's and Oline to the point in which we are at now.

Seems like we passed up quite a few players that would have made an immediate impact.
Did you watch the last game?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
STEELMANIAK
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Did you watch the last game?
Yes. I'd like to see Cam Heyward get more plays in, the kid was built for that position.
STEELMANIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine

"C'mon sunny gem...fear the beard darnit."

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
"C'mon sunny gem...fear the beard darnit."

I think I just pissed my pants
Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #25
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

The way Smith is looking, I think it's over for him. I like Smith a lot, he's served the Steelers well and he is a true Steeler, but we are getting zero production from him it seems. Keisel and Smith played horrible against Baltimore, to my surprise, cause Keisel played well last year. Next game though Keisel stepped up and made some plays, I didn't see anything, not a single thing, from Smith against and inferior team. Hood played well last year and has earned the spot. I would say give Smith one more game to see if he comes around, if not, Hood should be starting and playing 75% of the time. Keisel looks like he's getting back to form, but it's only one game that he played well in and it wasn't extremely well. I think Keisel will get back to playing really good this year so I'm not going to go into hypothetical's about "what if he doesn't", but he shouldn't be in there every snap or 99% of the snaps. For that matter, none of the DE's should. I played junior leagues, high school, and college ball as a DE and LB. I know things are done differently at that level, but there was a good amount of rotation. If I was coaching I would start Hood and rotate Smith in every now and then for a set of downs here and there, keeping Hood "fresh", keeping Smith active, and getting overall better play from both of them because they will not be as tired. I would do the same with Heyward and Keisel, start Keisel, if he's having a monster game leave him in 90% of the time. If not, Heyward should be playing 30% or so of the snaps in the first 3 quarters. By doing this, you keep everybody "fresh", you get your young guy Heyward playing time while keeping your best DE Keisel ready to go when it counts the most. You also get to play the player who is playing the best in the 4th quarter when it counts, rather then just having to stick with whoever you started. I don't see a downside to it, I've seen first hand the benefits of it, I just don't see how NFL coaches don't see it. It would be different if Hood played bad last year and Heyward was a 6th round pick, but we got some guys behind our vets that can play, lets play them. I just really don't see how NFL coaches don't get it with so many things, but as a few mentioned before, maybe they are purposely holding the young guys back.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
. I don't see a downside to it, I've seen first hand the benefits of it, I just don't see how NFL coaches don't see it. It would be different if Hood played bad last year and Heyward was a 6th round pick, but we got some guys behind our vets that can play, lets play them. I just really don't see how NFL coaches don't get it with so many things, but as a few mentioned before, maybe they are purposely holding the young guys back.
the downside is that the youngsters may not be ready to produce on an overall consistant basis and hold the fort down on the nfl's best defense for 60 minutes. they are more apt to be caught out of place and open a hole for a scoring play

also, NFL coaches are way to busy to keep up with the revolutionary, game altering dynamics taking place in the high school and college ranks every week.

that is why they are so far behind the learning curve.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the downside is that the youngsters may not be ready to produce on an overall consistant basis and hold the fort down on the nfl's best defense for 60 minutes. they are more apt to be caught out of place and open a hole for a scoring play

also, NFL coaches are way to busy to keep up with the revolutionary, game altering dynamics taking place in the high school and college ranks every week.

that is why they are so far behind the learning curve.
I agree that the youngsters might not be able to hold it down, if you look at what I wrote you would see that they would noy be in all game, Heyward not even half. How did you miss the majority of what I wrote, to busy trying to think of a "funny" cheap shot while reading.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #28
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I don't know where all of these decisive conclusions that Smith didn't do anything against the Seahawks are coming from. Is it because he didn't record a tackle? Smith controlled the line well last game and looked much better than against the Ravens. Sometimes I think some people just don't understand what to look for when looking at the defensive line.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine

We are only 2 games in, but this season is starting off in such a bizarre manner.

1. Never saw that type of whoopin from Bmore comin
2. A general feeling of uneasiness regardless of any wins we rack up before New England and Baltimore. Even if we win all these games in a row before then, we'll then start talking about having another letdown after a string of wins and that we are destined to lose 1 of those 2 games for the simple reason we are not capable of winning against good teams this year
3. We can post a 12-4 record, win the division, get a #2 seed again (heck even #1) and we will still be uneasy - because if we have to face the Pats in the playoffs we have done nothing to give fans any confidence in our ability to beat a high-octane offense
4. We can make it to the Super Bowl, and if we have to play a team like Green Bay or New Orleans, we will be uneasy again. Grant it- we'll look to our SB XLV performance riddled with turnovers and still only losing by 6 as something to hang out hat on, BUT -
5. We won't be satisfied or feel better unless we exorcise our demons or get lucky with matchups against teams like Jets or Chargers and then someone like the Falcons or Eagles in SB.

Just a thought - but I feel like a series of events is leading us to an inevitable shedding of monkey off back by beating some teams we technically haven't been able to in past or we'll take our beatings again by those quick-strike QBs.

Phew - I've never felt so antsy about a season since 05-06 SB season - that was quite the roller coaster ride.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,924 Posts

Ed.B. of the P-G once again wonders what is going on with Aaron Smith

I disagree with Warren Sapp that the whole defense is getting old and/or slow (particularly Casey Hampton, who I think has been playing great football), but Aaron certainly has not looked the same as years past.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

Maybe Smith is not sitting because it would raise the question WTF the Steelers were thinking in not at least renegotiating the salary of 35 year old player who did not make it past October the last 2 seasons but is being paid $5 million?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote