Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default We have serious issues

I won't even go into the O-line problems...because we all knew that before the season started. The FO decision to ignore the O-line is a curious one to me...but we are getting what we expected... a mess.

What really concerns me is our D-line. The Colts and Ravens both man handled our D-lineman. The LB's have bodies in their face consistently. Smith, Hood, and Hampton are getting blocked with regularity. We look soft. I can't recall the last season that our front 7 was physically beaten 2 games...and we've only completed 3 games.

Before you start saying we gave them 13 points on turnovers.... you can't ignore the fact that we knew they were going to run but struggled to stop it....not to mention that will be the worst QB's we will play all season - period.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,098 Times in 4,592 Posts
Default Re: We have serious issues

hampton is getting chopped down at the knees on a regular basis. he cant be blocked one on one, and a double team seldom works.

chop blocks and cut blocks is the only way they can address him and our run stuffing dominance while still giving a bit of extra attention to our edge rushers.

you see this play out clear as day when reviewing the tape.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I agree with you. I usually am a homer for veteran players but I think we should consider starting an all "H" D line:

Heyward, Hampton, Hood
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

I think the OL play is more worrisome than the defense.

Scott has struggled and I don't think Legursky is a starting offensive guard. I much rather have Foster in there.
Tackle situation is problematic.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow

You're damn right. There are very serious issues with this ball club. The offensive line is absolutely atrocious. I would go so far as to say that this isn't a modern NFL offense. While the rest of the league is shattering records and putting up points, the Steelers struggle mightily on offense. And the worst part, is that this is nothing new. There have been problems with consistency with this group for quite some time. And yes, it would have to boil down to the offensive line. I don't see this team going very far. I also see Ben regressing as a QB because of it. I don't what the hell is actually going in the city of Pittsburgh, but if I were a fan living there or if I was a season ticket holder, I would be absolutely livid over the bungling of the offensive line. Get the right players and get them in there.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
hampton is getting chopped down at the knees on a regular basis. he cant be blocked one on one, and a double team seldom works.

chop blocks and cut blocks is the only way they can address him and our run stuffing dominance while still giving a bit of extra attention to our edge rushers.

you see this play out clear as day when reviewing the tape.

The chop blocks are occurring, but not on most plays. It's happened maybe a handful of times. That doesn't explain the Ravens and Colts running the ball down our throats when we KNOW they are going to run.

What I'm seeing is Hampton and our DE's getting pushed backwards or out of the play.... all 4 d-lineman are getting blocked.... The LB's have guys in their face and aren't hitting the RB till 3-5 yards past the LOS.

You NEVER use to see our D-linemen get blocked like we are seeing in the first 3 weeks so far. I'm shocked at how bad Smith looks right now. Farrior needs to be playing more...Foote sucks.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I won't even go into the O-line problems...because we all knew that before the season started. The FO decision to ignore the O-line is a curious one to me...but we are getting what we expected... a mess.

What really concerns me is our D-line. The Colts and Ravens both man handled our D-lineman. The LB's have bodies in their face consistently. Smith, Hood, and Hampton are getting blocked with regularity. We look soft. I can't recall the last season that our front 7 was physically beaten 2 games...and we've only completed 3 games.

Before you start saying we gave them 13 points on turnovers.... you can't ignore the fact that we knew they were going to run but struggled to stop it....not to mention that will be the worst QB's we will play all season - period.
The Colts line was super fast....Corners and safeties knew our run blocking...telegraphed...

The offensive coaching needs unpredictability...good teams tee of us.

As far as defensive line....no pressure...and linebackers lost in space no sacks
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Maybe even McClendon may be an improvement over Smith.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy

Where do you go from here? The only decent o linemen are Pouncey and Kemo, how do you play the rest of the season with no o- line and as a result no run game? This is an issue that has been ignored for too long. I'm sure they'll bring in Flozell or patch the hole temporarily but when will the problem be fixed? Sure the Steelers can beat a depleted Colts D but what about next week? I'm just sayin
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Agreed that Dline is an issue, but not near the issue that the OLine is, especially now. Hood looked really bad tonight and the reason Hampton continues to get cut is because the DEs are getting mugged. Don't get me wrong, I'm not with the "start the rookie" movement, but this is a problem. They marched right down the field after the big play that usually seals games for us with a QB who's mother has never even heard of him and punched it in with very little resistance. I don't know what but something has to happen in a hurry.

The OL on the other hand. Wow, just wow. Before all the injuries it was sickening to watch. Now, I don't believe we have a capable starter other than Pouncey on the roster. I don't no what Scott's injury is, but if his leg fell off, he could have come back in and played just as well. That sack/fumble/td was 100% his fault and it wasn't even that he got beat, he looked as if he wasn't even trying. Made me want to vomit.

I've defended these guys, I know too many people exaggerate issues and whine and cry over things they don't even understand, but enough is enough. This OL will NOT work. It is not worthy of Steeler football and should not be acceptable to the FO, to the coaches, or to us. I don't blame Tomlin or Arians or Kugler, this is talent, pure and simple we severely lack talent.