Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760
Default Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
and how do you know that Smith was never asked to renegotiate?
You're missing or dodging the point my friend. When Keisel comes back, Aaorn Smith should replace him on the bench.

There's alot of yapping coming from the NFL network about this defense being old, but its noticeably old at 2 or 3 spots. Aaron Smith is one of them.

Troy and Harrison have heard the criticism and they look like they've done a 180. Farrior and Smith are what they are right now.

Any doubt they're on their way to another All-Pro season? troy's on his game. If he wouldve tackled Addai instead of whiffing at the ball his performance last night wouldve be in his top 5.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
How can you discount 10 turnovers in 2 games? Here's one from your playbook. IF the offense didn't give the ball away 10 times in 2 games we would be 3-0. Last night the defense had no say in half of their total points.
I guess my point is lost. I'm more disappointed in our D - they have been tops in most defensive categories for years. They don't look like that defense any more.

Our offense is bad. But, I didn't expect much from them given that nothing changed from last year to make me feel they would be better. We are getting more of the same each week. I'm not surprised. Are you?
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Our D is #2 in overall stats. Nuff said!
http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
SteeleReign
Team President

[QUOTE=Steeldude;947486]it was obvious the steelers' run defense was not that great. hampton and smith were pretty much manhandled. you also have to take into account how many poor throws to wide open WRs the colts threw.

the steelers are not playing well. how ell do you think it would have gone with manning at the helm?[/QUOTE]

You're not allowed to ask this quesion. We shouldn't assume Manning would have been any better.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbsteeler View Post
You're missing or dodging the point my friend. When Keisel comes back, Aaorn Smith should replace him on the bench.

There's alot of yapping coming from the NFL network about this defense being old, but its noticeably old at 2 or 3 spots. Aaron Smith is one of them.

Troy and Harrison have heard the criticism and they look like they've done a 180. Farrior and Smith are what they are right now.

Any doubt they're on their way to another All-Pro season? troy's on his game. If he wouldve tackled Addai instead of whiffing at the ball his performance last night wouldve be in his top 5.

I'm not dodging or missing squat, people are just spewing crap. Since you missed it we don't know if the Steelers asked to renegotiate the contract. Saying otherwise is just garbage.

Troy and HArrison have heard the criticism? WTF is that? Who;s ass did you pull that from?
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
theplatypus
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I guess my point is lost. I'm more disappointed in our D - they have been tops in most defensive categories for years. They don't look like that defense any more.

Our offense is bad. But, I didn't expect much from them given that nothing changed from last year to make me feel they would be better. We are getting more of the same each week. I'm not surprised. Are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMusic View Post
Our D is #2 in overall stats. Nuff said!
http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
Apparently they still are.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #27
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
I'm not sugar coating anything. THe simple fact is at least half the stuff the sky is falling crowd spews is absolute garbage. Our offense has given the ball away 10 times in 3 games and 13 times in the last 4. You can't blame the defense when they're constantly asked to defend a 10 yard field. When's the last time you heard of a team winning after turning the ball over 7 times? What's the W/L percentage when turning the ball over 3 times in a game?
Listen. I hear what you're saying. We are basically fighting over which smells worse, cat shi! or dog shit!. They both stink.

My point is that I'm more disappointed in the D because I expected more from them. The offensive issues are no surprise to me. I expected what we've gotten so far...well, except for 7 TOs at B-more.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Listen. I hear what you're saying. We are basically fighting over which smells worse, cat shi! or dog shit!. They both stink.

My point is that I'm more disappointed in the D because I expected more from them. The offensive issues are no surprise to me. I expected what we've gotten so far...well, except for 7 TOs at B-more.
Again, Our D is ranked #2 overall and #1 in pass defense. And all of this with an Offense that loves to put them in bad situations and keeps them on the field all damn game.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,779 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I expected this level of drop off in the o-line (which I think they vastly improved last year) because of a combination of injuries, inexperience, and letting go one too many experienced O-lineman (Flozell or Starks should still be on this team)

I did not expect Ben's crappy-as* interceptions in these first 3 games. I also was hoping that while he is getting the ball out a little faster (it seems) he would know in his 8th season that in some situations you GOT, GOT, GOT to get rid of the ball. Blame the protection issues to an extent - but Ben gets at least 40% of the blame for turnovers IMHO.

I'm on the fence with the defense. Any chance we get A.Smith to play O-line? Lol. I'm sure he would be an upgrade at tackle lol. Hood absolutely needs to be in there at least 75% of the time after I watched last night's performance. I was willing to give Smith the benefit of the doubt and say they should split series or some kind of sharing but no way. Smith got O_W_N_E_D. There is no question - the combination of injuries over the past few seasons plus 3 straight games of getting pushed around is just getting too much. We have to have someone on the D-line who going to have a lot more fire than that. Ike made his first mistake of the season (and yes, could have been one big costly mistake) but he has been shutdown for the most part. Where the F is Timmons and Woodley? Honestly - please tell me - is it just the way Lebeau is calling it that they are dropping back more? I can't believe the lack of pressure, the way we were run on in the end, etc, etc. I believe Harrison is a lot closer to 100% after seeing him last night. I'd put him at about 90%. We need MORE PRESSURE.

After 3 games I'll give
Offense: C-
O-line play (injuries, experience((gel time)), and skill taken into account), Coughing up the ball bring them down to D-. They don't get an F and are brought up to C- because of 2 things that equals two wins out of 3 - A. Players like Wallace, Brown, Miller and Ward who have made some clutch plays and B. Third down conversion has been good.

Defense: C+
D-line play is an area of concern. It might be time to see more Hood and a little of Heyward. A.Smith's time is just about over. When you allow the Colts to run on you the way they did on the end, that isn't Steeler Defense. Waiting for players not named Harrison and Polamalu to turn up the heat on opposing QBs. Defensive backs have rebounded well after Bmore debacle IMHO

Special Teams: B
Watching Brown is like watching a juiced up version of Randle El. We have had some nice field positioning and haven't given up anything huge yet. Let's get the penalties down. Sepulvada and Suisham are doing a nice job. Give them credit for the field goals they got - we needed them after the brain fart that was the offense.

Coaching: C
Wk 1 - They deserved an F. Wk 2 - They deserved a D. Wk 3 - They now deserve a C. As Tomlin has stated - the stench is still on them. They should have never come out so flat to begin with but I feel they are sending an important message and the players are listening. They are still the team that lost ugly to Bmore - but they won't apologize for a win. Win at all costs, win in any way. That is a great attitude to have. Heart can take this team a long way - but the coaches, both offensively and defensively need to help them find an identity. They have been somewhat of a turnover machine to start this season and the defense has not been stopping the run or causing the turnovers like they want to. They are 2-1, like most of the AFC - but you gotta believe they are heading to another dogfight at Houston next week.

Here's to hoping they find there way, take it 1 game at a time, and continue building . . .

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #30
theplatypus
Team Owner

[QUOTE=SteeleReign;947507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
it was obvious the steelers' run defense was not that great. hampton and smith were pretty much manhandled. you also have to take into account how many poor throws to wide open WRs the colts threw.

the steelers are not playing well. how ell do you think it would have gone with manning at the helm?[/QUOTE]

You're not allowed to ask this quesion. We shouldn't assume Manning would have been any better.
Ask away, but it's garbage fantasy land bs. It has absolutely no bearing on the game that played on the field. You might as well be playing Dungeons and Dragons. For every "if" that you come up with I can counter with another "if" and you can't discount it because it's just a figment of your imagination.