Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers have nowhere to run

1. Faneca leaves
2. Hartings retires
3. We don't address loss of pro-bowlers with any top tier draft picks (except Pouncey)
4. We've already proven we can win with a ridiculed o-line (but just so happens Ben was having one of the best clutch seasons for a QB ever)
5. Jerome Bettis in his prime (96' to 01' seasons) would not have a HOF career behind this line. If it looks like crap, smells like crap, guess what?
6. We are one Ben season ending injury away from a seriously P'offed fan base
7. This is the worst line most have seen since the 80s and the oodles of talent is being wasted because of some serious egos in the Steelers coaching rooms. I expected a great, desperate, Colts defense - but c'mon - we shouldn't be squandering a QB like Ben the way we are - it is sinful. There are at least 12 mediocre - terrible teams with lame QBs that get great protection. Don't give me better running back or Ben's style of play.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine

and just to bolster my argument - take a look at the line in the XL season, especially when we last played the Colts in Indy in divisionals - Ben stood tall in the pocket, had loads of time, and they came out firing like a well-oiled machine. Ben is dangerous - but when Ben has time, he is unbeatable. Get the guy some fricken protection.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i am pissed off at how the Steelers handled this off-season.. they ignored guys like Bryant Mckinnie and Andre Gurode, who the Ravens of all teams ended up signing for cheap and are now flourishing.. meanwhile, we let both tackles go, kept Aaron Smith and his ridiculous contract around, and did absolutely nothing to improve the oline. yeah, locking up a couple key guys was nice.. but damn did they ever miss the boat here.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

I spent last night watching a game and seeing a Steeler team that cannot run the football. The Chief is probably mortified, when have the Steelers not had a decent running game. I think Mendenhall is gun shy, after Ray-Ray hit him and put him out for the season his rookie year he seems afraid to run with aggression. If you take a look when Nata (SP?) blew through the line and hit him the first game of the season, Mendenhall's eyes said it all. I truly believe your line plays to quality, what I mean by that is you want to block for someone that is going to run with 100% percent passion, like their hair is on fire. If you think about it, the Steelers of old NEVER abandoned the run, the Steelers of today abandon the run in a heartbeat, IMO it is time to get back to basics, its time to get back to Steeler football, use the run to open up the pass, not vice versa!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I spent last night watching a game and seeing a Steeler team that cannot run the football. The Chief is probably mortified, when have the Steelers not had a decent running game. I think Mendenhall is gun shy, after Ray-Ray hit him and put him out for the season his rookie year he seems afraid to run with aggression. If you take a look when Nata (SP?) blew through the line and hit him the first game of the season, Mendenhall's eyes said it all. I truly believe your line plays to quality, what I mean by that is you want to block for someone that is going to run with 100% percent passion, like their hair is on fire. If you think about it, the Steelers of old NEVER abandoned the run, the Steelers of today abandon the run in a heartbeat, IMO it is time to get back to basics, its time to get back to Steeler football, use the run to open up the pass, not vice versa!
Rashard was running just fine last year, with the Lewis hit even fresher in his memory, so I think we can put that theory to rest. He's steadily added more moves to his repertoire over the years, but they're not helping, only hurting. They all seem to be flourish, with no substance to them. He's getting in his own way, probably thinking too much.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Rashard was running just fine last year, with the Lewis hit even fresher in his memory, so I think we can put that theory to rest. He's steadily added more moves to his repertoire over the years, but they're not helping, only hurting. They all seem to be flourish, with no substance to them. He's getting in his own way, probably thinking too much.
Maybe he can clear his mind by watching more series from the bench with Redman playing?

Ed.B. of the P-G says his story tomorrow will focus on the problems with the running game - my bet is Ed is not laying all the blame on the O line
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Maybe he can clear his mind by watching more series from the bench with Redman playing?

Ed.B. of the P-G says his story tomorrow will focus on the problems with the running game - my bet is Ed is not laying all the blame on the O line
No. It's clear that Rashard has to reconsider his approach. It's not working. At all. I still think he's a supremely talented athlete who should be setting the world on fire. We'll see...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Well mabe he needs to use this as is motivation (Warning this might break your heart)

Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Kovacevic: Steelers have nowhere to run
By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 26, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS At least some of the shrapnel from the Steelers' season-opening implosion in Baltimore has begun to reassemble.

It's scattershot, but it's there.

That old defense finally found its first turnover thanks to James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, even if leaks still sprung. Ben Roethlisberger has found another notch to his throwing, even if a few of his decisions have been stupefying. And Mike Wallace has amazingly found a path to make his fantasy of 2,000 receiving yards come true.

The pieces, if not the whole, show promise. But as this fabulously flawed 23-20 victory over the Peyton-free Indianapolis Colts illustrated Sunday night, the glue has gone missing.

And that glue, from this vantage point high atop Lucas Oil Stadium, looked a lot like a running game.

Yeah, I know ... what running game?

Rashard Mendenhall carried 18 times for 37 yards, a meager 2.1 per attempt. Mewelde Moore added nine yards, Isaac Redman six, and the Steelers as a whole rushed for a whopping 67. Through three games, Mendenhall has a total of 148 yards and a single touchdown.

That's ridiculous.

"It was tough sledding out there," Mendenhall told me with a slight head shake. "We're going to need to run at some point, so it's something we're going to need to work on."

Maybe it was no coincidence, but coach Mike Tomlin used the same term.
"It was tough sledding all night for the most part in that area," Tomlin said. "We've got to do better."

They most certainly do. Anyone thinking the Steelers can return to this same stadium for Super Bowl XLVI without a semblance of a running game is fooling themselves.

No, I'm not partaking in the prehistoric notion that they need to play "Steelers football," either. I know this team doesn't have a Jerome Bettis, I know the line has been awful, and I know the don't-touch-anyone NFL has become a passing league. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has every reason to think pass first.
But here's a sample of what happens when you can't run at all: Of the Steelers' 16 third-down plays, 12 were third-and-7 or longer. Five of the latter were converted because of good passes by Roethlisberger, but five were incompletions, and two others resulted in sacks and lost fumbles that led to Indianapolis points.

The Colts knew what was coming and adjusted.

The same Colts who had allowed an average of 136 yards through their first two losses, fourth-highest in the NFL.

"It's very important that we get that running back," receiver Hines Ward said. "We're a much more balanced team when we're doing that, and it really opens up the middle of the field for me and Heath Miller to make catches, too. It helps everything. When you can't run, you get one-dimensional. But you know, it's the third week. We're still getting comfortable."
Nail in the head. We must find a running game. Balance is key. Thats how we got to the super bowl last year.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote