Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: OL Question, is the Talent or the coaching??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It's talent - IMO Kugler is a better coach than his predecessor

They were not All-Pros and injuries are part of the game, but the Steelers caught 2 bad breaks by Starks eating his way out of a job and Colon being lost for the season in week one

However, if Adams would have been signed for another year the Steelers could have put Colon at RG, which is a better fit for him and then could try to see if Gilbert could be thrown into the deep end at LT (which they still may do if they decide to put Essex at RT).

Of course to bring Adams back woudl have required finding $5 million to cut somewhere else, and Aaron Smith apparently has compromising photos of Tomlin and Colbert that made him untouchable (not just this year but not putting him on IR in 2010) even though he has broken down and can no longer play. Smith is exhibit #1 (Farrior may be turning into exhibit #1A) of the danger of holding on to players for old times sake
Bottom line is the Steelers neglected drafting on the OL for years and it has caught up with them
So true. Not sure when the philosophy changed - maybe when Tomlin came aboard? The modus operandi for years was that the Steelers didn't keep players past their prime with big contracts. Now, the change in philosophy has begun to wear this team down to a nub.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts

coaching could help. one of the things that has been scratching my head since week 1 was why chris scott made the team and hills didn't, and why ramon foster is on the bench for legursky.

god forbid if we need chris scott to ever play. he has looked extremely bad in every position he's played so far. everytime chris scott is mentioned I wonder why the hell did we cut hills. did he insult tomlin's grandma or something?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
So true. Not sure when the philosophy changed - maybe when Tomlin came aboard? The modus operandi for years was that the Steelers didn't keep players past their prime with big contracts. Now, the change in philosophy has begun to wear this team down to a nub.
This crew has won two Super Bowls and played in three, which makes it a little harder to say goodbye - you know you have won it all with them and hope to squeeze out another title

Same thing happened with the 70s Steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
This crew has won two Super Bowls and played in three, which makes it a little harder to say goodbye - you know you have won it all with them and hope to squeeze out another title

Same thing happened with the 70s Steelers
tomlin was/still is a very young coach. perhaps he has seemingly hung on to vets james, aaron, and hines as a security blanket and insurance for his success. its entirely likely him and the rooneys feel they owe them the dignity to ride off into the sunset.

i know thats not how the cut throat nfl works, but it is kinda how the rooneys operate.

there arent 3 veterans who have more control of the lockerroom than smith, ward, and farrior. if they are on board with tomlin, the entire team is. if they arent, the teams isnt.

teh reason they seem to have a golden ticket could be the exact same reason he sent porter and faneca packing. they were too strong of personalities and clubhouse presenses, that they would not allow him to establish his own identity with the team.

just a theory.

as for the 0-line, i think its scouting and talent. 3rd and 4th round linemen should be able to make this team w/o being cut in favor of udfa's and 6th-7th rounders.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
tomlin was/still is a very young coach. perhaps he has seemingly hung on to vets james, aaron, and hines as a security blanket and insurance for his success. its entirely likely him and the rooneys feel they owe them the dignity to ride off into the sunset.

i know thats not how the cut throat nfl works, but it is kinda how the rooneys operate.

there arent 3 veterans who have more control of the lockerroom than smith, ward, and farrior. if they are on board with tomlin, the entire team is. if they arent, the teams isnt.
Maybe - but IMO this team belongs to Tomlin and Ben now (second oldest player on the offense). Tomlin has coached them to 2 Super Bowls and Ben appears to have matured, although he has been as careless with the ball as anytime since 2006

At some point you cannot afford to play vets in decline even if you have to pay them.. Smith is staying on the field and getting blown up - the coaches simply may be shocked he cannot play anymore. OTOH Farrior is being yanked for Foote - the coaches clearly see a problem there

The schedule is too soft for a 2006 style early season crack-up but my guess is there is going to be a significant reassessment after what i sense is going to be a beat down in Houston
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
it's both talent and coaching.

how can you not tell scott to bend? he was totally upright on seemingly every play
Maybe he is telling him and it's not happening. You learn in pop warner how to bend and get a good stance and approach, if your in the NFL and still don't know that then have a seat.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post

I have been saying this for a while, and it is NOT Tomlin. The ownership of the Steelers has changed, and young Mr. Rooney still needs to learn what the elder statesman already knows- the best NFL teams, year in and year out, are the ones that build themselves using young talent.

The teams that depend on signing big names, are usually doing so at the expense of their future.

We gave Big Ben ($100+ million), James Harrison ($57 million), Polamalu, Woodley, Timmons, and I*ke big contracts, whereas in past years, we would have likely let some of those guys walk.

In doing so-- we have mortgaged our future to a degree. The moves you make now, don't affect you until three or four years down the road when the birds come home to roost.

One can argue that the point of the NFL is to win championships, and if you have a championship-caliber team NOW, you are better off making a gamble and keeping that winning formula for as long as you can, even if it means a rebuilding phase later.

But that is a point for another discussiion.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
The schedule is too soft for a 2006 style early season crack-up but my guess is there is going to be a significant reassessment after what i sense is going to be a beat down in Houston
Ayah...I would love to disagree, but I have no ammunition to fight that fight. I can only hope this team, which tends to play down to the level of the competition, will also play up to the better teams they face this year.

If they play like they did against Baltimore and Indy, this is going to get U-G-L-Y....