Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Some Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
And after every first down catch it resulted in Brown channeling Santonio Holmes and pointing forward I wish Tomlin would tell him to lose that

I agree with those who say Brown should pass Sanders (who had a drop on the first drive and screwed up by leaping over the DB after the late first half INT by Ben) on the depth chart
I personally like it. Its that confidence that made Santonio so clutch.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Sooooo - anyone feel better about our chances against Patriots? Looking very beatable all of a sudden because they are getting utterly scored on.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,284 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

until our offense can start scoring and not turning the ball over, no.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Sooooo - anyone feel better about our chances against Patriots? Looking very beatable all of a sudden because they are getting utterly scored on.
I have faith in this team, that they can pull it together and start playing Steelers football. Right now though, seeing what I saw last night, we won't beat anybody, maybe some bottom feeders. We might have a better chance with our defense vs their offense then last game IF our defense is playing how they were that time last year simply because we should know what to look for. But the problem is we will have to score still, and with this O line we can't. No running game, which I put 75% on the O line, and zero time. We have one of the best QB's in the league, one of the best TE's in football and maybe the best receiving corps in football and we still struggle passing because of this line. Without the line "patched up" I don't see us beating any quality team, and I think we are a long way from beating a top team. I say patched up because I think we can get the line good enough with just adding one more player, Adams. We have a great center, Gilbert looks like he's going to play well, our guards (Kemo and Foster, not Legursky) aren't great but we can get by with them, we just need a good blindside tackle and we can win correctly again. It won't be a great line by any means, but we've one with lines similar to the quality of the line I described.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Sure they look beatable if your offense can put up 40 points and have the ball last. If the Steelers come out from jump with 5 wide no huddle and commit to it, they have a chance. On d jam the midget welker as hard as they legally can at los and send Harrison and Woodley on every down. Neither of them should ever drop into coverage.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Personally I feel worse because every time they lose like that they just come back 20x stronger the next week
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,073 Times in 2,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Right now though, seeing what I saw last night, we won't beat anybody, maybe some bottom feeders. We might have a better chance with our defense vs their offense then last game IF our defense is playing how they were that time last year simply because we should know what to look for. But the problem is we will have to score still, and with this O line we can't. No running game, which I put 75% on the O line, and zero time. We have one of the best QB's in the league, one of the best TE's in football and maybe the best receiving corps in football and we still struggle passing because of this line. Without the line "patched up" I don't see us beating any quality team, and I think we are a long way from beating a top team. I say patched up because I think we can get the line good enough with just adding one more player, Adams. We have a great center, Gilbert looks like he's going to play well, our guards (Kemo and Foster, not Legursky) aren't great but we can get by with them, we just need a good blindside tackle and we can win correctly again. It won't be a great line by any means, but we've one with lines similar to the quality of the line I described.
people said the EXACT same thing in '08 after the eagles game, and then again last year when we got beat by the saints and patriots.

that still didnt prevent us from going to the superbowl.

and whats with this struggle in the passing game? so far wallace has the 2nd most yards of any receiver and ben is ranked 6th in total yards passing just behind the likes of brady, brees, stafford and rivers (of course he has 10 or more fewer attempts than all of them.)

his 63% comp isnt the greatest but is still respectable. he is pretty much right where he has been for his entire career when having a good season, which is championship calibur qb'ing.

is he gonna get killed aned suffer a career ending injury? of course he is, just like he was since he headbutted a moving crown victoria.

but until that time gets here, he just keeps on keeping on and doing what he has been doing, which for the most part, is winning games and going to superbowls.

his 3 td total for the year is abysmal, but then again, this offense isnt designed for him to have more than 2 td's in a game (unless 1 is on a scramble).
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
people said the EXACT same thing in '08 after the eagles game, and then again last year when we got beat by the saints and patriots.
I didn't.....

The then eagles, saints, patriots, giants don't compare to the colts, the seahawks. Big difference.

Quote:
that still didnt prevent us from going to the superbowl.
Well, you have established we could make the Super Bowl. Mathmatically, we haven't been eliminated, so you're correct.

Is it likley? No.

Quote:
and whats with this struggle in the passing game? so far wallace has the 2nd most yards of any receiver and ben is ranked 6th in total yards passing just behind the likes of brady, brees, stafford and rivers (of course he has 10 or more fewer attempts than all of them.)
Throwing for yards is meaningless, and a overrated a statistic in football.

Teams throw the ball to score points, not to rack up yards. Brady, Brees, Stafford haven't just thrown for yards, they've thrown for points. For all of those yards, the Steelers don't have many points to show for it.

Quote:
his 63% comp isnt the greatest but is still respectable. he is pretty much right where he has been for his entire career when having a good season, which is championship calibur qb'ing.
Championship caliber with the right pieces in place, namely a dominant defense. I don't see a dominant defense.

They could change some things around, I guess. We'll see.

Quote:
his 3 td total for the year is abysmal, but then again, this offense isnt designed for him to have more than 2 td's in a game (unless 1 is on a scramble).
I'm sorry, I don't believe that. This offense is designed for Ben to throw as many TD passes as he can. Apparently, he can only throw 3 in 3 games.

Last edited by cloppbeast; 09-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

It's a marathon- not how you start but how you finish. I agree the team needs work and definitely improvement but sky is falling bs gets old when we all have seen this team respond before. With the exception of 2009 this is a team that usually gets better as the year goes on . Hopefully we see some changes this week against the Texans since I think they are by far the biggest challenge that our D has had to deal with thus far.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,073 Times in 2,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I didn't.....

The then eagles, saints, patriots, giants don't compare to the colts, the seahawks. Big difference.

im sure the saints thought there was a big difference as well, right before the seahawks bounced them from the playoffs 4 games ago.

Well, you have established we could make the Super Bowl. Mathmatically, we haven't been eliminated, so you're correct.

Is it likley? No.

when was the last time it was considered "likely" that the steelers would reach the superbowl? 06 and 09? past records indicate its not likely that the packers, patriots, jets, saints, chargers, ravens, etc reach it, as well.

Throwing for yards is meaningless, and a overrated a statistic in football.

Teams throw the ball to score points, not to rack up yards. Brady, Brees, Stafford haven't just thrown for yards, they've thrown for points. For all of those yards, the Steelers don't have many points to show for it.

throwing for yards cant be meaningless if teams throw the ball to score points. wallace had the longest touchdown of his career last sunday. how is that any more meaningless than the 2 yard td he caught the week before?

Championship caliber with the right pieces in place, namely a dominant defense. I don't see a dominant defense.

They could change some things around, I guess. We'll see.

of course youre not gonna see a dominant defense. you cant even recognize their defensive stats. all stats to you are meaningless. i saw 2 defensive mvp's ( one being 1 of the most dominant defenders since reggie white, d. sanders, and lawrence talor on sunday

I'm sorry, I don't believe that. This offense is designed for Ben to throw as many TD passes as he can. Apparently, he can only throw 3 in 3 games.
you believe some really strange stuff then. manning and bradys offens is designed to throw as many td's as possible.

bens offense is (and has always been) designed to get a 14-21 point lead and then take the air out of the ball.

i guess i really dont care if you believe it, but it would bug me if other people bought this spew. the proof is in the pudding, and the facts are undeniable.

do the research. how many times has ben thrown for more than 3 td's in a game during his 8 year career? i can count 1 off hand (5td's vs ravens in 1st half). what happened in the 2nd half? ben had 3 throws. the steelers turtle shell'd it.

he mighta had 4 vs green bay.

they take their foot off the throttle (unlike offenses designed to let the qb throw for as many ts's as possible). it almost cost us a playoff win in indy in 05.

take a look at every game where ben has had a 140.0-158.3 passer rating. off hand, im quickly thinking of vs titans and texans in 05 and vs chiefs in o6. they build a sizable lead and then the 2nd half is comprised of 5 possessions of run-run-run-punt.

of course i'm exaggerating a bit, but anyone who follows the steelers knows thats exactly how their offense is, and has been dating back to cowher.

and why wouldnt it be? cowher only had an elite qb for the 1st 3 years of bens career, and he never lost a game using that philosophy with a 10 point lead. he was like