Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,779 Times in 2,940 Posts
Default Enough Is Enough: Offense Needs New Gameplan

i thought this was well written and sums up quite nicely what about 50% of the fans have been saying for a few years.

(the other 50% think lebeau is too old and polamalu is replaceable)

Quote:
Since his hiring in 2007, I rarely criticized Steelers' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians for his game planning and play calling. Even when the offense sputtered and the playcalling seemed questionable, you could always point to execution as a reason of fault. After Sunday night's game against the Colts, enough is enough.

The Steelers faced a rushing defense which had been terrible for the better part of the last two decades. Yet, Sunday night, Pittsburgh came out throwing and became one dimensional from start to finish. Consequently, the Colts teed off on a bad offensive line who was protecting a quarterback with a high tendency to hold onto the ball too long. While that offensive strategy worked in the first quarter, by the end of the first half, the Steelers had turned the ball over three times leading to 13 points for the Colts.

When the Steelers did try to run, they pulled guards, tight ends, wide receivers and just about anything else they could get their hands on. Why is this a bad idea?

1) If the Colts have a strength on defense, it's their speed and athleticism. Running a play that takes time to develop plays into that speed. Imagine how dumb a team would look if they tried to run wide on the Steelers every play.
2) You're putting your trust in a line with no chemistry. Even before Doug Legursky, Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert went down, this was only the second game where they all played together.
3) With a defense so fast and athletic, they are also extremely light. A power run game would tire out the defense, especially when you know their offense will be held in check.

While the bomb to Mike Wallace is an awesome play, it does nothing to wear down the defense. A solid running game would not only wear down the defense, it would set up playaction for Ben to throw deep to the fastest receiver in the league.

But the lack of rushing has been a problem since Arians took over the offense. Since 2008, the Steelers have not finished above 11th in the league in rushing. Since Arians refuses to implement a fullback, the offense has not only struggled to run, but struggled to score in the red zone. At one point, last season, the Steelers were ranked 27th in the league in red zone efficiency. Last week against Seattle, the Steelers were stuffed four straight times inside the five yard line. How many years are the Steelers going to struggle at the goal line before they finally make the adjustment?

While Roethlisberger and his electric wide receivers are among the best in the NFL, their usage in the offense mismatches their talent. The Steelers probably throw more wide receiver screens than any team in the league. But they throw the screens to Hines Ward and Heath Miller, the two slowest pass catchers on the team. Twice, against the Colts, Heath Miller caught the ball on a delay screen.

Both plays went for three yards.

As someone who has never played or coached in the NFL, it is hard for me to call for a coach's head. However, the offense has struggled for the last four years, in Pittsburgh. The offensive game plans are, well, offensive. With an elite level quarterback, running back and core of wide receivers, the offense should be further along by now. The goal should be to win the game and you win by attacking your opponents' weaknesses. The Steelers avoid adapting their game plan and they, at times, become too stubborn to switch things up when the offense is struggling. If you are facing a team that is tremendously undersized on defense and unmanned on offense, pound the football. If you are facing a team that has a strong front seven and weak secondary (like, the Texans?) then the game plan should focus on a balanced attack with quick passes to neutralize the threat of a pass rushing defensive lineman.

Unfortunately, Bruce Arians will probably try to fit a square peg into a round hole against the Houston Texans. The Steelers will most likely reshuffle their offensive line due to the injuries from Sunday's game. And, again, the Steelers will face a hostile crowd and a difficult pass rush. If the Pittsburgh Steelers start the game trying to stretch the field, Ben will get crushed.

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/conte...n-jon-pennline
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,773 Posts
Default Re: Enough Is Enough: Offense Needs New Gameplan

Good article.

Sums up arians in a nut shell. To arrogant or thick headed to make simple adjustments.

Quote:
How many years are the Steelers going to struggle at the goal line before they finally make the adjustment?
Till arians is gone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,052 Times in 2,588 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

fire arians!

also im glad other people are seeing that the screen passes to miller and h. ward are just idiotic. try the same screen passes to mendenhall or brown and we might see different results. ward and miller aren't quick enough to beat defenders in the open field. it doesn't take an nfl caliber OC to figure that one out.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Romeo Crennel Fired Dude...you know how bad you have to be to be fired by the bad coach of a bad football team? that says alot to me
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

That sums it up pretty well. We pass when we should be running. And then when we get a running game going it's like OK we proved we can run now let's get back to what me and Ben want to do.

Every QB wants to throw the ball-----all day. But why do we have offensive coordinators? Because all QB's want to throw the ball----all day. If you have a lousy D like New England you throw all day. (4 ints by the way). I had to put that in there. We have a pretty good D. Even though we're old slow and it's over. So 60-40 don't you think would not be to much to ask. One word__REDMAN!!!___________ I'm just sayin'
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Romeo Crennel Fired Dude...you know how bad you have to be to be fired by the bad coach of a bad football team? that says alot to me
Wasn't Belicheat fired from the same team Crennelephant was?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,779 Times in 2,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
... Crennelephant...
now thats hella funny.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,838 Posts

It may not be my favorite offensive coordinator who is to blame

This from Ed.B. of the P-G in his online chat today

Mike Tomlin said something interesting today that we all should have picked up on. He said many times the QB is given an option of plays and he calls them at the line. Maybe he's calling the wrong ones at times, and not BA. I wrote today that many of the run plays that were called were not the ones they practiced last week.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

Given my view of Arians, i could see Arians anonymously telling Ed.B. that the running plays were not what was practiced and throwing Ben under the bus.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It may not be my favorite offensive coordinator who is to blame

This from Ed.B. of the P-G in his online chat today

Mike Tomlin said something interesting today that we all should have picked up on. He said many times the QB is given an option of plays and he calls them at the line. Maybe he's calling the wrong ones at times, and not BA. I wrote today that many of the run plays that were called were not the ones they practiced last week.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

Given my view of Arians, i could see Arians anonymously telling Ed.B. that the running plays were not what was practiced and throwing Ben under the bus.
Maybe so, but that can also tell me that Ben doesn't respect B.A. any more than us fans. And that is a concern. Even though Ben was younger, he never would have done that with Whiz running the O.
Time is for a OC that can adjust to what the D is giving us, andfor the type of team we have, a team that still needs to run the ball, we need an OC that likes using pure fullbacks from time to time. We haven't had one since Krieder, D.J can't block. There is a dman good FB that was let go by Miami, Lousaka Polite. He would be a welcome addition here, IMO, and let go of D.J.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,052 Times in 2,588 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

fullback would definitely help. I think mendenhall is the type of back that would greatly benefit by following a lead blocker. and that's not a knock on him, just his running style. Im sure emmit smith wouldn't have broken the rushing record if it wasn't for moose johnston
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote