Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,684 Posts
Default Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays

Good column in the Trib-Review

It's time for the Steelers to face their shortcomings head-on, from the rancid running game to the backward blocking game to allowing some clipboard-holder named Curtis Painter to march the Colts 80 yards for a late tying touchdown.

Start with the defense, if only because it's the most realistic to repair quickly.

From there, start by fixing whatever ails LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, two young men who were rising-star linebackers in the NFL, oh, just a few months ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_759056.html

Woodley always starts slow - to me Timmoins has been a bigger disappointment since i thought this was the year he made the leap to All-Pro status
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
adamsteve14
Water Boy

Member Number: 16638
Default Re: Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays

My impression of their situation is this: Woodley has been negatively affected by the drop off in A. Smith's play. Smith isn't eating blocks like he used to and Woodley is catching more double teams than in previous years. Timmons has been staying at home a lot more due to Polamalu's freelancing now that he is healthy again. I also feel like Timmons has to cover up a lot for Farrior in coverage as well.
adamsteve14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,644 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I fully expect 1 of them will get to Schaub - he doesn't have a lot of experience against this defense.

That said - like the article stated, we haven't really had that many blitzes called so we'll see.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

3 f*ckin games. Relax. Wait until we gel, put on the snow tires and knock some bitches around here in Nov/December. I have faith in this linebacking core, ESP Timmons. We need him to blow up the middle of the line with his blazing speed with dialed up blitzes. IMHO, Timmons needs to get after the QB more.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree with Woodley being affected by Smith's poor performance. Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves. Its harder for a power guy to get through a double team, regardless though, he needs to find a way to do more. We need to blitz him and Harrison more. Timmons is really dissapointing, seems like he has burnt a lot already. Neither of these guys are remotely old and they are now the face and future of the defense, hope these guys step up.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

They got what they wanted.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves.
What does picking up chicks have to do with playing olb? I could care less about Woodley's "moves".
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
adamsteve14
Water Boy

Member Number: 16638

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?
I agree to an extent. I think a rotation of Hood/Heyward/Keisel would be best. Keisel still has a place in this defense. Smith, not so much.
adamsteve14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

It's too early to pass a final verdict on Aaron Smith. It's only 3 games, and before that he hadn't played since October.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote