Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #41
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Mendy?

Well you should have read the entire post SoCalFan, I said he is a good back, but with our scheme he doesnt work as well as Redman. If we are to keep BA, my thoughts are trade him while he is worth something since, while he is good, he wont work in BA's no FB scheme. Or, as i would prefer, get a real OC in here so he can have a blocking FB in there. As much as everyone loved Bettis, he had a top blocking back in front of him! BA wont get a real FB so maybe if we spend his salary on a decent olineman at least Redman will have bigger holes to grind it out.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #42
Steeldude
Living Legend

trade mendenhall to move up in the draft to grab a blue chip T or G
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489

How about we do what we did the latter part of last year and line Redman up as a fullback and give him 25- 40% of the carries. I know its wishful thinking because Bruce Arians has a cream dream for the passing game and thinks an average receiver is ALWAYS a better playmaker than a good runningback. One of these days he it will dawn on him that the "game is won in trenches" cliches are founded on some sort of truth... But until then we will only run the ball when necessary.

Im going to admit something now that not many people know. I became a Steelers fan because the offense was brutal and effective. Not only could they beat you up on defense, they could knock you on your ass in the offense. Dan Kreider was the driving force in this attack. Now that Whisenhunt has proven himself an average head coach can we take him back at OC? Im sure he misses being in contention for one of those shiny rings!
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #44
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Although I love Redman, I have very serious doubts about his ability to be a full-time, every down back, especially with his endurance issues.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #45
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I'll give Mendy a pass on the tweet. Regardless of intentions, before a player tweets something - he needs to ask the question: "Is what I'm sending out there open to misinterpretation? Is this going to open me open to criticism by anyone?" If the answer is yes - just don't do it. You aren't getting paid to preach morality.

I can't sit here and say and believe Mendy feels like Bin Laden wasn't responsible at all or that it didn't affect people's lives or the country - people haven't paid the ultimate sacrifice because of the event, etc. etc., The guy doesn't deserve to die bla,bla,bla. My interpretation is that maybe he thought - "Let's be the better people and not celebrate death like some other groups do - no matter who it is." Dumb comment? Yes - because it was open to misinterpretation.

That said, my feelings are that Mendy will go the way of Parker (although I would argue Parker didn't have AS bad a line and some plays were designed for him to get him around the side or in open space - much what Mendy needs IMHO.

I agree with those that said it seems that he is thinking way too much instead of just hitting it and at least falling forward - he is at least 1/3 to blame for getting stuffed 2 to 3 yards behind the line. The other 33% is protection, the other 33% is play calling. I think the line and Mendy will bounce back and progress as the season goes on. If we win against Houston and the protection, running game struggles again - just imagine where we can go if they improve . . .

Glass is half full for this season (Although - I don't see us being able to keep Mendy and Wallace. Phew - if Wallace keeps pace we are gonna have to pay the man at least top 5 ((maybe top 3 or top top money - especially if he makes a mark in winning another SB))
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #46
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,050 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

i think i have the solution to this problem
hear me out guys .........

FIRE Arians and hire a real OC
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #47
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Barry Sanders would have led the NFL IF HE HAD A DECENT O-LINE!!!

Oh wait......he did have a terrible o-line......and he did lead the league several times.......

If a RB needs a great o-line to average more than 4.0 YPC, that RB isn't very good. 4.0 YPC isn't asking much.

Mendenhall sucks. I don't care how bad his o-line is, a first round RB should never average what Mendenhall averages. It's pathetic, actually.

General question not aimed necessarily at you: Who do you believe was the best back in Steeler's recent history? If you say Bettis, which I would not argue with, you better check his career ypc. Hint: it was less than 4. (although it was close to 4 ;) ) He had a waaaay better OL then Mendy or Parker. I will grant you that if you needed 2 or 3 he'd always get it (which is why I loved him), but he very rarely was good for more than 5-7 and almost never had a big run (he had a few, no question).
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #48
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,129 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera176 View Post
General question not aimed necessarily at you: Who do you believe was the best back in Steeler's recent history? If you say Bettis, which I would not argue with, you better check his career ypc. Hint: it was less than 4. (although it was close to 4 ;) ) He had a waaaay better OL then Mendy or Parker. I will grant you that if you needed 2 or 3 he'd always get it (which is why I loved him), but he very rarely was good for more than 5-7 and almost never had a big run (he had a few, no question).
Well your last line says it all.

Those 2 or 3 yards were what Bettis was known for and he could get you 5 if you needed 5.

I never get worked up over "career" numbers because there are countless players with great stats who were not "Playa's" when they needed to be.
On the other hand, there were many great players who never had much in the way of stats, but they got it done when it needed to be done... Bradshaw comes to mind as an example.

Bettis was his own blocker sometimes and he often made his own gaps and holes even if it meant running over (or through) his own players (something neither Mendy nor Parker could ever do on any regular basis).
All in all, if Bettis was in his prime right now, I'd rather have him than any other back we've ever had regardless of the O-line.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #49
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,457 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post

The best idea so far

don't even wait for his contract to expire, just tell him to gtfo and do our organization a favor lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #50
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,129 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post

Hmmm...

I think I've heard this mentioned before...

I can't quite remember where though.

I'll have to think about that.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote