Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18825
Default Re: Mendy taking shots at Arians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Rather than start another thread regarding why the offense is horrible, i will post the link to this insightful column in the Trib-Review here

The NFL is a scoring league. The Steelers don't score enough. They have long been dependent on phenomenal defense. Isn't it time the offense stepped up, particularly with the defense looking less than phenomenal?

Did I mention the Steelers don't score enough? They're ranked 26th in points per game and only that high because the defense scored one of their six touchdowns. They have cracked the top 10 in scoring once in coordinator Bruce Arians' five years, tying for ninth in 2007....

Yeah, the line is beat up and below average. Fall's here, too. Deal with it. The Steelers have stubbornly refused to dial up reinforcements, the way Baltimore did with Bryant McKinnie, so they must believe in their people.

Roethlisberger does. He was asked yesterday how the offense might react to a Texas shootout.

"We'll be ready," he said.

The line proved it could protect Roethlisberger during a 10-point, 177-yard first quarter Sunday. But that was before Roethlisberger got careless, allowing Robert Mathis time enough to take five laps around the stadium and crash into his back, forcing a fumble that gave the Colts life.

Two turnovers later, Indy had a halftime lead...

Finally, this offense needs to find its personality. Seems obvious the quarterback and coordinator want to be a passing team. So be one. Break out the no-huddle attack that sped 60 yards for the winning field goal Sunday.

Don't abandon Mendenhall. Run to complement the pass, the way Green Bay does.

Or go out and get somebody like Vonta Leach and smash people's faces in all day. I don't care. Just score.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_759292.html

If the Steelers are blown out Sunday (a definite possibility) the "who's to blame" anonymous quotes that have been coming from players (and coaches?) are going to ramp up
Very nice article. It would be nice to see some more no huddle for sure, maybe to start out the game to get the defense on there heels early. When it comes down to the team needing to find its identity, its gotta be that they will run you over no matter if your the Ravens or a high school team, thats the Steelers I think we all wanna see, and you get to that by using a FB like the article mentioned, to bad Arains cant see that.

I'm not to sure if Mendenhall was taking a shot at Arians or just saying that the offense as a whole must preform better, I kind of took it that the offense in general has not lived up to expectations. If the offense continues to struggle like this and the line continues to suck as much as it has I would hope the front office makes these problems a priority in the offseason.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Indeed, nice article, and it calls both Ben and Arians to task, which is cool. The line is shit, we knew that coming in, and Mendenhall needs to fix his game. But Ben and Bruce are what appear to be holding this team back the most lately.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,371 Posts

Airians is such a genius he called plays that even the offense wasn't ready for.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Airians is such a genius he called plays that even the offense wasn't ready for.
Yeah. Too bad nobody told him there's a DEFENSE on the field as well.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Mendy is going back in Tomlin's doghouse with that kind of talk.

Give dancing Mewelde a shot out of the backfield on swing passes, dink and dunk the blitz teams. Something besides running it up the gut all the time. Steelers have gotten too predictible.

But Ben & his puppet Arians will have none of it.

Bomb Mecca
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Mendy is going back in Tomlin's doghouse with that kind of talk.

Give dancing Mewelde a shot out of the backfield on swing passes, dink and dunk the blitz teams. Something besides running it up the gut all the time. Steelers have gotten too predictible.

But Ben & his puppet Arians will have none of it. We're a finesse passing team now, get over it.
Hey diddle diddle, ...Rogel up the middle!!
Rick5895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,047 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i like mendenhall a little more now. fire arians!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

"As far as the run game, it's a lot bigger than one person, than the offensive line. It's a whole mindset; it's a whole attack starting from the top, the offensive coordinator, the plays that are called, the matchups we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be productive."[

Did Mendy just call out Tomlin?

Where's old man Rooney?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,488 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
"As far as the run game, it's a lot bigger than one person, than the offensive line. It's a whole mindset; it's a whole attack starting from the top, the offensive coordinator, the plays that are called, the matchups we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be productive."[

Did Mendy just call out Tomlin?

Where's old man Rooney?
Mendy might need to recall what happened the last time a running back said the Steelers needed to commit to the run

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball....

Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934535-100.stm

Parker was on the bench the next season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,371 Posts

You should see them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote