Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #11
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17896
Default Re: Wallace: NFL's Fastest Receiver?

Haha gotta love that arrogance!!

And to the guys above; it would have been fairly accurate to have described Wallace a one-trick pony up until around the second half of last year where he really started developing his routes. This year's been exceptional and this kid will keep getting better.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it wont be long before one of our disinfranchised steelerfans starts a thread stating why wes welker is more deserving of the HOF than old man, washed up, should be benched, hines ward.
Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down ... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game? And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)

It's funny how some "fans" spend more energy sh!tting on the team and it's decisions than actually enjoying one of the best franchises in the sport. It's good to question or have differing opinions, but you really have to wonder when you see an abundance of negativity toward a team that has enjoyed great success.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Steelers could be sandbagging, but Wallace probably will not be the fastest WR in the league this weekend with a rib cartliage injury that will require him to wear a flak jacket
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,503 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steeler View Post
Haha gotta love that arrogance!!

And to the guys above; it would have been fairly accurate to have described Wallace a one-trick pony up until around the second half of last year where he really started developing his routes. This year's been exceptional and this kid will keep getting better.

There you go!

Wallace is developing and he's getting better as time goes by.

Did Wes Welker enter the league fully formed and fully able to do what he does now? Did Jackson?

No.

They, like everyone else took time to develop.
Whether Wallace is the fastest is really of no concern to me because it's always been more about WHAT you do as a receiver than HOW FAST you do it and I think Wallace (barring injury) will one day be spoken of in the same conversation with Swann, Stallworth, Rice and many of the other "best ever" receivers in the game.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Could you imagine how bad our offense would be with out Wallace?

Wallace is drawing safety help on every deep route. He will continue to get more attention as he lights up defenses with big plays. This should be helping the run game and short passing game if our OC would maybe try to disguise our pass plays. You can pretty much call every steeler play when they lineup.... it's like we are saying - it's coming what you going to do about it? Well we aren't good enough to do that. Either Arians is arrogant or stupid. (my guess is both)
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Steelers could be sandbagging, but Wallace probably will not be the fastest WR in the league this weekend with a rib cartliage injury that will require him to wear a flak jacket
I thought I heard (or read) somewhere he wasn't going to wear one..?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down
I wish those excelent routes, good hands, defensieve reads would net some results. Through 3 games he has 12 catches (half of which have probably come from bubble screens) for 117 yards, putting him on pace for 468 yards and 48 receptions. Granted, 5 of those receptions earned first downs, but Emmanuel Sanders also has 5 first downs.

Antonio Brown has 10 receptions for 156 yards and 7 first downs, and he's probably seen half as many plays as Hines. I wouldn't doubt most of Hines catches have come when Brown sat on the sideline, also.

I'd personally rather see the best player on the field. I'll give you that Hines blocks better, but I don't see what the value in WR blocking for a RB who doesn't even get passed the LOS. Maybe they should just put in Hines when Redman is in the backfield.

Look, I love Hines Ward. I appreciate everything he's done for this franchise. I love the way he plays the game. He's one of my favorite players of all time. He's probably the franchise's greatest reciever. He'd get in the HOF on the first ballot if it were up to me.

With that said, nobody can play forever, especially the way Hines has played his entire 14 year career. I want nothing more than him to get his 10,000 receptions. I'd personally rather the Steelers sacrafice some skill at WR for Hines to get there.

But if you ask me what the Steelers should do to win, then I'd have to say sit Hines. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best WR on the team.

Quote:
... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game?
Sanders has made some mistakes. He had a huge drop against the Colts, and made a poor decision to jump over that guy. But you can't seriously suggest Hines is better solely on that play. They play WR, not LB. Tackling ablity shouldn't recieve much consideration.

Perhaps we should just ask our $100 million quarterback not to make terrible throws. Just a suggestion.

In this offense, I still say Sanders fits better. If Arians was smart enought to incorporate a Wes Welker type of role in this offense, I'd be all about it. Hines would fill that role perfectly. But frankly, I don't see that happening.

Quote:
And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)
Yes, I would.

Perhaps you missed Arians quote where he said he keeps Mendy in on goal-line plays because he deserves the TD.

For Arians winning is a key metric for his employment; fortunately for him whether he implements a good offense or not, apparently has little to do with whether his team wins. Evidenced by his 2 Super Bowl appearences while never actually implementing a good offense.

Quote:
It's funny how some "fans" spend more energy sh!tting on the team and it's decisions than actually enjoying one of the best franchises in the sport. It's good to question or have differing opinions, but you really have to wonder when you see an abundance of negativity toward a team that has enjoyed great success.
Some fans just call it like they see it. Sometimes they see it positively, other times they see it negatively. Personally, I'm not just going to be positive all the time just because they've won a lot. What happened the last 10 years has nothing to do with happens this year.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Perhaps you missed Arians quote where he said he keeps Mendy in on goal-line plays because he deserves the TD.
What Arians actually said was that they pulled Mendy because he bounced outside on a prior play that called for him to run up the middle. After seeing the tape, they found he made the right move to the outside and they should not have pulled him ... he did deserve it. Here's his quote so you get the context ...

"That's Rashard's job. There was one play [against the Seahawks], he bounced the play outside and he actually made the right read. We took him out because he didn't hit it straight up in there, but he was right, we should have left him in there.

"He's done too good a job inside the 5. That goal-line run against Seattle where he spun and hit it, that was a great job. No, that's his job."

Quote:
For Arians winning is a key metric for his employment; fortunately for him whether he implements a good offense or not, apparently has little to do with whether his team wins. Evidenced by his 2 Super Bowl appearences while never actually implementing a good offense.
Look, I'm not a huge fan of Arians (don't even get me started about the lack of a true FB on this team), but I do believe the guy puts his best into making the right substitutions to give the team the best chance to win and that he truely believes in his play calls. I just don't buy that he plays favorites. Brown and Sanders have awesome talent and will no doubt be #2 & #3 next year (or maybe later this year).

Quote:
Some fans just call it like they see it. Sometimes they see it positively, other times they see it negatively. Personally, I'm not just going to be positive all the time just because they've won a lot. What happened the last 10 years has nothing to do with happens this year.
The past 10 years? How about since 1970? You seem to think this franchise has suddenly fallen off a cliff this year? Hell, I remember the 3-4 start of the '95 season when it looked like the Steelers appeared totally inept. Although they lost to the Cowboys in the SB that year, our team was still playing in the final game when most others were on the golf course. Hey, I have plenty of opinions, but the complaint department is well secured by a few posters (probably multiple accounts under one person ... Thumper reincarnated).
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Look, I'm not a huge fan of Arians (don't even get me started about the lack of a true FB on this team), but I do believe the guy puts his best into making the right substitutions to give the team the best chance to win and that he truely believes in his play calls. I just don't buy that he plays favorites. Brown and Sanders have awesome talent and will no doubt be #2 & #3 next year (or maybe later this year).
Either way, we make an assumption.

Often, we assume these coaches are infallible, but actually they're people like everybody else. Just like any other boss, he could possibly play favorites. We've all had bosses who do. Neither you, nor I know whether Arians would or wouldn't play favorites. We just guess.

We've all read the articles of former Steelers players suggesting Cowher and Tomlin both treated Ben differently than other players. Coaches do it sometimes, and there's really no way for fans to know either way.

So, for the sake of this discussion, we should at least consider the possiblity Arains could play favorites, because we really don't know.

Quote:
The past 10 years? How about since 1970? You seem to think this franchise has suddenly fallen off a cliff this year?
I don't discredit what this franchise has accomplished through the years. The past success doesn't ensure future succes, that's all.

Quote:
Hell, I remember the 3-4 start of the '95 season when it looked like the Steelers appeared totally inept. Although they lost to the Cowboys in the SB that year, our team was still playing in the final game when most others were on the golf course
I really enjoyed the '95 season. They made me proud.

This is 2011.

Quote:
Hey, I have plenty of opinions, but the complaint department is well secured by a few posters
I don't think they're very good. That's my opinion. I admit that I hope I'm wrong, but my opinion is what it is. I call it like I see it, and I'm not a bad fan for doing so.

This is a forum, which I thought was a place to discuss our opinions. Apparently, it's just a place where fans discuss how their team is better than everybody else, even dispite contrary evidence.

This is the first year I can recall ever complaining about the Steelers, at least in this decade. I've had no reason to complain untill now because they've always been good.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

i thought ike was faster than Wallace