Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
BIGNASTY91
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18495
My Mood: Amused
Default Sad but True

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_759292.html

Its the same thing we have all been saying on here! Why cant the team realize what everybody else does????????
BIGNASTY91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Sad but True

Good article.... well said.

Tomlin needs to start acting like a Head Coach and tell his O-coordinator to do his job or he'll find someone else to do it.

Knowing Tomlin's style it will take a couple more bad losses before he makes changes.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
NEWstevo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15010

Prime example of typical glass is half empty BS.

Everything in this article is right, yet somehow these Steelers still go to every other Super Bowl, usually winning it all. No other OC can say that. Maybe they go undefeated and win the last four Super Bowls with a good o-line and better OC. But then again, without Bruce Arians maybe they don't even make the playoffs 4 years in a row. Who knows.

But so many of us forget how good the Pittsburgh Steelers have been for decades, inspite of 31 other teams trying to accomplish the same thing, some with better talent and "better" OC.

I guess its just much more fun (for the media and fans) creating drama and complaining about things, instead of just enjoying the game and our team. Hell, at my work (here in Pittsburgh) you'd a though our Steelers lost last week, they way everyone was putting them down.

Not me. Go Steelers!
NEWstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWstevo View Post

Everything in this article is right, yet somehow these Steelers still go to every other Super Bowl, usually winning it all. No other OC can say that. Maybe they go undefeated and win the last four Super Bowls with a good o-line and better OC. But then again, without Bruce Arians maybe they don't even make the playoffs 4 years in a row. Who knows.

But so many of us forget how good the Pittsburgh Steelers have been for decades, inspite of 31 other teams trying to accomplish the same thing, some with better talent and "better" OC.

I guess its just much more fun (for the media and fans) creating drama and complaining about things, instead of just enjoying the game and our team. Hell, at my work (here in Pittsburgh) you'd a though our Steelers lost last week, they way everyone was putting them down.

Not me. Go Steelers!
Maybe they'd be happier if the Steelers were more like the 18-1 Patriots? That team routed all opponents on their way to one of the best SB upsets since the Jets beat the Colts.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

I think it's just one of those things where you watch other teams rack up massive points against good opponents and then you see the Steelers just narrowly edge out a one-man team that is missing that one man.

I think we have a lot of talent on offense but for some reason we can't get it together and it's literally spirit crushing to watch a game. You see Ben throw a long bomb to start off a drive and it gets you excited. Then the O-Line lets him get sacked multiple times (on SCREEN passes). Or Mendenhall can't gain a single yard. Or Ben throws an INT. Or a receiver drops a surefire TD.

It's just disheartening. I'm glad they're 2-1 and maybe this will be the week that everything clicks. Sometimes that can happen against a good team... like in the 2009 season where we lost 5 straight to crap teams and then threw for 500 yards and beat the Packers.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Maybe they'd be happier if the Steelers were more like the 18-1 Patriots? That team routed all opponents on their way to one of the best SB upsets since the Jets beat the Colts.
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy at all if we beat every single team in the regular season and coasted through the playoffs. What an awful thing that would be.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,129 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWstevo View Post

Not me. Go Steelers!

OK, I'll call your "glass half-empty" comment and raise you a "whistling through the graveyard".

Look, to me a "W" is a "W" and I'm all for being hopeful, but even I have to admit that we suck offensively - especially when you consider the talent we have.
Roethlisbergeer is one of the best QB's in the league yet he still makes bone-headed mistakes and frankly gets too arrogant too soon.

It's OK to to get a little full of yourself if you have a three or four score lead, but he seems to get that way far too early in games and it HAS cost us in the past.
You know, Bradshaw may have been that way to an extent, but HE had Swann and Stallworth along with a solid O-line and a Defense to die for -- plus he played in an era where it was possible to dictate terms.

But today's league is far different from those days. It's quicker and far more specialized and as such there is little time to step back and admire your work during a game especially if you follow a great pass with a high-school level fumble or pick.
Whether we should or shouldn't be scoring more isn't really the point. The point is that with the talent we have at the offensive skill positions, scoring frequently ought to be standard operating procedure yet scoring at all lately seems to be becoming more "miraculous" than standard and I don't care what kind of fan you are -- that simply HAS to bother you.

Hell, I've been a fan for just shy of forty years and it doesn't just bother me -- it pisses me off! Why are you willing to settle for what you're seeing now when you know as well as I that we're capable of so much more?
Would a pro golfer settle for a 200 yd. drive if he knew he could hit it 300?
Hell no!

So why settle for the Field-goal shootouts (kickouts?) if you know you can score touchdowns?
And if the reason why we can't score touchdowns isn't for lack of talent, then it MUST BE the game plan, so CHANGE THE GAME PLAN.

I love this team just as much as any fan and I'll never root against them and I'll take any win that comes our way but even I realize that we can do far better offensively and there HAS to be a reason why we're not.
So if that's true and if the people in charge don't take steps to correct that, then they should not be in charge anymore.

In short, I'm tired of hearing about the "Vaunted Steeler Defense".
I know we have a great "D" and it's what we're known for.

But I've known that for decades and I'd really like to see a "Vaunted Offense" for a change -- maybe even just a "pretty good", or consistent one at this point.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy at all if we beat every single team in the regular season and coasted through the playoffs. What an awful thing that would be.
You forgot about the defeat in the SB. But that's fine, tell only the side of the story that makes your point. My point is that we have a team that may go up and down, but overall has great success (and has won more SBs in the last few years than the mighty Patricheats).
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
excruciating......lol
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
You forgot about the defeat in the SB.
Maybe you forgot about the Steelers defeat in the SB.

Quote:
But that's fine, tell only the side of the story that makes your point.
There seems to be a lot of that going on around here......

Quote:
My point is that we have a team that may go up and down, but overall has great success (and has won more SBs in the last few years than the mighty Patricheats).
I agree. We have had great success. Certainly in the playoffs, the past few seasons we have experienced more success than the Patriots.

We're talking about this season, not the last few seasons......

Anyway.....there's no point arguing on this thread about the Steelers past success, because we're talking about this offense. This offense sucks, at least it has sucked the past 3 games. You can't deny it. Hopefully it will improve.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote