Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #21
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Wallace: NFL's Fastest Receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down ... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game? And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)

It's funny how some "fans" spend more energy sh!tting on the team and it's decisions than actually enjoying one of the best franchises in the sport. It's good to question or have differing opinions, but you really have to wonder when you see an abundance of negativity toward a team that has enjoyed great success.
Emmanuel Sanders made a rookie mistake. Probably because he's getting playing time like a rookie. You also have to remember that Hines Ward, the guy who's "better than Andre Johnson," had a total of 6 yards through 50 minutes of game time. And this is a guy playing for the ENTIRE GAME without leaving for 1 snap. The other 11 yards came from a pass that Emmanuel Sanders threw...

Wallace and Brown on the outside (#1 and #2) with Emmanuel Sanders/Hines Ward rotating in the slot would be great. You also don't realize that Sanders is a great blocker as well. You act as if Hines is the only receiver in the league that can block.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Emmanuel Sanders made a rookie mistake. Probably because he's getting playing time like a rookie. You also have to remember that Hines Ward, the guy who's "better than Andre Johnson," had a total of 6 yards through 50 minutes of game time. And this is a guy playing for the ENTIRE GAME without leaving for 1 snap. The other 11 yards came from a pass that Emmanuel Sanders threw...

Wallace and Brown on the outside (#1 and #2) with Emmanuel Sanders/Hines Ward rotating in the slot would be great. You also don't realize that Sanders is a great blocker as well. You act as if Hines is the only receiver in the league that can block.
atleast get your facts straight before you go off with your misdirected anger.

outta 68 snaps-

miller- 66
hines-56
wallace- 47
sanders- 37
brown- 35

maybe you and manny should be so mad at miller for stealing his snaps. he was only targeted about 7 times for a team leading 5 receptions.

maybe you and manny should just worry about beating out another 2nd year receiver drafted 3 rounds later, who is being treated like a rookie and getting even fewer snaps, but seems to have no problem pulling in 4 receptions for 75 yards.

mannys problem isnt hines ward who is still the best blocking wr the nfl has ever seen (thats not just my opinion- thats the opinion of his peers and all the professionals who will be casting votes for his induction to the HOF in 5-10 years).

mannys time will come. unfortunately it will not be soon enough for a message board jockey who pretends to be the team owner.

oh well.

heres a hint- people who misrepresent everybodys stance and takes (nobody thinks hines ward is better than andrae johnson), and cant even bring the simplest of obvious facts to the table to support their own, will always be seen as invalid and somebody who is just spewing BS.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 10-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
atleast get your facts straight before you go off with your misdirected anger.

outta 68 snaps-

miller- 66
hines-56
wallace- 47
sanders- 37
brown- 35

maybe you and manny should be so mad at miller for stealing his snaps. he was only targeted about 7 times for a team leading 5 receptions.

maybe you and manny should just worry about beating out another 2nd year receiver drafted 3 rounds later, who is being treated like a rookie and getting even fewer snaps, but seems to have no problem pulling in 4 receptions for 75 yards.

mannys problem isnt hines ward who is still the best blocking wr the nfl has ever seen (thats not just my opinion- thats the opinion of his peers and all the professionals who will be casting votes for his induction to the HOF in 5-10 years).

mannys time will come. unfortunately it will not be soon enough for a message board jockey who pretends to be the team owner.

oh well.

heres a hint- people who misrepresent everybodys stance and takes (nobody thinks hines ward is better than andrae johnson), and cant even bring the simplest of obvious facts to the table to support their own, will always be seen as invalid and somebody who is just spewing BS.
I wouldn't say nobody. I've heard it from 3 people on this forum lol. 56 out of 68 snaps...I'm guessing he was off the field for the hurry up and the victory formation at the end of the game. Still 20 more snaps than Manny is a bit much. Miller is irrelevant to the discussion. He should be on the field at all times since he is a good TE on a poor blocking team.

There's no anger here. I'm actually not big on Sanders anyway. I'm more of a Brown fan as you saw all through my offseason/preseason hype. But I would like to see equal reps between him and Ward. Especially seeing as how this is Sanders' second year.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I think we should just leave it at "We've got arguably the best collection of young receivers in the league right now, along with a probable future HoFer - who's still producing - to help them develop." What's to argue about here?

Our passing game is not exactly suffering right now. Our rushing game is. So I'm not sure why would would argue that Ward should be pulled in favor of either Sanders or Brown. That's the odd part for me.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't say nobody. I've heard it from 3 people on this forum lol. 56 out of 68 snaps...I'm guessing he was off the field for the hurry up and the victory formation at the end of the game. Still 20 more snaps than Manny is a bit much. Miller is irrelevant to the discussion. He should be on the field at all times since he is a good TE on a poor blocking team.

There's no anger here. I'm actually not big on Sanders anyway. I'm more of a Brown fan as you saw all through my offseason/preseason hype. But I would like to see equal reps between him and Ward. Especially seeing as how this is Sanders' second year.
there is no doubt that brown and sanders have all the physical tools it takes for this league, but what you fail to acknowledge is the mental aspect of the game (as seen by sanders not tagging a guy down on the ground).

they are 2nd year players who have missed a complete off season, and another 4 games with their qb being suspended in their rookie season. they are behind the curve yet still playing amazing ball for such young players.

back to the mental aspect-

hines ward typically only leaves the field for a blow, injury or in the case of vs colts, when the steelers utilize '13' or '22' personnel package (3TE's).

the steelers will not change the playbook just to accommodate two second year players. for them to steal snaps from hines they must know every wr's role on every personnel grouping. theres no way they know all of hines wards assignments. hell, mike wallace is just now learning to read the defenses and run hot routes.

hines ward knows all this (for the X, Y, and Z positions) like the back of his hand.

teams have 45 seconds to switch personnel, get lined up, make possible adjustments, and/or audible if needed.

the kids simply arent ready for more to be put on their plate than they are already chewing on.

i cant say this is football 101. it is more like 400 level.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I think we should just leave it at "We've got arguably the best collection of young receivers in the league right now, along with a probable future HoFer - who's still producing - to help them develop." What's to argue about here?

Our passing game is not exactly suffering right now. Our rushing game is. So I'm not sure why would would argue that Ward should be pulled in favor of either Sanders or Brown. That's the odd part for me.
The first part is true but I feel like we can be a lot more explosive if Sanders is on the field more. We're not exactly lighting teams up in the passing game. We have 3 TDs by our receivers in 3 games.

I'm not saying take Ward out completely. We just need to use a little less of him in favor of some of our guys that can make big plays when they get their hands on the ball.

And Ward may know the playbook at all of the WR positions inside and out, but he doesn't line up on the outside anymore. He hasn't for a couple of years now. He's pretty much exclusively a slot guy.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
The first part is true but I feel like we can be a lot more explosive if Sanders is on the field more. We're not exactly lighting teams up in the passing game. We have 3 TDs by our receivers in 3 games.

I'm not saying take Ward out completely. We just need to use a little less of him in favor of some of our guys that can make big plays when they get their hands on the ball.

And Ward may know the playbook at all of the WR positions inside and out, but he doesn't line up on the outside anymore. He hasn't for a couple of years now. He's pretty much exclusively a slot guy.
We are explosive in the passing game. Unfortunately, that's all we are. A little more consistency, and some more shots in the middle of the field (which is, specifically, Ward's forté) would be nice.

And the accepted truism that Ward is exclusively a slot receiver doesn't seem to be true. Every time I see him on the field he is in one of three positions, conveniently telegraphing our play to the opposing team:
  1. in motion (running play towards the side he's running;)
  2. tight up against the line (running play;)
  3. out wide, more than half of his plays (pass play)
Look at the last game, including the very first play to Wallace. He's wide right. I think he was in the slot about five or six times all game (including the long bomb to Wallace).
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
JPPT1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5361
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
johnson looks slow this year. didn't he just get his raise? that's probably why
That happens a lot when you do get a raise. You have a bad year.