Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #821
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Week 4 Gameday Thread: Steelers @ Texans 10/2/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler4life1972 View Post
ok im sorry but im listening to steelers radio and I think the announcer is clueless...first of all yes I think the defense needs a lot of blame but he is halfway defending arians! I'm sorry but the play calling on offense is the problem with this O line. You need 3 step drop type passes with this O line cause they cant keep the blockers in check for more than 2 seconds maybe 3 max. You cant call 5-7 step type passes with that O line...im sorry it will not work and Ben will get killed back there...I think Ben has did well today withn what he has...anybody else agree??????
Oh I agree for sure.

We all know the OL sucks. That's a given. The coaches are not gameplanning for that though (it seems). There's not a lot that can be done with the offense right now. Can't sign any big name free agents, draft is (obviously) already over...yada, yada, yada. Best we can hope for is simplification of the game. And it doesn't seem they've even tried that yet.

Gonna be a long year for sure...but hopefully a lot of lessons will be learned from it.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #822
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
All things considered, I think we still have some good things to look at.

Granted, the O-line is the biggest problem, but I liked what I saw from Redman and Moore today and even the play calling was better on many run plays.

I liked what I saw from Wallace and especially from Brown.

Ben was tough as usual but he got beat up pretty bad - especially towards the end.

All in all, I saw some things that we can build on and if we can just stay healthy on the O-line so that we can develop some consistency, I think we'll be OK.
That doesn't mean that we don't need some major renovations up front, but that can't be done until the offseason, so we just have to make the best of what we have now and I think that CAN be done if we can just keep the same guys in there together long enough to jell.

P.S., if Mendy's hammy is bad enough to keep him out for a while, I don't necessarily think that would be so bad.
I like Redman better anyway and I think that the rotation of Redman / Moore seems to work better than all Mendy.

We'll see...
the bad thing is they won't set menenhall that long

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #823
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Because Ben didn't have time to throw deep....or short...
He had time enough to throw to brown.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #824
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Oh I agree for sure.

We all know the OL sucks. That's a given. The coaches are not gameplanning for that though (it seems). There's not a lot that can be done with the offense right now. Can't sign any big name free agents, draft is (obviously) already over...yada, yada, yada. Best we can hope for is simplification of the game. And it doesn't seem they've even tried that yet.

Gonna be a long year for sure...but hopefully a lot of lessons will be learned from it.
I thought the O Line did a good job in the 3rd quarter, run blocking. We drove the ball down the texans throats to tie the game. Then our idiot play calling by our idiot OC changed things. To hell with what works, lets play backyard football. Arians reminds me of a pop warner coach. Absolutely no continuity with the offense and even with our line problems, continuity and tempo would go a long way to making things alot better.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #825
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,132 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I thought the O Line did a good job in the 3rd quarter, run blocking. We drove the ball down the texans throats to tie the game. Then our idiot play calling by our idiot OC changed things. To hell with what works, lets play backyard football. Arians reminds me of a pop warner coach. Absolutely no continuity with the offense and even with our line problems, continuity and tempo would go a long way to making things alot better.

I agree.

I think the problem with Arians is that he's one of those guys who has all the levers and switches in front of him and he can't resist playing with them. He doesn't seem to be able to let something that works keep working - he always seems to want to mess with things

I'm not a big fan of the Cowher era, but at least we had an identity back then; the Offense was known for its running game and the Defense was known for its blitzes.
Today, our Defense still has their identity (despite not having its greatest season so far), but our Offense is basically still looking for something it's good at. Another thing about Cowher's teams is that despite his "mnartyball" tag, he was old-school in the sense that if something is working, you keep doing it until someone stops it.

Arians doesn't seem to have the patience for that. He also doesn't seem to be able to decide whether he wants us to be a passing Offense or a running Offense. I think that Ben has a lot to do with this as I'm sure that he's constantly in Arians' ear about passing but someone has to make a decision as to what is going to be our dominant quality and stick with that; whether it's passing or running, it just can't be both.

I really do think that we could be either, but no matter which identity is desired, there has to be a commitment to it and so far I haven't seen that. So I guess I'll just think of it as the "Schizo Offense" until someone decides what they want it to really be.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote