Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
steelbad@50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14816
Default Get ready for the lean times

We as Steeler fans have enjoyed so many years of good times that it was bound to happen that we would find ourselves having a season like this, mediocre at best. I know some of u are going to be upset by this and will say i have given up on my team to soon, or i'm not real fan of the team, . but it is what it is. Our D is slow and old, and if u have been watching the same games i have. I cant remember the last time i saw running backs dominate our defense so easily. As far as our offensive line goes they our constantly on there heels nearly every play, and Big Ben simply holds the ball to long, I blame this on Bruce Arians play calling. The plays simply take to long to develop. We need to use our RBs more in short yardage passing plays not only for running plays. We have a patch work O line because they are expected to hold there blocks for to long,thus they get injured easily, again Arian play calling sucks. I hope I am wrong about everything because I am a diehard Steeler fan, no matter how they do this season or future seasons to come.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,836 Times in 2,095 Posts
Default Re: Get ready for the lean times

God bless you.

i think i will go plant a garden now.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
steelbad@50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
God bless you.

i think i will go plant a garden now.
LOL.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

I think that if we look at this team objectively, what we have had since Ben took over is an any given Sunday team. Any given Sunday they can look like an elite team. Any given Sunday they can look pretty ordinary and lose to anyone. The offense has been so inconsistent that the defense is constantly under pressure to hold the other team to 14 points or so. And as good as the d has performed statistically it has holes. The dbs seem to be allergic to ints. And for all the talk I hear about the pass rush, I believe it has been overated. Sure the sack numbers are impressive over the years, but with teams throwing 30 plus times, hurries and knockdowns are even more important. They seem to be sorely lacking. Unless my perception is not reality.

All that being said, there is just to much talent on this team to think we are looking at any kind of long term downturn. Shoreing up the o-line is priority number one. As I have said in other discussions, this league is turning into a shootout league. I think it will be quite a while before we see a team win the Super Bowl with less than 30 points.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerjim58 View Post
I think that if we look at this team objectively, what we have had since Ben took over is an any given Sunday team. Any given Sunday they can look like an elite team. Any given Sunday they can look pretty ordinary and lose to anyone. The offense has been so inconsistent that the defense is constantly under pressure to hold the other team to 14 points or so. And as good as the d has performed statistically it has holes. The dbs seem to be allergic to ints. And for all the talk I hear about the pass rush, I believe it has been overated. Sure the sack numbers are impressive over the years, but with teams throwing 30 plus times, hurries and knockdowns are even more important. They seem to be sorely lacking. Unless my perception is not reality.

All that being said, there is just to much talent on this team to think we are looking at any kind of long term downturn. Shoreing up the o-line is priority number one. As I have said in other discussions, this league is turning into a shootout league. I think it will be quite a while before we see a team win the Super Bowl with less than 30 points.
Yeah well who cares if teams are moving to pass-happy offenses ? Who cares if 31 teams pass the ball 30+ times a game.I believe that football is a game of mistakes and ball control and if you run the ball effectively I might be wrong but I believe it is the best way to win games because A) You keep the other teams offense off the field and get your D some rest and B) You have less chances of turning the ball over.

I dont care how much we pay Roethlisberger.He will help us get where we want to go but to help us win as many super bowls as we want he need to stay healthy and he will play longer if we get back to a strong running game.

Remember when we were one of the few who played 3-4 before half of the league started doing that too ? Then now that all of the teams are pass-happy teams why not going back to the run heavy offense ?

I tell you once again,go back to an effective run heavy offense and you will be surprise to see how a lot of things will change
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
Yeah well who cares if teams are moving to pass-happy offenses ? Who cares if 31 teams pass the ball 30+ times a game.I believe that football is a game of mistakes and ball control and if you run the ball effectively I might be wrong but I believe it is the best way to win games because A) You keep the other teams offense off the field and get your D some rest and B) You have less chances of turning the ball over.

I dont care how much we pay Roethlisberger.He will help us get where we want to go but to help us win as many super bowls as we want he need to stay healthy and he will play longer if we get back to a strong running game.

Remember when we were one of the few who played 3-4 before half of the league started doing that too ? Then now that all of the teams are pass-happy teams why not going back to the run heavy offense ?

I tell you once again,go back to an effective run heavy offense and you will be surprise to see how a lot of things will change
Couldn't agree more. But as long as we have an OC who doesn't beleive in the use of a fullback, we are going to pass, pass, pass then may be run once in a while. Running the ball is a mindset and this team or coaching staff doesn't have that mindset yet. The only times we have struggles the past number of years is when we have decided to pass the ball all over the field. Even Whiz realized after the '03 season and we went back to ground and pound and went 15-1 and then the next season won a super bowl. Our philosophy on O has to change and that won't change as long as our current OC is here.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post

I agree. Look what a run first offense did to the Steelers D yesterday. God I hope they fire Arians and go back to Steelers football.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Brice Anthony
Water Boy

Member Number: 18366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
I agree. Look what a run first offense did to the Steelers D yesterday. God I hope they fire Arians and go back to Steelers football.
EXACTLY!!
Brice Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,115 Times in 3,037 Posts

It seems to me that the Steelers have more success when they are a run first team, and every few years they try to change into what most other teams in the league are, pass happy. Those usually are the less successful seasons.

I still have hope that we are going to see some Steelers football some time this season.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Arians isn't a product of Steelers football...i remember when Cowher hired Haslett as D coordinator, he made Haslett learn the Steelers D not implement his own...Tomlin should have forced Arians to do the same
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote