Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #31
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Heath Miller- A waste of $7,000,000/year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
He blocks and releases. That's what TEs do. He could be lining up wide, of course, but then he's not a tight end.
Show me how a TE can block a DE or a LB, and then go catch a pass 15 or 20yds deep. They block or they run but they don't do both in the same play, no way.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,554 Times in 3,980 Posts

if you look at the teams that are 4-0/3-1 and with a top 7 offense and top 7 in scoring there is one thing in common that stands out.

their TE's are the #2 recieving options and in the top 20 of receivers in receptions.

bruce arians is running an antiquated patriot offense that was scrapped and abandoned 7 years ago. the run and shoot is dead, as is the "greatest show on turf".

in a weak attempt to be clever, trick and outscheme the league, he has outsmarted himself once again, and turned heath mill into an average, dime a dozen player. one of them is pretty much useless and one of them needs to go before next season. i sure hope it isnt miller.

know how you preserve ben? line up in shotgun, 11 personnel, and split heath out. use a rb as a sidecar for either protection, draws, or an outlet. quit keeping people in for protection and let him read the blitz and get rid of the ball quickly.

or we can keep running those slow developing handoffs and play action where ben actually HAS HIS BACK to the on coming rush, for more than a second.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Show me how a TE can block a DE or a LB, and then go catch a pass 15 or 20yds deep. They block or they run but they don't do both in the same play, no way.
But they do it all the time. They don't have to stay put like the other linemen, just force the LBs to take the long route, bump them into an arc rather than a straight line to the QB, then go. I mean, it doesn't happen every single play, especially not in today's NFL where you see tight ends as H-backs and U-backs and lined up wide, etc., etc. but I submit to you that they're not really TEs in those cases, and their agents should be arguing the same thing, getting them WR money instead of the lower-scale TE pay.