Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default More than a simple light

More than a simple light
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 10 hours ago

As the sun faded and darkness fell, Aaron Smith could see a light shining. It was a simple light, coming from inside a white balloon his son Elijah proudly gripped.

“Seeing what he has gone through, the strength he has shown and the amazing boy he is,” stated Smith. “Seeing that balloon…”

As he paused, collecting his emotions for a moment, it was easy to understand why. It wasn’t just a light Smith saw in the darkness. It was strength. It was survival. It was life.

“It’s more than that,” said Smith. “It signifies everything we have gone through and fought through as a family and mainly him.

“He is much tougher than I could ever image. He has taught me more about life than I taught him in his seven years of life.”

It’s been a challenging time for Aaron and Jaimie Smith and their family since seven-year old Elijah was diagnosed with leukemia almost three years ago. There have been so many ups and downs, hopes and fears, and moments of doubt overcome thanks to their faith and strength.

With Elijah still going through treatment, but beating the disease, there are now moments of celebration and that is what the Smith family, along with friends and Steelers teammates, did at the Light the Night walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as a part of Team Elijah.

“It’s definitely a celebration,” said Smith. “It’s his special night. He gets so excited for it. It’s all about him and what he has gone through and the strength he has shown and all of the other families.”

About 20 of Smith’s teammates, along with defensive line Coach John Mitchell, put on their Team Elijah t-shirts and walked alongside Elijah on the streets by Heinz Field, showing their support and love for him.

“It’s a great night,” said defensive end Brett Keisel. “We all love Aaron and the Smith family. I am proud of the way they handled this whole situation with Elijah. We are one big family. We support and help each other out as much as we can. To do this for Elijah and all of those who suffer from leukemia is something we enjoy and has become a tradition here.

“Elijah has done amazing. He is getting close to kicking this thing in the butt. We love him and support him and doing this is our way of showing that.”

Rookie linebacker Chris Carter just learned of the battle the Smith family has gone through, but he understands how tough it is having lost his young cousin to the disease.

“This hit home for me,” said Carter. “It strikes a chord with me and my family. I will do anything I can to help out the cause because it takes a lot of strength to go through something like that.”

More here: http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-6701b71ee1b0

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,644 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: More than a simple light

My god - after reading this, how could anyone want to be the person to tell Aaron Smith to hang it up or that someone is getting the nod over him . . .Regardless of recent performances - he seems to be one hell of a guy and one hell of a teammate. No - I'm not giving him a pass - just honoring a guy who will forever be a Steeler in every sense of the word. Sniff sniff.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485
Default Re: More than a simple light

Wow, it sure is dusty in here!