Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Ben: "I fake it and I'm a wimp."

Pretty funny line, and just a great approach to an important game this week from Ben.

Injuries rarely slow Steelers' Roethlisberger

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ben Roethlisberger was hobbling around the Steelers' practice facility Wednesday with a walking boot on his sprained left foot.
Even though he didn't practice and had a noticeable limp when he removed the protective device, Roethlisberger will make his 20th consecutive start Sunday when the Steelers host Tennessee.
Roethlisberger will continue to wear the boot and will likely not practice until later in the week, if at all. He will wear a device to protect his foot similar to the one he used last year against Baltimore a larger shoe fitted with a metal plate that will prevent the foot from bending, but not help with the discomfort.
"I have dealt with pain before, I have played through broken bones and if it is a pain issue, I can play through it. I'll be fine," Roethlisberger said.
Throughout his career, Roethlisberger has been banged up several times to the point where it was questionable whether he would play in the next game. Nearly every time, Roethlisberger not only has played but come through with winning performances, thus raising questions on the true severity of his injuries.
"I fake it and I'm a wimp," said Roethlisberger when asked why he thrives in situations when he is hurt. "I don't know, I guess it makes you focus that much harder. I guess that's like asking a question of why you do so well in the fourth quarter. ... I don't know if there is an answer."
At least a dozen times over his career, Roethlisberger has been injured enough to be listed as questionable the following week. Only four times he didn't play the next game.
"He plays through a lot more injuries than most guys, especially in big-time situations," tackle Max Starks said. "You could think of a couple different quarterbacks who wouldn't play through that."
Last season, Roethlisberger was questionable for an important late-season game against Baltimore with a foot injury. Roethlisberger not only played, he sustained a broken nose early and still threw for 253 yards and the game-winning touchdown.
"He is a warrior and finds a way to get back on game days," receiver Hines Ward said. "He is going to come out fighting like he always has in the past."
Roethlisberger also threw for 386 yards and three scores in 2005 against Cincinnati - a week after breaking his thumb.
"I don't want to let anybody down, don't want to let the guys down, so it makes we want to play that much harder," Roethlisberger said.
Roethlisberger has taken a pounding this year. Through four games, he has been hit 21 times and sacked 14, but he has missed only two snaps and that came when his knee was rolled upon during a Week 2 win over Seattle.
Roethlisberger could prevent some of the pounding by not subjecting himself to unnecessary hits, but he doesn't plan on changing the style that made him a two-time Super Bowl champ by the age of 26.
"When I go out at the start of every year, I play every game like it is my last," Roethlisberger said. "I don't sit there and say, 'OK, I am going to play for year 15 or year 16.' If this is my last year, this is my last year. That's how I play the game. I play the game like every one is my last."
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Ben: "I fake it and I'm a wimp."

Don't see how anyone can think for an instance that he makes it up or over dramatizes crap. Just have to watch the film to know he takes a serious beating week in and week out.

Some of it is his doing but a lot of it is that Swiss Cheese we call and O-Line...
Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I think it's both. I think he gets the shit beat out of him every week and he publicizes how beat up he's playing. He ripped a page out of Bradshaw's book, which is a good move, and should be the detail that gets him into Canton some day.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

He keeps playing with this OL soon he wont have to worry about playing hurt, he'll be done for good.......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,109 Times in 492 Posts

I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and a blown Achilles in my right foot and there are time when I actually have to stop and catch my balance or grab onto something for a moment until things stretch out a bit before I can continue.

With my knee, kneeling down has become a conscious decision rather than an instinctive move because if I kneel down too quickly, the pain is significant.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have injuries like this AND and play quarterback in the NFL.
At least as a civilian, I can pause for a moment and decide how I'm going to move or maybe turn a certain way so that my next step won't hurt anything, but a QB has no such options.
Ben has to move in whatever direction and with as much force and strain as is necessary to either complete a play or keep from getting creamed and he hasn't the option of saying "Wait a minute, I have to adjust my foot first" or "Gee, I really would rather not turn to my right so quickly".

All these guys who spend their Sundays farting into their couches have a lot to say about what he should or should not be doing or whether his pain is "real" or not and to them I would say: "Let's see YOU go out and do what Ben does with the injuries he's had and tell me how simple it is".

I don't know if Ben's a warrior or just plain nuts, but I DO know that I sure as hell won't criticize him about how hurt he is or that he's some kind of Drama Queen.
Hell, WALKING hurt is tough enough and I honestly don't know how someone could PLAY hurt week after week and do it fifty times every game.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote