Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #81
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I'm pretty sure he means in the league right now...not all time lol.
He's suggesting that Tomlin is the new Seifert, or Barry Switzer, etc., guys who did nothing more than inherit great teams. Hence the subsequent comment by Sixburgher asking if we can extrapolate that Cowher was therefore Walsh.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #82
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
He's suggesting that Tomlin is the new Seifert, or Barry Switzer, etc., guys who did nothing more than inherit great teams. Hence the subsequent comment by Sixburgher asking if we can extrapolate that Cowher was therefore Walsh.
Ahh ok...missed that lol.

Yeah, don't agree with that much either. Or at least I don't think you can make an objective call on that just yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #83
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ahhh...

maybe your point just wasnt clear. did he bring a defensive philosopy or make "an impression on Dallas' offense"?

or was it his defensive philosphy that left an offensive imprint?

anyways, dallas sucks, wade was fired, and they didnt win jack shit with him as HC, so maybe he didnt bring much of anything to the table and it was just a bad example.
You're a funny guy... I mistakenly called Phillips an offensive coach, but my point remains in relation to Tomlin.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #84
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Are you drunk, Top 3 in the league? You ever hear of George Seifort?
are you drunk? other then bellycheat who else has taken a team to 2 superbowls the past decade? so name me three better coaches in the nfl right now? I would say in order it's belichick, tomlin and sean payton
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #85
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Oh yea - I'd have a hard time finding two coaches in the league right now that win more and more importantly - win more with the type of obstacles he has faced in his first 5 years.

Even if he did in fact "inherit" a team - it was still up to him to manage a locker room full of guys that aren't exactly "Yes sirs" or can manage to keep it under the radar during the season and off season.

What happens behind the scenes between Tomlin and ownership, Tomlin and coaches, and Tomlin and players is probably a lot more telling than the Tomlin with fans.

4 full seasons. 3 playoff appearances (and still 9-7 in the non-playoff season). 2 SB appearances. 1 SB win. Knowing when to not try and fix one hell of a defense while coaching with a mediocre at best offense. 1 Drama-inducing QB, one crappy O-line, some polarizing players on defense, lack of run game - and all he does is put up Ws. I'm not quite sure what we are lacking other than what we think we should see from an outsider's perspective.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #86
fivedawg
Water Boy

Member Number: 18939

is it tomlins fault that on every pass play ben is running for his life. farrior is old, william gay is a 4th cb at best, injuries are our problem not tomlin
fivedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #87
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,666 Times in 4,664 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post

Now, where most of you are right with Tomlin is his decision to let Bruce run the offfense. He needs to put his foot down a little more. Not only for the sake of the team playing well, but for the health of his QB. Big Ben may be an issue with that as well. Ben is in his 8th year, and he may need to start thinking about whether he is going to be able to play 5 more years. He can not continue to allow himself to get murdered the way he has. And I put it on the head coach to convince and protect his 100 mil QB and 2-time SB winner, who happens to be in his prime.
I completely agree. As the head coach, he is ultimately responsible. If we can't count on our line to protect Ben, then ultimately it is Tomlin's fault. I blame Arians and the O-line on a regular basis, but if these same problems keep happening over and over, it's time for he head coach to take the blame.

I keep waiting for Tomlin to fix the problems, but so far nothing seems to be working.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote