Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Starks happy to be back

Return to Steelers buoys the spirit of Starks
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sweat dribbled down his face as he not only talked with reporters, but answered questions with a smile.

It seemed like nothing had changed with Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks, and to think a day earlier he had been in Detroit auditioning for the Lions.

Starks signed with Steelers on Wednesday morning, rejoining the team that released him in late July. By the afternoon, the guy who had been unemployed 24 hours earlier was working with the Steelers' first-team offense.

"I definitely feel like I have an opportunity to at least dress Sunday if I continue on this path and keep getting after it like I have been," Starks said after his first practice in 11 months.

Starks said he practiced exclusively at left tackle and split first-team repetitions with Jonathan Scott, who returned to practice after missing last Sunday's game because of a sprained ankle.

It is unlikely that Starks is in good enough football shape to immediately push Scott at left tackle if that's what the Steelers wanted when they signed him to a one-year deal for the $810,000 veteran's minimum.

What coach Mike Tomlin did tell Starks during a meeting Tuesday night Starks met with the Steelers at their headquarters after flying from Detroit to Pittsburgh is that he wants the eighth-year veteran to provide leadership along the offensive line.

"With anything else, the offense has to be on the same page," said Starks, who had started 38 consecutive games at left tackle before sustaining a season-ending neck injury last November. "I always preach it. Run block, pass protect, sustained drives, keep(ing) the defense fresh those all stem from the offensive line, so it's a big thing to have chemistry within that group."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been pushing for the Steelers to bring back Starks, one of his closest friends on the team. And it's not just out of guilt, with Roethlisberger conceding that his late July wedding didn't do Starks or Trai Essex any favors.

The wedding gave Steelers coaches an opportunity to see Starks and Essex, each of whom had gained a significant amount of weight during the NFL lockout.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Starks happy to be back

I'm glad to have you back to Starks- hopefully you've been working hard and should be able to push Scott immediately out of the line up - just like the opposing DE did
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

So happy to have him back, probably now our next best o lineman after Pouncey. As mentioned, he probably isn't going to be ready to play a full game, but hopefully he comes in on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter. Nice to see the team at least try to address the o line problem. When he is ready to start, we better not sit Gilbert and put Scott at RT, that would be horrible, but I don't put it past Tomlin.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Glad Tomlin is finally addressing some serious issues. It's sad it had to come to injuring Ben for him to make a move.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Glad Tomlin is finally addressing some serious issues. It's sad it had to come to injuring Ben for him to make a move.
he probably thought trai essex would have been adequate, he started at LT in the past and was serviceable. however it just took 1 start to realize he wasn't the answer. i think this change would have been made regardless of ben's foot sprain or not.

i hope when jon rollerskates is healthy again this doesn't mean gilbert is back on the bench though. he's our future rt / lt and i believe the RT position should be his this year unless he proves to be worse than scott, which is kinda hard to pull off.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Starks gets the start at LT after no game time and minimal practices since being injured in teh Bengals game last year

Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who has three practices under his belt after being signed off the street Tuesday, expects to be in the starting lineup Sunday against the Tennessee Titans

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180421-100.stm

The definitiive example of how rotten this OL has become
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts

well considering who he has to beat, trai essux (who also didn't practice all offseason) and jonathan rollerscates, i don't find that surprising
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,911 Times in 4,515 Posts

SteelersDepot had a great line-

J. Scott is still recovering from the shoulder injury and Trai Essex is still recovering from being Trai Essex.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
SteelersDepot had a great line-

J. Scott is still recovering from the shoulder injury and Trai Essex is still recovering from being Trai Essex.
No, they're both recovering from being themselves
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote