Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #21
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448
Default Re: Offensive signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus36idf View Post
No it wasn't
Thanks ricardismo. Except steelaxe is the one I should be thanking he lead me here. I have the pittburgh steelers forum on my favs so it always brings me to that forum. I never have been to another forum.

To resectfully answer your question no. If we only assume it's offensive. I would never go up to a black person being white and call him the N word because I would assume it would be offensive. We can all agree it is offensive. By the mere title of your post offensive sigs you are making an obvious statement. We can all agree people are way too sensitive these days I'm with ya on that. I assure you I am not one of these. I am assuming by your name your of spanish mexican or latino decent. If I had a sig saying for instance "SPICKS DON'T BELONG IN THE U.S." OR "WETBACKS" It's safe to assume this would offend someone. Now if I said "ILLIGAL IMMIGRATION IN THE U.S. NEEDS TO STOP". one is obviously offensive, one is questionable ( I wouldn't use either because my values don't allow me this room). Now I'm not stating in any way I am better than you trust me I have my own issues. I was simply saying when I bring my son whom happens to love God, to this forum and if he also happened to have an amputated limb this would be disturbing to him. Not an assumption per se. I think it's a safe bet. So he came to a website to talk about his football team, and again I was just wondering if people consider what some may feel when they see obviously offensive sigs. Com' on your getting offended that I would suggest someone would get offended. The same goes with Masterofpuppets all I did was respond to what was clearly stated in the PITtSBURGH STEELERS FORUM with this statement "Yes but what Steven Weinber and you fail to understand is that all people good or evil do evil things, because of this we need God , and with this realization I have seen truly evil people become good. " then I get killed and I am the unforgiving offended one. Forgive me for having compassion towards others. And as I said I would do the same to a religious person with an obvious offensive sig. Key word obvious, and I know I'm not the judge, but were not so mentally bamkrupt we don't know the difference are we?
[YOUTUBE]dF1NUposXVQ[/YOUTUBE]

To the point you made to me in the other thread, it could be argued that you can be forgiving and still be offended, but in essence being offended is someone hurting your ego. If you take your ego out of the equation yes you could go through life without ever being offended by anything. It's not an easy thing to accomplish, and I am by no means an expert...but I have read a few books and watched a few interviews with people who are so I'm familiar with the concept.

As for your kid, the internet is out there and he will find worse things than a diatribe on why god hates amputees. If anything use ricardismo as a teaching instrument about tolerance and the expression of others' beliefs. I think the sheltering of young minds can lead to a breakdown and possible rejection of a belief system all together later on.

You seem like a nice enough guy, I hope you get I wasn't trying to blast you before.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #22
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Oh, and I guess you completely missed the rules about acting as a mod and copying and pasting the rules on the open board.
I agree I broke the rules there. See I can admit when I'm wrong and move on and change my habit as to not do it again. BECAUSE IT MAY BOTHER OTHER PEOPLE.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #23
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Are you suggesting that either my sig or MoP's are covered under the portions of the CoC you have underlined there? Let's get MoP's out of the way right now. There is absolutely no way that any reasonable person could think that his sig is racist, hate speech, or rude or crass. It's a pithy quote on a topic of interest to him. It would be unacceptable only if the rules said that religion is completely off-limits on SF. The rules do not say that.

Which leaves my signature, which we can discuss in further detail following your response.
The word hate is in the sig You are suggesting that a group of people are hated by someone or something for no other reason then the fact that they happen to be different.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Ok, I'm going to make this short and simple (as possible for me).

No, we tend not to police signatures...we don't police a whole lot around here outside of trolls and spammers...I feel that most times, people can police themselves, and every now and then maybe just need a nudge from the mods. Again, for the most part.

As to what sigs are or are not allowed, I'd only delete the vulgar (full of obcenities or nudity) and obvious racist/hateful ones (if you need to ask what these are, you probably shouldn't be posting them). As far as the religious ones go, if I told Ric and MOP to remove their sigs because they might offend Christians, then I'd have to go to every Christian user that has a religious themed sig or avatar (geared towards Christianity, in a positive light...yes there are some) and tell them to remove theirs too because they might offend the atheists, agnostics, Jew, etc. I'm not going to do that by the way. Even though this is mostly a football forum, users are encouraged to bring their personalities to the board, and part of users doing that is through avatars and sigs. (within reason of course).

Now, for everyone quoting the CoC and going on about being sticklers for rules....just stop. We're not going to be judging people and posts very strictly against the CoC (since we all became mods, we never have)...only obvious cases. If you have a real problem with a user or something they are posting, then take it to a mod, not the public board. I'm not the best by any means at keeping up with a lot of threads (I didn't even know this discussion was going on in the Mendy thread), but I check my PM's daily and try to browse through as much as time will allow sometimes...if there's an issue, just say so directly, and one of us will try to help out.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 10-14-2011 at 08:22 AM.
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I hardly think you hurt my feelings, genius. I'm one of the more thicker skinned people on this board. Trust me. You can say whatever the hell you want to IN THE PROPER FORUM on an internet message board as long as it follows the COC rules. I could care less. Your posts in the Mendy thread DO NOT follow these rules. Thusly, you were singled out and told to cut the shit for it. Unlike you, I do have good reading comprehension skills and understand these rules.
You chose to ignore, or were too "smart", to understand these rules and people reminded you of them. You still continued your rant in the wrong thread after that. I would think that someone who has been a member here for 5 years and is a self-proclaimed "intelligent person" would have the capability to find these forums on their own without someone holding their hand and leading them to it. It's all in plain English that your superior reading comprehension skills should be able to master easily, but I guess you weren't smart enough to figure that out on your own. I hope that doesn't make you feel dumb..... GOTCHA!

My irritation didn't compel me to cry and whine to have your words removed, unlike you. That's the big difference. I can be irritated about something and move on with my life without being a big baby about it. You hurting my feelings is the biggest funny of them all. I don't care about your feelings or if you care about mine. I'm not here to make you feel good about yourself. I'm here to have discussions with people on varying topics in the proper forums. All you were doing was repeatedly interrupting that conversation with your two-bit ridiculous whining about something that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the conversation.

Isn't about time for you to go back to your 0.08 posts per day now? I'm sure you'll be missed.
With all do respect. I never went on a rant, I was never angry, or irritated. You can see by my post I was loving, and respectful. I even had hugs, and opolagies, and always stayed on point. So it would seem my skin would be thicker than yours. Not that I am superior, just fact. I'm on here every day, as if that's even a logical point to argue. I also apologize for using the wrong forum, and won't do it again. If you read my post I kindly asked Ricardismo to direct me to the right post, and before he did he continued the discussion. So I suspect I could see that part of your argument directed at him also. If you also read our discussion back and forth you would see that I said the link to the PITTSBURGH STEELERS FORUM is in my favorites. It brings me straight there because that's all I am interested in reading about. Never been to another forum until now. That's why the topic came up, because I want to read about the STEELERS in that forum, and simply suggested that people should be able to do that without having to read sigs that aren't apart of that topic. And quite frankly could stress could be offensive to people. Then I get verbally bashed by people, never retaliate with anything but respect, and I have the thin skin????? Go figure.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #26
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
The word hate is in the sig You are suggesting that a group of people are hated by someone or something for no other reason then the fact that they happen to be different.
I have to say, you are really stretching on this one lol.

Hate speech against amputee's? Is that what you're trying to suggest?

I'm not telling you to read the link in his sig, but I have, and I can tell you it is more of a religious conundrum than hate speech. It just uses a catchy title to draw people in.

It probably doesn't help that I despise the term "hate speech", and if I could, I'd have that stricken from the CoC. I despise it because of who it is supposed to refer too (people of certain color, gender or sexual orientation), and not everyone.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #27
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesward View Post
[YOUTUBE]dF1NUposXVQ[/YOUTUBE]

To the point you made to me in the other thread, it could be argued that you can be forgiving and still be offended, but in essence being offended is someone hurting your ego. If you take your ego out of the equation yes you could go through life without ever being offended by anything. It's not an easy thing to accomplish, and I am by no means an expert...but I have read a few books and watched a few interviews with people who are so I'm familiar with the concept.

As for your kid, the internet is out there and he will find worse things than a diatribe on why god hates amputees. If anything use ricardismo as a teaching instrument about tolerance and the expression of others' beliefs. I think the sheltering of young minds can lead to a breakdown and possible rejection of a belief system all together later on.

You seem like a nice enough guy, I hope you get I wasn't trying to blast you before.
I appreciate a calm well thought out response. Hard to find somedays. It's impossible to be forgiving unless there is something to be forgiven for. Yes my original post said all people do bad things. Me included. So because I am a person of faith I can't have an ego. No the reason my faith helps me because it keeps the things I desire to do in check. "If I claim I am without sin I am a liar and the truth is not in me." Apostle Paul. It helps me to confront my sin, for the good of me and others. Some might argue sheltering kids could have adverse affects. We can agree to disagree on that. Finally yes this is a diatribe of objectionable stuff, and Ricardsmo has the link right there. Is it wrong for me to suggest it is offensive. Does it make me egotistical, and unforgiving?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I have to say, you are really stretching on this one lol.

Hate speech against amputee's? Is that what you're trying to suggest?

I'm not telling you to read the link in his sig, but I have, and I can tell you it is more of a religious conundrum than hate speech. It just uses a catchy title to draw people in.

It probably doesn't help that I despise the term "hate speech", and if I could, I'd have that stricken from the CoC. I despise it because of who it is supposed to refer too (people of certain color, gender or sexual orientation), and not everyone.
Stretching is one way to put it. I'll have you know I googled "crazy stretching" for an appropriate visual metaphor, but I decided not to post any of them because they would almost certainly offend.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #29
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
I appreciate a calm well thought out response. Hard to find somedays. It's impossible to be forgiving unless there is something to be forgiven for. Yes my original post said all people do bad things. Me included. So because I am a person of faith I can't have an ego. No the reason my faith helps me because it keeps the things I desire to do in check. "If I claim I am without sin I am a liar and the truth is not in me." Apostle Paul. It helps me to confront my sin, for the good of me and others. Some might argue sheltering kids could have adverse affects. We can agree to disagree on that. Finally yes this is a diatribe of objectionable stuff, and Ricardsmo has the link right there. Is it wrong for me to suggest it is offensive. Does it make me egotistical, and unforgiving?
Wrong? No, appropriate? Probably not as well. Like SCmom said that's why there are mods which you can contact, or you could contact the offenders directly and give your concerns.

The way I use ego you could swap with sin, they are the same concept. They both represent the same things, desire, vanity, etc... I'm sure you use your religion as a way to manage your ego, your desire to sin, etc. so that you can stay on the right path. No problem with that. It's the desire to change others or rules or things around you to conform others that leaves me sour. It's why I shy from organized religion all together. I know there is strength in numbers and we are social creatures by nature, so church and associating with others through religion is only natural. If we took down the dividing lines in beliefs and came to the same conclusion that we are all part of the same whole I think there wouldn't be the disconnect that we have as a society.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,617 Posts

this subject is very deep.

but then again, so was the orifice someones appendage was shoved into when i looked up ricardo's "crazy stretching" photos.