Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
TAmes
Water Boy

Member Number: 17417
Default Re: Suisham

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Agreed... I'd put it on the offense for not being able to punch it in rather than Suisham for keeping today's game close. He basically kicked what amounted to two PATs today (distance wise). That's where the offense needs to get 7, imho.
No argument here that the red zone offense needs to put TDs on the board, but when it doesn't, Suisham needs to do his job and put up 3 points.

He's 6/10 this year from beyond 40 yards, close to a 50/50 proposition. If the Steelers are facing 4th and short from around the 23 yard line, the odds almost favor going for it on 4th down instead of letting Suisham shank his kick.

It's incredibly demoralizing to the team when it drives almost the length of the field and the kicker doesn't put points on the board with attempts from a reasonable distance, and every time Suisham misses a 40 yd field goal, it gives the opponent decent field position.

I've said it before -- Reed might be a head case now, and he melted down last year, but he was money from between 40 and 50 yds, especially with the game on the line. And given parity among teams these days, kickers need to put those FGs on the board.

Suisham might be the best alternative at this point, but I'd certainly start thinking about auditioning other kickers.
TAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

The reason the Steelers didn't run is ball on the last drive is because he is not trustworthy
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

I do not know why the Steelers didnt go after Akers this off season. He kicked in the PA weather for year and was pretty damn good.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
You got to remember it was being played at Heinz Field, the toughest stadium to kick FGs in.
+ 1. The other teams kickers don't fare much, if any better, either.
That said, I think Suisham is money inside a 40 yarder. Outside of a 40 yarder, i don't have confidence in him and it could cost us in an important or playoff game.

But he's definitely better than "i can't even get my kickoffs to the other 25 yard-line Reed".
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I do not know why the Steelers didnt go after Akers this off season. He kicked in the PA weather for year and was pretty damn good.

$$$$
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Fine

let's get that TD so we don't have to worry about it! Love that we got a huge win but doubley love the fact we can get even better. I think we left at least 2 TDs out there.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
let's get that TD so we don't have to worry about it! Love that we got a huge win but doubley love the fact we can get even better. I think we left at least 2 TDs out there.
thats TRUE! If this team could score in the red zone (especially in the 4th quarter!!!!!!), we wouldn't have to worry so much.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Fine

not saying there might not be a better kicker out there - but I like Suisham - he is clearly better at this point than Reed is lol.

Plus - he didn't choke any worse than the Pats kicker (not counting the lovely Charlie brown onsides)

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Anything outside of 30 yards, makes me nervous with this guy. I do hope the Steelers address this in the off-season. Because I certainly don't see them addressing it anytime soon.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Really happy with today's outcome. Only real negatives. Ben's one INT that set up the Pats to get back into the game and Suisham's missed 42 yd field goal.

3 of 4 FG's is fine, but this guy makes me nervous. I don't have the confidence that he is going to make the big kick. A 42 yarder into the closed end with fairly good weather needs to be made. Especially when that kick can close out a big win.

Oh, and also. How is it that every other kicker in the league now kicks the ball 8 yards deep in the endzone and this guy still barely gets it to the goal line and duffs one out of bounds at the 10 after our first TD to set the Pats up at the 40.

Will this guy cost us a win this year? Thoughts?
Well, another way to look at it is, what is it that keeps us from scoring and having to settle for field goals in the first place?

Let's face it, we played well enough yesterday to have won 37-17 but we stalled on several occasions. So as sweet as this win was, there's still some wrinkles that need to be ironed out.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote