Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648
Default Re: Thoughts from last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I don't understand why Lewis and Gay are CBs on a team that really wants to be a contender or an elite team. The Ravens converted on 14 of 21 3rd down attempts and the last drive the Ravens didn't even have to Burn their final T.O as they easily marched 92 yards to score the winning TD. The secondary has been a problem for the past few years, why isn't this addressed?
See: Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Of course, we could have addressed it the way the Eagles did, but that really isn't working so hot for them either, is it?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
That's kinda why Ben was throwing with 2-3 minutes left, as opposed to running it 3 times up the gut and punting like Cowher would've done. The players need to execute. In other words, Johnson needs to hold onto the damn ball when it hits him in the hands and Moore needs to get turned around when the ball is headed his way. Ben was given every opportunity to win the game and came up one first down short.
Yeah you guys are right, I was wrong about that assessment. With that said, ben did put the ball where it needed to be and stepped up. receivers also have to do their part. I hope we don't get away from that philosophy and play turtle ball in the future though. Live and die by the sword, and I think Ben is our man.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
That's kinda why Ben was throwing with 2-3 minutes left, as opposed to running it 3 times up the gut and punting like Cowher would've done. The players need to execute. In other words, Johnson needs to hold onto the damn ball when it hits him in the hands and Moore needs to get turned around when the ball is headed his way. Ben was given every opportunity to win the game and came up one first down short.
Maybe that's why Arians won't unleash the no-huddle more often. (Ben throwing a pick, Johnson dropping a key first down and Moore not turning around for the hot-read.) Ben is certainly playing at a higher speed, it's guys like Johnson that keep the offense from not making strides. That play needed to be made and he puked.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Yeah, we played a form of prevent offense which was stupid. Also, I don't understand why we designed a play to go to Johnson, yes he was open but he's not a "hands" guy. Ben put it on the money and Johnson put it on the grass. As far as the things mentioned about staying positive: I agree the o line was really good, Harrison is back but only him and Foote were playing defense last night, we will be better with Woodley. I am irritated with Gay just like everyone else, but this is his first bad game, and that rookie has been playing well all season, he even't burnt Ike. I'm more angry that after seeing our corner's get beat EVERY 3rd down, LeBeau kept calling the same garbage. I agree though that Lewis is probably a better #2 corner. The fact that we had another real Steelers-Ravens game, unlike the week 1 BS, and that we almost won makes me somewhat optimistic. The refs really helped them out and I know nobody wants to sound like they are complaining about it, but let's be realistic for a second, the refs practically spotted them 7 points on the early pass interference call in the endzone. Take away that 7 from the score and we win, I realize it doesn't work like that, but that was a major "screwing". All that said, the problem is that it is their division now, we will not win every game left. If you speculate and say that we win all but one, that means they have to lose 3, that's not going to happen. Even if we win all of them except one, they will not lose 3. There most likely will be a wild card spot for us if we play correctly, and I know we've won from there before, but it's pretty hard to be optimistic about squeaking into a wild card and winning a playoff game in Baltimore right now.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
See: Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Of course, we could have addressed it the way the Eagles did, but that really isn't working so hot for them either, is it?
The Eagles have NO pass rush so I don't buy that argument, Allen and Brown Who? The Steelers need to remedy the problem now or even last year not in 3 yrs when these 2 guys might be ready.... maybe
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
tanda10506
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
As much as I hate to say it, this team is better without Hines Ward. Hines Ward has been my favorite player for many years, and still is my favorite on the team. It pains me to say his career is done. Antonio Brown proved that his recent success wasn't a fluke and has played with the poise of a veteran, he is ready for prime time. Cotchery is a solid possession WR and looks like hines ward of 5 years ago (have to agree with collinsworth on that). Hines will be forever remembered as a steeler legend, but unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end.
I agree with this to a point, but he's not "done". The overall passing game is better with Brown playing #2 then Ward, that is true. At this point, I don't think that's even a question. The thing with Ward is he's there when it counts. Against teams like the ravens, he always gets that 20 yard catch in the middle of the field on third down to keep the drive alive. He's still better in the redzone then everybody except maybe Miller. He's not done, he's just not a starting receiver anymore. Bring him in on 3rd down when we are 3+ wide and in the redzone. There's no doubt in my mind that Ben would have been looking for Ward rather then Moore or Johnson, and Ward would have made the play because they have done it time and time again.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
The Eagles have NO pass rush so I don't buy that argument, Allen and Brown Who? The Steelers need to remedy the problem now or even last year not in 3 yrs when these 2 guys might be ready.... maybe
Isn't that why the Eagles invested quite heavily in "shutdown" corners, including one of the two best (according to most personnel experts) in the league? Or maybe we could essentially mortgage a couple years worth of drafts to trade up in the first round to grab a true blue chip prospect like Patrick Peterson, and not some high second round grade of player like we usually get. You know, the same Patrick Peterson that was absolutely schooled by Boldin last week? Nobody was complaining about the secondary after the Patriots game, but now many are quick to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Relax.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
tanda10506
Team President

Quote:
The Eagles addressed the pass rush too though, free agents don't always work out no matter who they are. Gay had a bad game, but I don't think a free agent new to the system would come in and play better then Gay has this season, not right away. Gay has actually played pretty well and so has Lewis. After last night I say we should start Lewis and bring Gay in on the nickle. When the defense stays on the field a lot like last night, the pass rush never gets there, and the same plays that haven't worked all game keep getting called, ANY "average" CB will get exposed, Taylor was one lucky drop away from being burnt for the game winning catch. He was burnt other times too. Everybody had poor coverage last night except for Foote, and Keisel on one play lol, just because Gay happened to be the last one to get burnt doesn't mean we need a FA corner, these guys just shut down Brady a week before.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Well I guess I'm alone in thinking the secondary stinks
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965

the secondary gets ragged on a lot but haven't they given up the least amount of yards in the NFL this year...or close to it.

the last Steelers drive....there are times Ben can run the ball for 5 yards. times like that he can often get the first down and also keep the clock moving.

the throw to Moore seemed rushed. I don't remember Ben being under pressure on that throw.

seems like Miller is either used a lot or not at all. need to keep him active the entire game.
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote