Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
PeterC042
Water Boy

Member Number: 18467
Default Offensive Pass Interference, Torrey Smith!!!!

This call was bull dinky! I agree 100% with this article. I'm so frustrated!
PeterC042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Offensive Pass Interference, Torrey Smith!!!!

They were both Pushing and Shoving...dude just made a play...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524

Don't hate the playa.... Hate the game!
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Don't hate the playa.... Hate the game!
Haha! Too true.

I think the PI rules (or at least they way they are enforced now) are pure bullshit (for a number of obvious reasons). And whatever happened to the uncatchable ball rule? I remember that they would toss out the PI calls if the ball was deemed to be completely out of range. That seems to have gone out the window.

It also doesn't make sense to me that you can knock another players head off, or punch a guy in the face and you get a 15 yard penalty. Grab a guys arm a little too much in the endzone, and it can be 20, 30, 40 yard penalties and ball on the 1. Goodell just wants more scoring....just BS IMO.

Goodell is ruining this game, no doubt. I don't want the kind of injuries that my Father and Grandfather were accustomed to seeing in their days....but having a strong, physical defense is almost a weakness at times (when it comes to penalties).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524

I think that PI gets called too much. Part of the game is jockying for the ball. If it is flagrant, then of course, but I really think the type of hand jousting that was going on in the end zone there should have been a no call on both sides. It gets called enough now that I think everyone expects it and PI becomes a bit like flopping in soccer. Everyone always gets up lobbying for the flag, and I think 50% of the time they actually convince the ref. Whatever. I think the best thing would actually be to go to the college rule where you only get 15 yards or the spot of the foul if shorter than that. Why should you get 50 yards because the CB got tangled with you? As Torry Smith showed earlier, even when you are wide open in the endzone and the ball drops in your hands, there is no guarantee you catch it!
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I think that PI gets called too much. Part of the game is jockying for the ball. If it is flagrant, then of course, but I really think the type of hand jousting that was going on in the end zone there should have been a no call on both sides. It gets called enough now that I think everyone expects it and PI becomes a bit like flopping in soccer. Everyone always gets up lobbying for the flag, and I think 50% of the time they actually convince the ref. Whatever. I think the best thing would actually be to go to the college rule where you only get 15 yards or the spot of the foul if shorter than that. Why should you get 50 yards because the CB got tangled with you? As Torry Smith showed earlier, even when you are wide open in the endzone and the ball drops in your hands, there is no guarantee you catch it!
Yeah...I could definitely get behind that rule.

I just get so irate and almost expect a flag after every dropped pass anymore. And like you said, the players don't make it any better either.

I still love this sport...but I hate that it's starting to make me more and more bitter every year. Goodell took what wasn't broken, shoved it up his ass and screwed it.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,136 Posts
My Mood: Brooding

It was most definitely Offensive Pass Interference by NFL rules. They were both playing handsy at the start of the play but Gay did nothing to impede how Smith ran his route, nor did he blindly put his hands on him without looking for the ball. The fact of the matter is Torrey Smith would've had a chance to catch the ball regardless of whether he pushed off or not but he pushed off and that's what made it nice and easy for him. By the rules the Offensive player cannot do that.

They basically called pass interference on William Gay for being present in the endzone and getting shoved by Smith and that's bullshit. At the very least it should've been offsetting penalties in which case it would of been a replay of the down.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
It was most definitely Offensive Pass Interference by NFL rules. They were both playing handsy at the start of the play but Gay did nothing to impede how Smith ran his route, nor did he blindly put his hands on him without looking for the ball. The fact of the matter is Torrey Smith would've had a chance to catch the ball regardless of whether he pushed off or not but he pushed off and that's what made it nice and easy for him. By the rules the Offensive player cannot do that.

They basically called pass interference on William Gay for being present in the endzone and getting shoved by Smith and that's bullshit. At the very least it should've been offsetting penalties in which case it would of been a replay of the down.

You could tell the refs were all confused about it too, because at first they were calling for a replay of the down.

It's like this is some kind of joke for them any more.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,490 Times in 2,757 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

yep that was PI and if gay was flagged for PI, the foul should have been spotted at the 10-15 yard line where he was putting a hand on smith. in the endzone the contact was all by smith.

but no sense talking about it now, it's a done deal.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote