Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default OLB Harrison's fury on display vs. Ravens

OLB Harrison's fury on display vs. Ravens

By Ralph N. Paulk
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 8, 2011

On a night in which the Steelers came within 8 seconds of vaulting atop the AFC power rankings, linebacker James Harrison proved once again that he's among the most-feared linebackers in the NFL.

Harrison, with scar tissue still visible near a mending right eye, played arguably his best game in two seasons. He tormented Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco by consistently collapsing the pocket.

He overpowered the left side of the Ravens' offensive line. He hurdled a blocking back and rushed through the backfield like a tornado, then swept up Flacco like loose debris.

"Whenever you have (Harrison) back in the lineup, it's going to give you a boost," safety Troy Polamalu said.

Harrison was practically unstoppable. His numbers were off the chart - three sacks, eight tackles (three for loss), eight quarterback hits and a forced fumble.

"That's the type of effort we expect from James, because he consistently delivers," coach Mike Tomlin said.

The Steelers appeared on their way to assuming control of the AFC North after Harrison jarred the ball loose from Flacco with 7:40 remaining. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger cashed in the turnover by zipping a 25-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace for a 20-16 lead with 5:08 to go.

The Ravens seemingly were facing an uphill climb with only 2:24 left. They were pinned down at their 8-yard line and without a clue how to keep Flacco clear of Harrison's ferocious charge.

Harrison didn't pace himself back into rhythm after missing the previous four games after having surgery to repair a fractured orbital bone near his right eye. Admittedly, he didn't have much left in his tank when Flacco orchestrated an improbable 13-play, 92-yard scoring drive capped by a 26-yard touchdown pass to rookie wide receiver Torrey Smith.

"I got winded quicker than I did before I got hurt," Harrison said. "I felt better than I did the first time we played them.

"The eye injury gave me more time to work on my back and heal up a little more. It wasn't too bad, but it is what it is."

Harrison insisted there were no added incentives that ignited his awe-inspiring effort. There was nothing to prove, especially to skeptics who suggest his battle-tested body is breaking down from nine years of heavy hits.

"My motivation is to win," he said in a near-empty locker room. "I don't care how long I've been out or how long I've been in no matter who is it."

The Ravens finally sealed off every passage to Flacco on their final drive. They weren't going to let Harrison beat them, so they double-teamed and mixed up their blocking schemes to give Flacco the split second he needed to connect with Anquan Boldin on third- and fourth-down plays to keep the drive alive.

Then, on the game-winning touchdown pass, the oft-erratic Flacco stepped up in the pocket to deliver a pass that Smith cradled to give Baltimore a 23-20 victory.

"It's always tough to lose, especially when you're in the position we were in," Harrison said. "When it comes down to it, you have to come up with a play.

"We didn't get enough pressure. Maybe we weren't covering. They didn't really do anything differently. We just came up a play short."

Ralph N. Paulk can be reached at rpaulk@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923 .

Read more: OLB Harrison's fury on display vs. Ravens - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1d5TWtGcx
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,477 Times in 942 Posts
Default Re: OLB Harrison's fury on display vs. Ravens

With Woodley hopefully back in the line up soon, I see the Steelers defense getting a lot more TO, just because of the ferocious OLBs.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
With Woodley hopefully back in the line up soon, I see the Steelers defense getting a lot more TO, just because of the ferocious OLBs.
Troy is gonna get a pick or two, hes been so close the past few games
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

Been lurking for a long time, but wanted to post on this topic. Could you imagine what the D would have been like if a healthy Woodley was in the game along with Harrison? There is no way that an O line has an answer for both of these guys coming at the same time.

We talk about the D letting us down this game, but remember that we were not nearly at full strength!

Hope Wood is back in for this coming game...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSteelerMan View Post
Been lurking for a long time, but wanted to post on this topic. Could you imagine what the D would have been like if a healthy Woodley was in the game along with Harrison? There is no way that an O line has an answer for both of these guys coming at the same time.

We talk about the D letting us down this game, but remember that we were not nearly at full strength!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
it will be awesome. james was terrorizing the ravens. it was great to see him back
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

I also am looking forward to getting both of them on the field at the same time- can't scramble left, can't scramble right....more likely to turn into interceptions for us!
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSteelerMan View Post

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
I also am looking forward to getting both of them on the field at the same time- can't scramble left, can't scramble right....more likely to turn into interceptions for us!
See week #1
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt2loc View Post
See week #1
Harrison was playing injured. you can't tell me that james in week 1 and this past sunday were the same thing, it was night and day
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
ravenstsizzle
Water Boy

Member Number: 19134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
it will be awesome. james was terrorizing the ravens. it was great to see him back
Yes he was and some Ravens players(Ray Rice) wanted no part of him.

Needless to say,I think we still did a good job of trying to contain him. I'm glad he wasn't 100% .Now that would have been scary.
ravenstsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstsizzle View Post
Yes he was and some Ravens players(Ray Rice) wanted no part of him.

Needless to say,I think we still did a good job of trying to contain him. I'm glad he wasn't 100% .Now that would have been scary.
Definitely, i had a bit of a laugh when ray rice was like 'ehh **** that' haha. ray rice is no punk too, for him to pull away from a block like that had to take something like a pissed off james harrison coming at him

although i am as disappointed as anyone to see the steelers drop a game against the ravens, it was freakin awesome to see james back and doing his thing. I think he is 100% now. the injury that was slowing him down was his back, but that looks to be fully healed. either that or a 90% james harrison is still a monster. either would probably be accurate