Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Top 10 Steeler games of the past decade: let me hear 'em

Let's talk about something fun, something non-Ben-Pouncey-Harrison-Niner related for a few minutes. What are your top 10 relatively recent Steeler games, why, and let me know what you think about my list. Let's say since the start of the 2002 season, playoffs and regular season included. Here goes:

10) 2005 v. Bears in the snow (21-9): Part of our four-game winning streak to force entry into the playoffs and a truly memorable performance from the Bus in a driving snowstorm in the second half. We all know the iconic image of him destroying Urlacher at the goal line.

9) 2008 v. Cowboys (20-13): I loved this one. Loved the fourth quarter comeback. One of my favorite Steeler plays of all-time was Deshea hopping in front of that Romo pass to bring in the winning touchdown while Heinz went nuts.

8) 2004 Div. Playoffs v. Jets (20-17 OT) : I remember dreading what was to come the next week because we did not look good in this game, but Doug Brien's two missed kicks and the OT victory while dreams for One for the Thumb in Ben's rookie year were still alive make this game very memorable to me, as does the fact that I live in New York and was dreading what I was going to hear from all the Jets fans I know if we lost.

7) 2008 AFC Championship v. Ravens (23-14): What could be better than going to the Super Bowl at the expense of the team we hate more than any other? Polamalu's pick was epic, and who can forget Clark's life-altering hit on Willis McGahee. Santonio's catch-and-run was another big-time highlight.

6) 2004 Halloween v. Patriots (34-20): Perhaps my favorite all-time regular season game. This was the game when Ben announced that he was without a doubt the real deal with an efficient performance that helped us shatter the Pats' 21-game winning streak. I'll never forget after we went up 14-3, on the next possession my man Deshea Townsend picks off Brady's first pass and puts the game basically out of reach.

5) 2010 Div. Playoffs v. Ravens (31-28): Truly an awesome game after falling behind 21-7. Most vivid detail I can recall is the cameras literally shaking when we were getting turnovers and coming back in the third quarter. Antonio Brown's signature moment for his career may end up being that helmet catch on 3rd and 19 to put us in position to send the Ratbirds home heartbroken yet again.

4) 2002 WC Playoffs v. Browns (36-33): I'll never forget this one. Maddox leading the comeback down from 24-7, Fu bulling into the end zone to take the lead with less than a minute left, all with snow falling at Heinz on a day when people said it first felt like it could stand up to Three Rivers in terms of atmosphere. I can still see El sliding into the end zone after his punt return to cut a 14-0 deficit in half.

3) 2005 Div. Playoffs @ Colts (21-18): Unbelievable ups and downs. I remember being in awe of how well we were playing as heavy underdogs, jumping out to a 21-3 lead. Shock when they overturned the Troy pick that would have won the game. Euphoria when Peazy and Potsie brought down Manning to seemingly clinch the game. Like everyone else, a heart attack when the Bus fumbled. And utter relief and joy when Vanderjaqt kicked that ball into the next area code.

2) 2008 Super Bowl XLIII v. Cardinals (27-23): A superior game to XL, just not quite the same euphoria because we had done it such a short time before. Still, an amazing feeling when the ref confirmed what we all knew: that Santonio had come down, both feet in bounds to secure the 6th. Harrison's INT return was one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen on a football field to turn a 14-10 deficit into a 17-7 lead. Win was made ten times better by the fact that we came so close to blowing it. Suffice to say, I was losing my mind.

1) 2005 Super Bowl XL v. Seahawks (21-10): I know this win was tainted in the minds of some by the officiating, but I think that all of it was fairly valid and called within the rules. I'll never forget seeing Hines leaping into the end zone and knowing we just basically clinched the Super Bowl and finally got that One for the Thumb. This is my #1 because it was the first title we won in my lifetime and I don't think I've ever been happier.

Honorable mentions: 2005 AFC Title @Broncos; 2010 13-10 W @ Bal (Polamalu strip-sack, Redman breaking tackles for the winning score); 2005 WC @ Cincy; 2004, dealing the undefeated Eagles their first loss; 2008 @ Ravens (the Santonio catch at the goal line game); and to finish, a weird one: the game in 2002 when Maddox replaced Kordell and led us to victory against the Browns.

Agree, disagree, comments? It's never a bad time to reflect on all the good times we've had around here even in the midst of another season.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: Top 10 Steeler games of the past decade: let me hear 'em

I can't think of anything to add to that other than maybe taking the 2005 AFC Title @Broncos off the "Honorable Mention" list. The reason being that Ben put on a clinic in that game which is mostly overshadowed by the Indy game with "The Fumble" and "The Tackle".

But other than that, I like the list!

One other thing:

In the Indy game where "Vanderjaqt kicked that ball into the next area code", I've always believed that he did that on purpose.

My reasoning starts with his hatred for Manning (which happened for a number of reasons besides the "idiot kicker" remark). I think he also believed that we deserved to win that game because we totally outplayed the Colts (and Manning) and that he believed that we got jobbed on Troy's pick and that all that happened after that was heading towards another "Manning Moment" and he didn't want that to happen.

Since he was looking at leaving Indy anyway, he basically thought that he had a perfect opportunity to say a final F*** You to Manning as well as Indy, so he shanked the kick.

I mean for a kicker of his talent looking at a 46-yarder, indoors and at home and yanking it ten yards to the right and into the 3rd row?

Hmmm...

I'm sure you know that there are many people besides me who think that's exactly what happened.

So I'm curious, what do you and others think?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,582 Times in 2,377 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

my favorite game of all time was when we spanked the chargers badly in 1995. out of all the games I've ever watched, none was more painful to me than losing to san diego in the AFCCG in 1994. As a steeler fan, this was the first time I've seen us get so close, only to lose it in the end. the 31-16 win proved that the chargers were just luckier than dog shit in the previous season. while it didn't totally erase the burn of the AFCCG loss, it did give a lot of satisfaction to get some immediate payback
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,645 Posts
My Mood: Fine

10. 1995 AFC Championship game: Steelers advance to SB XXX and breathe a sigh of relief after last second heave by Captain Comeback Jim Harbaugh of the Colts is almost complete. In my top 5 Steelers heart attack games of all time.

9. 2002 Wild Card Rd Win v. Browns 36-33: Browns blow 17 pt lead with Arians as their play caller and still enjoyable to watch a frustrated Butch Davis.

8. 2004 Steelers end undefeated Patriots 21 game win streak on Halloween

7. 2004 Steelers defeat undefeated Eagles - beginning of meltdown between McNabb and Owens

6. 2005 Wildcard win @ Cincy - The SB the Bengals "should have won" according to Bengals fans. Palmer injuried, The best play of that game was the direct snap to Hines Ward, throw to Ben who looks off defender to make a 43 yard TD throw to Cedric Wilson

5. 2005 AFC Championship game - as you stated, Ben put on a passing clinic when everyone thought we were a run first team - "shooting from the hips"

4. 2008 AFC Championship - as you stated, what better way to go to the SB then to send the Ravens packing thanks to Troy's pick 6

3. 2005 Dvisional v. Colts: Came out firing against a #1 seed that no one gave us a chance against. "The Tackle" The stupid kicker lol - also in my top 5 Steelers heart attack games

2. Super Bowl XLIII: Harrison's 100 yd pick 6, Ben and Tone's 4th quarter heroics. Nuff said.

1. Super Bowl XL: Ben's 1 yd TD dive, the immortal Randle El to Hines Ward TD, the biggest home field advantage outside of Pittsburgh. That game was electric and a long time coming for Cowher and Bettis. Way to send a guy off in style . . .

Honorable mention
A: 2008 @ Ravens to win division with Tone's goal line TD
B. 2010 @ Ravens - Troy's strip sack of Flacco and Redman's beastly run to put us ahead
C. 2010 AFC Championship game - 1st half dominance by beating Jets at their own game of ground and pound right down their throats followed by Clutch pass and catch by Ben and Brown
D. 2010 Divisional - fantastic comeback to send the Ravens packing yet again
E. 1999 - First game in history of Cleveland Browns Stadium. Browns first game back in three year hiatus and we lay a 43-0 whooping on them on Sunday Night football

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

FanSince72 - I wasn't buying into that theory at all as I was reading it just based on the grounds that its hard for me to believe that a professional athlete would purposely let down his entire team and thousands more fans simply to spite Peyton Manning or because he thought the other team deserved it more (even though we most certainly did - we dominated them in that game.) I did say, "well, maybe..." when I read the part about how bad the kick was; looking back, how the HELL does the most accurate kicker in NFL history mishit that thing so badly?

SteelFury - couple thoughts - I was only 5 for the 95 AGCCG, but I know I would have been shitting myself. I did not know that Arians was the OC for the Browns in 03. The best play of the WC game against the Bungles (which I should have included at least in honorable mentions) was indeed the direct snap, but I believe it went to El, not Hines, back to Ben and down the field to my man #80 Ced Wilson. And I loved the win against Philly in '04 - remember Hines scoring on that reverse and flapping his wings? Watching TO and McNabb going at it was priceless.

I can't believe I failed to mention the Bus' send-off in XL! That is a huge, unforgivable oversight on my part. I too got chills seeing 50,000 towel-waving Steeler fans packing the stands at what was supposed to be a neutral sight. I get chills now just thinking about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
PeRK82
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19438

Steelers @ RAVENS week 1 2011

RAVENS @ STEELERS Week 9 2011

JOKING, people.
PeRK82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post

JOKING, people.
Wayyyy too sooonn.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,582 Times in 2,377 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post

JOKING, people.
I'm guessing your least favorite game is gonna be in January 2012 when we send you home again!
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
steve314
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15690

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
10. 1995 AFC Championship game: Steelers advance to SB XXX and breathe a sigh of relief after last second heave by Captain Comeback Jim Harbaugh of the Colts is almost complete. In my top 5 Steelers heart attack games of all time.
How about Super Bowl XIII? That was pretty good, too!
steve314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Number 9 was great. In the colder months, I wear my Steelers knit hat during my commute and at the time I was commuting via bus to community college. The bus driver like myself was a Steelers fan and there was a regular rider like myself except he was a Cowboys fan. He talked a little bit of crap but I smiled and said we'll see Sunday man. I don't like talking shit because the Steelers usually do the talking themselves pretty well for me. Anyhow, loved Deshea and glad he's coaching. That pick six off of Romo was great. And the next day I was on the bus and the guy saw me and to his credit swallowed his pride. Have to agree with XL being number one on here. XLIII was the better game but for many of us like myself who weren't alive in the 70's it was great. This was the first time in my life any of the teams I root for won a championship so it was awesome. I had also graduated from high school that year and the year of XLIII I transferred into GMU. This year I'm graduating from GMU so maybe three will be a charm huh. As for the Indy game in 2005. I don't know honest if Vandy missed that on purpose or not but that was a crazy game. Nearly had a heart attack when Jerome fumbled heh and I was only 18 then.The next week against Denver was great albeit anti-climatic in comparision.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote