Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #21
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Peter King calls out Wallace; Says Harrison should not be suspended

I agree on what you've said about prior history with receivers

do you think Wallace has done enough to earn top money - especially if he ends up with same stats or a little less/more than last year? Not saying that is everything taken into consideration but if he stays on pace, he doesn't warrant top money IMHO. An upgrade? Heck yes - but not top money.

Also, don't you think if Smith, Ward, Farrior, McFadden, maybe Foote are gone that would open up some money for Wallace?

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I've said it a dozen times, and I'll say it again: Wallace is not coming back. He will cash out like every Steelers receiver since Lipps, with only one notable exception in that time frame.

And honestly, with the emergence of Brown and Sanders, and the stability that Cotchery will bring as well, we won't need to beg for his services. We're basically winning without him already.
I wonder if thats the reasons he's not getting much thrown to him lately. Seems like Browns gettin the load now.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

eh, I just think Ds have to pick their poison now more than ever

the great ones find ways to have huge days regardless if you are game planning for them or not

that lead changing TD catch v. Ravens is what I'd like to see more of - that was one heck of an effort he had to make to come back across to that side of the end zone to connect with Ben

Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Other then maybe New England, I don't see another team out there that could use him better than right here.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #25
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

please don't paint me that nightmare

Wallace, if you leave - go to NFC lol

Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post
Other then maybe New England, I don't see another team out there that could use him better than right here.
I think you've got it backwards; I think most teams in the league could use him more and better than we're using him right now (or New England, who just learned a little lesson about bringing in free agent receivers). You think Holmgren wouldn't pay top dollar for him to be a Brown? Or Seattle? Or Houston, to play him across from Andre?

His options are limitless, and he will get beau coup bucks. Nothing we can do about it except overpay, and I don't see that happening.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

First of all, Wallace is only going to be a restricted free agent next year, so he most likely will be kept around at the minimum of one more year. Then you have Hines Ward retiring and no guarantee that Jerricho Cotchery would re-sign with the Steelers, or if he would, if he would accept a contract that a Steelers team tight against the salary cap could afford.

Secondly, don't be so quick to push him out of the door. The fact of the matter is that a lot of success of the Steelers offense runs through the threat of the Wallace deep ball and teams responding by doubling teaming him and playing the secondary out of the box. This makes everything else the Steelers try to do more successful, and it gives the other receivers more opportunities to succeed against lesser defensive players. I don't think one could say for certain that Brown would be performing as he has been the past 7 weeks without Wallace being there.

I have heard rumblings of Wallace being somewhat disgruntled over his lack of production over the past several weeks, but not in such a way that it is a team distraction; it's more a young player wanting to be able to help his team and not delivering as well as he wants to.

Finally, I think it's hard to predict what the Steelers will do based on their past history. If you were to look at recent history, for example, you would think that the organization would do its best to keep him, as they have been much more consistent with keeping their stars around in the past decade. There is a litany of examples that don't even need to be named, even from just this past offseason.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

He's just not a great blocker, its as simple as that. That doesn't mean he's a criminal.
Regardless, when his time comes to be a free agent, he is going to get GIGANTIC money thrown at him by likely multiple teams.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
He's just not a great blocker, its as simple as that. That doesn't mean he's a criminal.
Regardless, when his time comes to be a free agent, he is going to get GIGANTIC money thrown at him by likely multiple teams.
Exactly. Why would a team deep at the position even attempt to match offers he'll be getting elsewhere? I suppose they could tender him high, but even then I can think of more than a few teams that would consider him a bargain for a 1st-round draft pick. It could also backfire, since he knows he'll be getting the short end of it from the Steelers.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,426 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Why is everybody already saying Mike Wallace will not be with the steelers next year? only receiver we really have besides Mike is AP cause how many games has Sanders played this year? yeah not that much and Hines will not be here next year and Cotchery IMO will not be back... Mike Wallace will get his payday and he will not be like Holmes we only traded holmes is because we had Mike Wallace on the rise and he was not worth the money even tho he was a super bowl MVP...just stop hating on him cause he is not that great of a blocker SMH he makes plays and the last time i check thats all the really counts.

Last edited by BLACK_AND_YELLOW; 12-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote