Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #151
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: HARRISON SUSPENDED FOR ONE GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkitchen View Post
I'll tell you why he wasn't checked for a concussion. He didn't have one in my opinion. The force that sent him to the ground was mainly Harrison's arm push. The flag is warranted in today's nfl, any fine or suspension is ludicrous.
Huh? Fortunately for NFL players, your opinion doesn't matter. It's the doctors' opinions that matter, and Colt McCoy did indeed suffer a concussion on that play.

Last edited by ricardisimo; 12-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #152
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
C'mon man. There's a difference between a little ribbing from an opposing team's fans and just straight out douchebaggery. I mean hey, our team was dumb enough to cut the guy, seems only reasonable for us to be pleased that he's apparently not going to play in what is probably the last regular season game you guys have a realistic shot at losing.

Is it really that bad to come on here and make the point that, yeah, the NFL is getting ridiculous, but for crying out loud, shouldn't Harrison have seen this coming and changed at *least* his attitude if not the way he plays? I mean really I think this goes back to how the way you conduct yourself can come back to haunt you.

And say what you will about Ray Lewis - if anything, Harrison should learn a little something from the guy about how to rehabilitate your image to stop from hurting your team. You are right - Ray has plenty of fines for hits, but the way he has carried himself since the Atlanta incident has a lot to do with why he hasn't been suspended.
I agree with you for the most part. And other Steelers fans can hate me as much as they want.

I've kept mostly quiet on the situation so far, because I wasn't really sure where I stood on it all.

Bottom line for me right now though is that I don't agree with the suspension in terms of the hit as well as a couple of the hits he was fined for last season...but as you mentioned, I think it's his attitude that has made him the poster boy for illegal hits.

Based on quotes from both Harrison and Lewis after they've been fined, they both pretty much say the same thing in that they aren't going to let a fine stop them from playing the hard hitting football that they've always played. Harrison has gone out of his way though to trash Goodell and the league, and he's have to be stupid to think that wouldn't make him more of a target. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. The same way it made Cooke a target when he basically said the same things (if you even know the reference to the Penguins and his suspensions).

I've complained for a long time about the fact that fines aren't going to get any player to change how they play the game. Only when they truly impact the team on a large scale will it matter (or it should matter).

I don't agree with the rule changes, and like many others, I'd like to see it implemented more fairly across the board (if it was I'd be more apt to agree that the ruling was fair). Harrison should have kept his mouth shut though. At least for the time being. All it does right now is cause more trouble with the team and with himself.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #153
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Do any of you think that a hockey-like penalty box would work.

How about 15 yards and you sit out 4 or more plays. That would hurt your team enough to warrant a change in behavior, maybe?
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #154
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I agree with you for the most part. And other Steelers fans can hate me as much as they want.

I've kept mostly quiet on the situation so far, because I wasn't really sure where I stood on it all.

Bottom line for me right now though is that I don't agree with the suspension in terms of the hit as well as a couple of the hits he was fined for last season...but as you mentioned, I think it's his attitude that has made him the poster boy for illegal hits.

Based on quotes from both Harrison and Lewis after they've been fined, they both pretty much say the same thing in that they aren't going to let a fine stop them from playing the hard hitting football that they've always played. Harrison has gone out of his way though to trash Goodell and the league, and he's have to be stupid to think that wouldn't make him more of a target. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. The same way it made Cooke a target when he basically said the same things (if you even know the reference to the Penguins and his suspensions).

I've complained for a long time about the fact that fines aren't going to get any player to change how they play the game. Only when they truly impact the team on a large scale will it matter (or it should matter).

I don't agree with the rule changes, and like many others, I'd like to see it implemented more fairly across the board (if it was I'd be more apt to agree that the ruling was fair). Harrison should have kept his mouth shut though. At least for the time being. All it does right now is cause more trouble with the team and with himself.
I do think we'll see a few more suspensions to get the message across. It was probably not an accident that Harrison got it first. And for everyone dumping on Tomlin for not sticking up for his guy, he is just doing damage control and trying to mitigate his losses. If Tomlin gets frisky he is just putting himself in a situation where the NFL is going to want to send another message. That's the last thing he wants to do with 3 weeks left in the season.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #155
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Do any of you think that a hockey-like penalty box would work.

How about 15 yards and you sit out 4 or more plays. That would hurt your team enough to warrant a change in behavior, maybe?
I think that getting rid of the helmets would work. Most defenders will tell you that they view their helmet as one of their primary weapons. So, take that weapon away.

Short of that (and of course, it ain't gonna happen) the league could make any and all helmet-to-helmet hits illegal, with no exceptions, fifteen yards and a first down every time. Fines and penalties should be restricted to players intentionally trying to hurt one another in any way, shape or form.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #156
soulkitchen
Water Boy

Member Number: 19225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Huh? Fortunately for NFL players, your opinion doesn't matter. It's the doctors' opinions that matter, and Colt McCoy did indeed suffer a concussion on that play.
Yep. That is the company line now. It had to be about 1 minute after the game ended.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #157
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkitchen View Post
Yep. That is the company line now. It had to be about 1 minute after the game ended.
To which company would you be referring?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #158
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,778 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Who put McCoy in greater danger: James Harrison or Pat Shurmur?
My vote goes to the Browns medical staff

Mike Holmgren, the president of the Cleveland Browns, said Wednesday that quarterback Colt McCoy was not tested for a concussion after taking a hit to the head during a game last week, in part because the medical staff was tending to other players and did not see the play.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/sp...tml?ref=sports

Unbelievable until you remember it is the Browns we are talking about here - no surprise nobody told the team doc McCoy was on the sideline because Harrison decapitated him - instead they treated McCoy's complaint about his hand being injured
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #159
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

I say, SUSPEND the coach and the examining Doctor of the Brown's, for putting Colt back in the game.
-cool sounding name though, "Colt McKoy" that's not his real name btw all, that's just his "acting" Hollywood name.
Anyone know his real name ?
:)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #160
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Hey, does anyone think this suspension will encourage players to act more hurt after a tackle than they really are? I do.

Hell, if I were a receiver I'd intentionally try to make contact with the defender's helmet, then fall to the ground all dazed..........why not? And maybe just to be a dick, I'd jump up all happy and celebrating after the hanky flies, just like Tom Brady.
Steel Peon is online now   Reply With Quote