Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,475 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: any fine or suspension for browns phil taylor yet?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/12...erger-in-head/

phil taylor fined 15k
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Thank you for this.
Quote:
Cleveland Browns rookie defensive Phil Taylor said on Wednesday that he has been fined $15,000 by the league for his roughing the passer penalty on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this past Thursday night.

Taylor was penalized in the first quarter for delivering a blow to the head of Roethlisberger. This makes the second player disciplined from the Thursday night game as Steelers linebacker James Harrison was suspended for one game on Tuesday for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Brown quarterback Colt McCoy .

There is still no word if Steelers linebacker James Farrior will be fined for his hit on McCoy out of bounds that also drew a penalty in that game.
DanRooney: Please note who informed us of the fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Thank you for this.

DanRooney: Please note who informed us of the fine.
I don't really know who announces fines and I really could care less, but I find it hard to believe out of all of the fines you hear about (including the one below), the agent felt it was in his clients best interest to announce that he received a fine from the league office.

NFL announces fines for Seymour, Mayo, Pettigrew

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...s.ap/index.htm
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I don't really know who announces fines and I really could care less, but I find it hard to believe out of all of the fines you hear about (including the one below), the agent felt it was in his clients best interest to announce that he received a fine from the league office.

NFL announces fines for Seymour, Mayo, Pettigrew

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...s.ap/index.htm
His agent didn't, he did. Probably because he was pissed about it, or because he was asked and answered honestly, but who really knows why? Half the time it's the showermates of the affected player griping to the reporters on their teammate's behalf.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #25
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
It's almost annoying how much you guys are crying about Harrison. I couldn't even defend the hit the first time I saw it. I was in shock that he actually went to the head regardless if he thought McCoy was a runner. He was behind the LoS. He should have aimed lower knowing Goodell is not a fan of his.

Now the Fitzpatrick, Brees and Jason Campbell fines were all bogus. But I thought this and the Massoquoi fines were perfectly warranted.
Harrison actually wasn't fined for the Campbell hit. Which, unfortunately, validated the fact that it wasn't a penalty to begin with, and took away a pick six from Ike Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Sorry guy, but that first part seems like such a load of BS. Did roger write that for you? So they're supposed to be safe...unless it's impractical?? What?? It's hard to tackle a runner without a helmet to helmet hit but not a QB or WR? I would think it's easier to tackle a RB without a helmet-to-helmet hit. Either you preach safety and stand behind it all the way or you pick and chose and look like you are fixing games. Plain and simple.

On the second part, did you watch the game? Ben got chopped across the head and got up moving his head like his neck was hurt.
Runners do not have helmet t helmet protection because they are in a defensive position. Anybody with the ball, whether it be a RB, QB, WR, TE, or even a lineman that picks up a fumble, is considered a runner. A runner has accountability for his own protection; if he doesn't want to get hit in the head, he has to avoid the hit. This is the theory behind the defenseless player (ie. a WR before he secures a ball or a QB in a throwing posture). Far from BS, and far from league spokesmanship, just good old fashioned common sense there.

Regarding the Taylor hit, I still don't remember it, but I'm not going to deny it, and I see that he was fined, so that answered the main question of the thread.

Somebody said Massaqoui was a runner; he was not. He never even caught the ball before Harrison drilled him, which is a prerequisite for a defenseless receiver to transition into a runner. This is why Ryan Clark's hit on Willis McGahee back in the 08-09 playoffs wasn't a penalty, because McGahee had become a runner. This is made explicit by the fact that the ball on the ground was ruled a fumble, meaning that McGahee had already secured possession and was attempting to advance the ball as a runner.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Harrison actually wasn't fined for the Campbell hit. Which, unfortunately, validated the fact that it wasn't a penalty to begin with, and took away a pick six from Ike Taylor.

Runners do not have helmet t helmet protection because they are in a defensive position. Anybody with the ball, whether it be a RB, QB, WR, TE, or even a lineman that picks up a fumble, is considered a runner. A runner has accountability for his own protection; if he doesn't want to get hit in the head, he has to avoid the hit. This is the theory behind the defenseless player (ie. a WR before he secures a ball or a QB in a throwing posture). Far from BS, and far from league spokesmanship, just good old fashioned common sense there.

Regarding the Taylor hit, I still don't remember it, but I'm not going to deny it, and I see that he was fined, so that answered the main question of the thread.

Somebody said Massaqoui was a runner; he was not. He never even caught the ball before Harrison drilled him, which is a prerequisite for a defenseless receiver to transition into a runner. This is why Ryan Clark's hit on Willis McGahee back in the 08-09 playoffs wasn't a penalty, because McGahee had become a runner. This is made explicit by the fact that the ball on the ground was ruled a fumble, meaning that McGahee had already secured possession and was attempting to advance the ball as a runner.
That doesn't make any sense. If it's incumbent upon the runner to protect his own head, and it's his responsibility to avoid the helmet-to-helmet contact, why isn't the runner ever fined for the contact when it happens, instead of the defender?

The other thing that doesn't make any sense is using the phrase "good old fashioned common sense" in reference to the NFL administration. Common sense would dictate eliminating all helmet-to-helmet hits, at least if your stated goal is to reduce head injuries. Instead, you cannot lead with your helmet, except in prime time, and on the third Thursday of every month, unless it's a handsome QB you're aiming at, and his arm is moving forwards or into his jock strap, or he's dating someone who is attractive, or...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Harrison actually wasn't fined for the Campbell hit.
No, but it was still used as part of the justification for suspending him anyway. Complete bullshit.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
I thought some one posted rules claiming no helmet to helmet on a runner? Just curious, if Tebow rules out of the pocket and gets hit if he decided to throw. What happens? Im getting confused about the rules.

The fans, the players, the coaches, and even the league office itself is confused about whats safe, whats not, what's an illegal hit, what ain't, etc.
Its incredibly pathetic. I can't even put it into words.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
steelersfan77
Team Captain

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

It's bullshit you have to lay off a reciever and allow him to catch the ball and make all sorts of moves before you can lay some wood. Is it the recievers fault, the defenders fault or the quarterbacks fault for putting his reciever in an akward position to begin with?

Every quarterback throws a bad ball without properly reading the defense. Ben threw a ball to Hines and got Hines layed out by Ray Lewis. Ben had no buisness trying to fit that ball in there in front of Lewis. He's either trying to fit the ball in for a first down knowing Lewis is there or he never saw him.

If Clark pulls up on Dickson that's a 30 yard completion in a game where the Steelers couldn't get off the field on 3rd down to begin with. I'd rather see Clark lay him out, take the 15 yard penalty and fine, suspension whatever, and let the Ravens know he's there than simply let Dickson make that long catch because Flacco made a horrible read with over the top safety help. It's not Clark, it's Flacco. The friggin' quarterback should be flagged 15 yards for being stupid.

I loved the hit by Harrison on Massaquoi. Massaquoi is soft to begin with and so is Cribbs. Cribbs admitted Harrison tryed to hurt him in practices at Kent State. For what? Hitting him to hard in a full contact practice. Get off the field Cribbs. I'd rather see Harrison take the penalty and fine/suspension than let Massaquoi catch that ball. I bet that hurt. You can thank you're quarterback later for not being able to read a defense. He still can't read a defense.

Let's play big boy football. The rest of these pansies, see you in the CFL.

Sincerely, Jack Lambert

P.s. Gocong didn't make a football play or try to wrap up. He launched himself helmet first into Mendenhall. Guess that should've been a penalty. Where you at Adolf GODell?
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #30
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
The fans, the players, the coaches, and even the league office itself is confused about whats safe, whats not, what's an illegal hit, what ain't, etc.
Its incredibly pathetic. I can't even put it into words.
These are some pertinent sections from the official NFL Rulebook:
Article 8
There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:
(a) striking an opponent anywhere with the foot or any part of the leg with a whipping motion;
(b) contacting a runner out of bounds;
Note: Defensive players must make an effort to avoid contact. Players on defense are responsible for knowing when a runner has crossed the boundary line, except in doubtful cases where he might step on a boundary line and continue parallel with it.

(g) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.
(h) any player who grabs a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twists, turns, or pulls his head.

(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body.
Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9.
And here is the aforementioned Article 9 in its entirety:
Article 9
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.
I included the segment which relates to Farrior's stupid penalty against McCoy.