Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Tomlin showed his true colors today

Tomlin didn't want to get in trouble from the league office. Tomlin and Rooney spoke out before defending Harrison's hits. It didn't really matter in the long run.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #32
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

I hear there are a few coaches available...
steelax04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
You people are ridiculous. The hit was, by the rulebook, illegal. There is no wiggle room in there for Tomlin to defend. He HAS to acknowledge that Harrion's hit was illegal. Tomlin is a hypocrite? That's just stupid. Anybody who continues to deny that the hit was illegal either can't read, can't see, or can't take what he reads and apply that to what he sees. Whether it's illegal and whether it's stupid are two different things, and you can't expect a head coach in the NFL to come out and say that the rulebook is stupid, because they have to play by it. Tomlin "defended" Harrison as much as he could, explaining that the hit was under unusual circumstances and that he had been working hard to change the way he plays and that he hadn't had a personal foul in over a year. What more is he supposed to say? Did you expect him to say that Harrison's hit wasn't illegal when it so blatantly and obviously was not?
Moron. No wiggle room? All you need to see is Harrison aimed for the chest on a player that left his feet to make a last second pass. His head just so happened to be where his chest was at the time of impact. That's like someone t-boning a car that ran a redlight. The person who had green should not be held liable for idiocy from others
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #34
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Tomlin didn't want to get in trouble from the league office.
Exactly. He already got called on the carpet several weeks ago by Der Fuhrer for defending Clark .
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
steelersfan77
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10585

McCoy had tucked the ball. The wuss saw Harrison at the last minute and put Harrison in a tough situation. Plain and simple. Oh wait, I'm a running back, no wait I'm a quarterback, BAM. Who am I? Am I a quarterback? Not sure because I don't know how to read defenses to begin with and I'm not getting any better. Where am I?Am I in Pittsburgh? Is it Thursday? BAM! Suspension. Who knew.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #36
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

This one was a tough play for Harrison. By league rules, it's a penalty and I fully expected to see the flag, fine, and 1 game suspension. McCoy had eluded the rush and was outside the pocket, ball tucked heading toward the line of scrimmage. At the last second he pulls up and lobs a pass as Harrison is bearing down. Split second decision, and Harrison destroyed him. Helmet to Helmet? Yes. He could have avoided it but not without taking out some of the aggression he plays with. Sad part is, I think the result has a lot to do with the harshness from the league. If McCoy pops right up and into the huddle for the next play, I don't thik there is a fine or suspension.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LambertFan View Post
Moron. No wiggle room? All you need to see is Harrison aimed for the chest on a player that left his feet to make a last second pass. His head just so happened to be where his chest was at the time of impact. That's like someone t-boning a car that ran a redlight. The person who had green should not be held liable for idiocy from others
If you were observant at all, you would know that it's irrelevant where a defender is AIMING when targeting a defenseless player, it's where he CONTACTS. In this instance, it was the guy's god damn face. There is no wiggle room. It was an illegal hit by the letter of the law, and anybody arguing otherwise is just waiting their breath in favor of denial.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #38
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

More from Bouchette:

Quote:
On the Steelers: Tomlin muzzles players' response
But some question fairness to Harrison
Thursday, December 15, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The latest and heaviest punishment the NFL dropped on the Steelers provoked neither the emotion nor outrage that burst from their locker room a year ago after hefty fines were delivered.

James Harrison's one-game suspension brought more resignation than anger from his teammates, partly because coach Mike Tomlin told his players Monday to cool it when talking to the media about the topic.

In the meantime, the NFL's Ted Cottrell heard the appeal Wednesday by Harrison and his agent Bill Parise. His ruling will be made this week. Cottrell is a former coach hired to hear appeals by the league and the NFL Players Association.

Safety Troy Polamalu said his coach told the players "just to say no comment."

Polamalu's comment?

"No comment."

Many Steelers players disagreed with Harrison's punishment, and some acknowledged it might have a chilling effect on the way they play defense. Others thought it unfair that Harrison was suspended for trying to make a tackle while Oakland defensive lineman Richard Seymour was only fined $30,000 for punching Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito earlier this month, even though it was the second time he had punched another player in two seasons. Seymour punched Ben Roethlisberger last year and was fined $25,000. He was ejected on both occasions.

So repeating a mistake trying to make a tackle cost a suspension while a repeat in throwing a premeditated punch after a play -- which would get a player arrested if he had done it on the street -- drew a fine of only $5,000 more than the first time?

"Man, they're tripping," cornerback Ike Taylor said of the NFL. "I don't know what it is. [Harrison's] getting it handed to him in the NFL way ... He didn't stomp on nobody, he didn't punch nobody's private area."

While Polamalu would not talk about Harrison's situation, he offered an opinion on how it would be difficult for defenders to change how they play the game.

"I don't think any football player is going to go out there and change the way they're playing. I think it's too late in our lives to really do that. Of course, we're professional athletes and we try our best to adjust, but it's tough."

Safety Ryan Clark, the Steelers' player representative to the union, was fined $40,000 for what the league determined to be a helmet-helmet hit Nov. 6 to Baltimore tight end Ed Dickson. Tomlin defended Clark on that one, but, if he hits another player in a similar fashion, he could be the next one to serve a suspension.

"We all are I guess, now," Clark said about being one hit away from a suspension. "The way the appeals process is, the way the suspensions and fines processes go, I guess we all are. There are no set rules, no clarification on what will get you suspended or what will get you fined a certain amount. It's really all let up to judgment.

"We have to continue to try to play within the rules, try to do the right things because it's a battle we really can't win. The NFL is going make the decision on who plays and who doesn't and, for us, we have to try to find a way to play within the rules and still be able to maintain a physical presence out there."

Sometimes, though, the appeals process works. It worked for linebacker James Farrior earlier this year when he and his agent Ralph Cindrich appealed a $15,000 fine he received for hitting Indianapolis Colts quarterback Kerry Collins Sept. 25 helmet-to-facemask. The fine was reduced to $5,000.

"When you get kicked out of a game or get suspended, that's hurting the team," said Farrior, who thought Harrison's suspension might cause defenders to play differently. "We have to think about doing whatever we need to do to not hurt the team."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11349...#ixzz1gb6xSNQm
Farrior's soliloquy at the end is odd, given that he hit McCoy out of bounds in the same game.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #39
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LambertFan View Post
You would make a horrible lawyer.

Keep flippin' burgers.

Last edited by Opt2loc; 12-15-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #40
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I can't see how Farriors comments are helping the "team". Your comments about the hit out of bounds is a great point. I wish Farrior would help the "team" by covering a TE in his area.