Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #61
Yehoodi
Water Boy

Member Number: 19054
Default Re: Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
The problem with the rules is that they are used inconstantly. If I quarterback scrambled 2 or 3 times in a drive you assume he is going to do it again. He throws and ducks, now we are calling him defenseless?

Same can be said for low hits on a QB. I see it weekly in our games and it's safe to say maybe 1 out of 3 are called. Officiating in the NFL sucks to a point it will cost a team a game.

Lastly, it's shameful to have one of the toughest guys to ever play hockey as your avatar and cry about a quarterback that took a hard hit.
Whodis, I do agree with you that the low hits on the QB, the QB/RB anaylsis, the QB dive (timing of), and late hit out of bounds are all tricky to call and to a degree it based somewhat on reputation . . . (interestingly one of the "don't hit the QB cause he is going out of bounds" was when Tedy B. held up on K. Stewart in that late 90's playoff game, and Stewart faked going out of bounds then run up the sideline)

so yes it is not perfect, but none the less we do have the protection, and if there area few cases here and there where "it should not have been called" or cause a defender to hold up when he would otherwise not, then I will take as we gain the benefit of the safety of the players . . .i will take take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays . . .

Interestingly, that you bring up Bobby Orr . . . one of things that can be prevented with rules regarding sports safety is the reduction in season ending and perhaps career ending injuries . . . if you remember Orr only played nine season (winning the Norris trophy 8 times), and retire at the age of 28 and played his last full season as the age of 27!!, WELL within his prime . . . sadly do to in part low hits, his knees gave out and the sport lost one of its brightest stars at the age of 27 . . .

and my Pats team lost Brady in 2008 to a low hit to the knee . . .

you can stil be tough and have hart hits, but it the hits that could cause permanent damage or season/career ending that need to be curtailed, you still have many many more different knds of hits outside of the ones that are made illegal . . . and for me i for one enjoy and support a sport that can still be tough and agreesive but yet thin out the hits that can result in permanent damage . . .

look at your own Penquins and Crosby and his concussions, hockey and Pitt is missing out on a great player . . .
Yehoodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #62
Yehoodi
Water Boy

Member Number: 19054
Default Re: Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Lewis lowers his head and hits Hines in the helmet. Oh sure he half way tries to reach for him but his arms never even touch Hines at all. But his helmet sure does. Look, I'm OK with hits like that. But the NFL should be fair about it, and they are not. Not even close.
as a mention above in the post to whodis, it is tough to judge some of this hits . . .

but for me i look at Lewis coming to make a play and tackle and his helmet "happens" to make contact with Ward, whereas Harrison's point of contact, thrust of his moving (if you will), was towards McCoys head . . .Harrisons arms were not in a tackling position . ..

Speaking of Lewis and the consistency of the refs, Harrison's hit was just like Lewis hit on Chad O., with the thrust of the hit towards the head and the arms out in front as opposed to a wrapping action . . . and in the Lewis hit, he it was flag and find . . .

so the nfl is consistent, in the Lewis/Chad O. and Harrison hits the impedus of the "tackle" was contact to the head, and the Lewis/Ward hit the impedus was a wrapping motion with the arms . . .

you may disagree but there is a difference between coming at a player head first with arms out front (or down by side) and coming head first with the arms outstretch in a wrapping motion, the later is one trying the make a tackle with the arms and top of body, the former is a player trying to make a "tackle" by cold c*cking the guy with a hit to the head with the arms not being used to make the "tackle" . . . and if the former is taken out of the game than no problem by me . . .

to me the difference can be seen . . .
Yehoodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #63
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Re: Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?
Yes,
and,
Yes
to both questions.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote