Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,204 Times in 645 Posts
Default Re: Your stand on illegal hits and laying up on defenseless reciever or QB?

The game I played growing up was called FOOTBALL, as a very smart high school football coach once told us "The Game of Football is Nothing Short of a Controlled War", we all know War is Hell!!!!! The NFL has gotten real, I mean real soft, the question I have to ask is this, the hits weren't an issue during Rozelle's tenure, they weren't an issue with Tagliabue, why all of the sudden are they such a big issue with Goodell? Now I get the concussion issue, however, concussions have always been a part of football, no matter what you do they will not be avoided, sort of like torn, ACL's, MCL' s etc.... So what does Goodell do next, no tackling below the waist?
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489
Default Re: Your stand on illegal hits and laying up on defenseless reciever or QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
The game I played growing up was called FOOTBALL, as a very smart high school football coach once told us "The Game of Football is Nothing Short of a Controlled War", we all know War is Hell!!!!! The NFL has gotten real, I mean real soft, the question I have to ask is this, the hits weren't an issue during Rozelle's tenure, they weren't an issue with Tagliabue, why all of the sudden are they such a big issue with Goodell? Now I get the concussion issue, however, concussions have always been a part of football, no matter what you do they will not be avoided, sort of like torn, ACL's, MCL' s etc.... So what does Goodell do next, no tackling below the waist?
No tackling at all. He wants basketball scores
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,308 Times in 584 Posts

What's needed are more refs like Ben Dreith who knew when someone was giving someone else "the business down there".

Since many cases of helmet-to-helmet contact are judgement calls, I think there needs to be better judgement. A good ref knows the difference between incidental contact and headhunting and that judgement needs to be part of the call or no-call. Right now, the ref's hands are tied by the way the rules are written as well as by the hysteria about concussions, so that ANY helmet contact is automatically called out when in many cases helmet-to-helmet contact is in the form of a glancing blow or simply a rebound from contacting a players pads and is clearly not an attempt to injure.

Many times when a law (or rule) is the subject of a "crackdown" extreme enforcement is the result and every single little thing is put under a microscope and even the slightest infraction is treated as a major offense. Once all the hoopla dies down, things become more forgiving but that takes time. And for players such as Harrison who ramp up the rhetoric and publicly protest the enforcement, it takes even longer.

It shouldn't be that way, but there's always a difference between what should be and what is.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
90% of these hits that used to be appladed would now result in fines and suspensions...

[YOUTUBE]RkS2PTuZeoA [/YOUTUBE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I got a lot of enjoyment out of that video. Goodell needs to die. Now.
the (once) great sport of Professional Football should-not be run by a woman

that's MY stand on the state of the NFL at this point in-time
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Theres less penalties and fines in womans football

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Ms. Goodell would fine the girl in the center of the picture, with the Pink band around her thigh, for a 'uniform violation' (it appears the rest of the team is wearing Black), then give the band to Marcia
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

My thoughts - If you don't want to get hit, don't play football. If you want to be a commissioner of a sports league that involves no hitting, go to the NBA or the MLS or MLB, stay the f*&$! out of football.

Goodell is destroying everything great about this league. He is making it harder and harder for me to watch pro football.

Ryan Clark and James Harrison are not dirty football players. They are great football players.
Richard Seymour and Ray Lewis are dirty, scum bag players. But they are not Steelers (that's another story)
Ndamukung Suh is just dumb and immature. I would not consider him dirty, over aggressive and dumb? sure
Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the NFL sucks.. every game is marred by horrible and inconsistent officiating. they are turning it into an arena football/flag football type of game with all the rules. it's going to continue to get worse with new rules being introduced each year.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
You obviously don't "get" the "concussion issue" if you don't understand why concussions are treated differently now than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. What the league is doing, at the core, is important, and necessary. It's not being implemented smoothly and obviously plenty of people have various forms of disagreements with it, but with what science has told us about concussions and the effects of concussions, it is a moral imperative for there to be some sort of system in place to prevent and discourage the actions that lead to concussions. That sentiment is one that I fully support.

And Ryan Clark hits guys in the head way too often. Maybe he's not a "dirty player" necessarily, but then again, maybe he is. Just because he's a Steeler doesn't mean he's perfect.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,222 Times in 1,849 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
You obviously don't "get" the "concussion issue" if you don't understand why concussions are treated differently now than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. What the league is doing, at the core, is important, and necessary. It's not being implemented smoothly and obviously plenty of people have various forms of disagreements with it, but with what science has told us about concussions and the effects of concussions, it is a moral imperative for there to be some sort of system in place to prevent and discourage the actions that lead to concussions. That sentiment is one that I fully support.

And Ryan Clark hits guys in the head way too often. Maybe he's not a "dirty player" necessarily, but then again, maybe he is. Just because he's a Steeler doesn't mean he's perfect.
Goodell? Is that you???

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote