Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
Default Steelers - No tears shed for Todd Graham

This was an interesting (if not shocking) article in the P-G this morning

Todd Graham obviously was a duplicitous jerk by the way his departure shafted Pitt and his players, but from a football standpoint why would you not want your players to have every opportunity possible to interact with one of the most successful franchises in the NFL?

The embarrassment, pain and anger the people at Pitt are feeling isn't shared by those who share the building and indoor practice field on the South Side with them.

The Steelers practically threw a party when they heard that Pitt coach Todd Graham quit. That goes from the top to the bottom, from those who work in the offices to the coaches and every-day workers who came into contact with Graham and his staff in the building.

They described Graham as an arrogant man who had no use for anything the Steelers might have offered, and they say he resented having to share the building and the indoor practice field at the UPMC complex with them.

Before Graham, the Panthers and the Steelers ate in the same cafeteria, although at different times. Graham came in and put an end to that. The cooks at the cafeteria still prepare the food for the Panthers, but it is then brought over to the other side of the building, where Pitt created its own cafeteria to serve Graham's players and his wishes.

Now here's a suggestion for Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson as he searches for his next football coach: Knock on the door next door at that South Side duplex and ask the Rooneys how they do it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11352/1197443-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Steelers - No tears shed for Todd Graham

(Well the hiring of Graham has been greeted with skepticism here in the Valley of Sun. This is one of the milder articles about him. - mesa)

ASU's hiring of Todd Graham elicits skepticism
Sun Devils' newest football coach has won a lot of games, burned a lot of bridges

95 comments by Dan Bickley, columnist - Dec. 15, 2011 08:03 PM
The Arizona Republic

Deep down, most college coaches are just like Todd Graham. Their loyalty is to the University of Me. Their rhetoric is propaganda with pompons.

Still, there's something unsettling about the new football coach at Arizona State.

He's made a lot of enemies. He's been called a lot of names. There are many angry people in his wake.

"I hire lots of people," ASU President Dr. Michael Crow said. "I engage in interviewing lots of people. I look for passion and energy and skill and intelligence and perseverance. And he has all of those things."

Crow said nothing about loyalty and commitment. He knows better.

Character issues aside, maybe Arizona State's football program could use a little ruthless ambition. Graham is a professional climber with a cacophony of catchphrases, a man deeply attuned to the cult of personality.

During his introductory press conference, he referred to laminated note sheets. He spoke reverently of Frank Kush, Pat Tillman and Jake Plummer. His talking points -- discipline, community outreach and recruiting -- conveniently matched the biggest deficiencies of ASU football.

At times, he looked and sounded eerily like former President George W. Bush.

"Oh, yeah," Crow said. "Only he's the native Texan and President Bush was a native (of) Connecticut. So what we think is perhaps President Bush took his Texas lesson from Coach Graham."

Maybe all that Texas charm will help galvanize an ASU family disconnected from 11 years of emotional neglect. Dirk Koetter was arrogant and unwelcoming. Dennis Erickson had plenty of charisma, but he's a lone wolf at heart, unwilling and unconcerned with community roots.

Clearly, Graham can talk a good game. But while ASU's fractured football community listens for sounds of hope, those in his rear-view mirror are calling BS. Former players and employers were stunned by his classless departure. What will we say of Todd Graham in a few years?

But there is something powerful in Graham's wake, too. Clearly, he has had an impact on people. He made them believe. Like most climbers, he does whatever it takes to get where he wants to go. And if he weren't such a promising coach, why would the jilted care so much about his departure?

Graham was once a white-hot prospect. Take away the stopover in Pittsburgh, and the hiring would feel a lot different. It's the only thing on the resume that makes him look like a carpetbagger, and maybe Pittsburgh was simply a mistake on both sides.

After all, a blue-collar, Rust Belt city is no place for a guy who looks and sounds just like W.

"We had to get to the core of what this was really about," Crow said of Graham's job-hopping. "I'm convinced in talking to him for several hours that going to Pittsburgh was not something his family ultimately accepted. There's a big difference between central Texas and the East Coast. As a Sun Belt state, Arizona is more of a blend with Texans, Californians and Minnesotans. Do I think it's an issue? No."

Graham wouldn't go into details but said his family had a terrible time in Pittsburgh. And maybe Graham's personality and high-octane salesmanship will make him the perfect solution for the complex competitive landscape in Tempe. Maybe there'll be some cattle to go along with that hat. But many feathers have been ruffled during this contentious coaching search, and ASU's reputation has suffered.

At the height of discord, Crow told one prominent booster, "Look, I know what I'm doing." Wednesday , ASU's administration had the gall to chide the media for erroneous reporting yet refused to set the record straight regarding the flirtation with June Jones.

"If you don't mind, we'll keep those details private," Vice of President of Athletics Lisa Love told the audience.

And if you don't mind, I'll remain a bit skeptical about Todd Graham, his ethics, and whether those in charge actually know what they're doing when it comes to hiring a football coach. But I'll hope for the best.

Reach Bickley at dan.bickley@arizonarepublic.com or 602-444-8253. Follow him at twitter.com/danbickley. Listen to "Bickley and MJ" weekdays from 2-6 p.m. on KGME-AM (910).

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...#ixzz1guFyiIjj
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
(Well the hiring of Graham has been greeted with skepticism here in the Valley of Sun. This is one of the milder articles about him. - mesa)

ASU's hiring of Todd Graham elicits skepticism
Sun Devils' newest football coach has won a lot of games, burned a lot of bridges

95 comments by Dan Bickley, columnist - Dec. 15, 2011 08:03 PM
The Arizona Republic

Deep down, most college coaches are just like Todd Graham. Their loyalty is to the University of Me. Their rhetoric is propaganda with pompons.

Still, there's something unsettling about the new football coach at Arizona State.

He's made a lot of enemies. He's been called a lot of names. There are many angry people in his wake.

"I hire lots of people," ASU President Dr. Michael Crow said. "I engage in interviewing lots of people. I look for passion and energy and skill and intelligence and perseverance. And he has all of those things."

Crow said nothing about loyalty and commitment. He knows better.

Character issues aside, maybe Arizona State's football program could use a little ruthless ambition. Graham is a professional climber with a cacophony of catchphrases, a man deeply attuned to the cult of personality.

During his introductory press conference, he referred to laminated note sheets. He spoke reverently of Frank Kush, Pat Tillman and Jake Plummer. His talking points -- discipline, community outreach and recruiting -- conveniently matched the biggest deficiencies of ASU football.

At times, he looked and sounded eerily like former President George W. Bush.

"Oh, yeah," Crow said. "Only he's the native Texan and President Bush was a native (of) Connecticut. So what we think is perhaps President Bush took his Texas lesson from Coach Graham."

Maybe all that Texas charm will help galvanize an ASU family disconnected from 11 years of emotional neglect. Dirk Koetter was arrogant and unwelcoming. Dennis Erickson had plenty of charisma, but he's a lone wolf at heart, unwilling and unconcerned with community roots.

Clearly, Graham can talk a good game. But while ASU's fractured football community listens for sounds of hope, those in his rear-view mirror are calling BS. Former players and employers were stunned by his classless departure. What will we say of Todd Graham in a few years?

But there is something powerful in Graham's wake, too. Clearly, he has had an impact on people. He made them believe. Like most climbers, he does whatever it takes to get where he wants to go. And if he weren't such a promising coach, why would the jilted care so much about his departure?

Graham was once a white-hot prospect. Take away the stopover in Pittsburgh, and the hiring would feel a lot different. It's the only thing on the resume that makes him look like a carpetbagger, and maybe Pittsburgh was simply a mistake on both sides.

After all, a blue-collar, Rust Belt city is no place for a guy who looks and sounds just like W.

"We had to get to the core of what this was really about," Crow said of Graham's job-hopping. "I'm convinced in talking to him for several hours that going to Pittsburgh was not something his family ultimately accepted. There's a big difference between central Texas and the East Coast. As a Sun Belt state, Arizona is more of a blend with Texans, Californians and Minnesotans. Do I think it's an issue? No."

Graham wouldn't go into details but said his family had a terrible time in Pittsburgh. And maybe Graham's personality and high-octane salesmanship will make him the perfect solution for the complex competitive landscape in Tempe. Maybe there'll be some cattle to go along with that hat. But many feathers have been ruffled during this contentious coaching search, and ASU's reputation has suffered.

At the height of discord, Crow told one prominent booster, "Look, I know what I'm doing." Wednesday , ASU's administration had the gall to chide the media for erroneous reporting yet refused to set the record straight regarding the flirtation with June Jones.

"If you don't mind, we'll keep those details private," Vice of President of Athletics Lisa Love told the audience.

And if you don't mind, I'll remain a bit skeptical about Todd Graham, his ethics, and whether those in charge actually know what they're doing when it comes to hiring a football coach. But I'll hope for the best.

Reach Bickley at dan.bickley@arizonarepublic.com or 602-444-8253. Follow him at twitter.com/danbickley. Listen to "Bickley and MJ" weekdays from 2-6 p.m. on KGME-AM (910).

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...#ixzz1guFyiIjj
The living newspaper bin, mesaSteeler

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

I wonder what the future holds for the Pitt Panthers and let's be honest Tino Sunseri is not a QB even at the college level. Anyone watching the final Pitt offensive series vs WV had to wonder what was going through the minds of the Pitt coaching staff and Sunseri, after that game people were calling for heads.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I wonder what the future holds for the Pitt Panthers and let's be honest Tino Sunseri is not a QB even at the college level. Anyone watching the final Pitt offensive series vs WV had to wonder what was going through the minds of the Pitt coaching staff and Sunseri, after that game people were calling for heads.
Hey, i'm a Buckeyes fan, so I don't know much about the Panthers. But, by looking at Sunseri's stats, he looks pretty decent? What makes him so bad?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Ok, this video summed it up for me:

Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Fraud Graham is an asshat. Pitt football is better without his Redneck High Octane bullcrap ruining the program.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Ok, this video summed it up for me:
I don't follow college football much but to me that looks like he was throwing the game. Either way that was the stupidest/worst set of downs I've ever seen played at any level of football. If this QB has good stats as previously mentioned and usually plays well, then there's no excuse for that unless he's throwing the game.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,107 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Never had a problem with Pitt but I did like watching my Hawkeyes make that comeback on them earlier this season. Wasn't very impressed with Graham.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote