Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #31
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Bound and Gagged: Tomlin Giving Into NFL, Tells Steelers To Stay Mum

Actually the Steelers owners voted against it
Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #32
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Bound and Gagged: Tomlin Giving Into NFL, Tells Steelers To Stay Mum

No they didn't. I think you're thinking of some Steelers players voting against the CBA. The new rules were voted in unanimously.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-ad604f977b30

Quote:
When these issues were presented as part of the NFL owners’ meetings in late March, they were tabled, at least partly because the league’s coaches weren’t completely satisfied that there was clarity on how they were to be implemented. But on Tuesday, with no coaches around, the league’s 32 owners voted unanimously to approve rules amendments directed at enhanced player safety.

Included in this was a measure aimed at penalizing a player for launching himself into a defenseless opponent, and it also should be noted that the definition of what constitutes a defenseless player has been broadened.

With these changes, a defenseless player now is defined as those throwing a pass; attempting or completing a catch without having time to ward off or avoid contact; a runner whose forward progress has been stopped by a tackler; kickoff or punt returners while the ball is in the air; kickers or punters during a kick or a return; a quarterback during a change of possession; a player who receives a blindside block from a blocker moving toward his own end zone.

It will be a 15-yard penalty for anyone who launches himself to hit a defenseless player, and such tackles also will be subject to fines.

But it was after NFL vice president Adolpho Birch III said the league will punish a team if its players are fined multiple times for illegal hits when Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal tweeted that reporters covering the meetings in Indianapolis already were calling the policy the Anti-Steelers Rule.

In a subsequent story on USAToday.com, long-time NFL reporter Jarrett Bell wrote, “Art Rooney II isn’t too thrilled that a planned new NFL policy to police excessive flagrant fouls was quickly tagged with a nickname: The Pittsburgh Steelers Rule. Yet the Steelers president understands the intent: Player safety.”

“I’m going to reserve judgment on it now,” Rooney told Bell. “I’m not going to say I’m opposed to it. I would hope that it’s something that is used judiciously, that is sort of reserved for repeated type of conduct. I think if it’s handled that way, it’ll probably be effective. It’s still under discussion.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #33
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

that is what I was thinking, I stand corrected.