Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,190 Times in 499 Posts
Default Lack of running game////

Shocked to see the Steelers not run the ball more often tonight. I think it's a fair observation that givin' our recent troubles heading into 9'er stadium with a very gimpy QB, that the run game needed to show up. Disappointed to see absolutely no sense of urgency with what was at stake when it came to bigtime situations.

Ben throwing it for almost 50 times on a shattered ankle just doesn't sit right with me. It's not like we were down by 30 to abandon the run at any point. I actually thought Mendenhall has a decent game. Should have fed the backs more to atleast keep the defense honest. Mendy averaged 4.3 yards on only 15 carries with a gimp QB.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Lack of running game////

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Shocked to see the Steelers not run the ball more often tonight. I think it's a fair observation that givin' our recent troubles heading into 9'er stadium with a very gimpy QB, that the run game needed to show up. Disappointed to see absolutely no sense of urgency with what was at stake when it came to bigtime situations.

Ben throwing it for almost 50 times on a shattered ankle just doesn't sit right with me. It's not like we were down by 30 to abandon the run at any point. I actually thought Mendenhall has a decent game. Should have fed the backs more to atleast keep the defense honest. Mendy averaged 4.3 yards on only 15 carries with a gimp QB.
Mendenhall was running with purpose tonight, and more of it would've been nice. BA's playcalling was terrible though. Everytime Mendy gained more than 5, he ran it again. And every time, he was stuffed.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Bottom line other than misdirection draws and gadgets runs, we can't line up and run the ball from the power I with this offensive line. We tried but the 49ers defense stood up our OL.

Offensive line needs to be revamped.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,896 Posts

good thing there wasnt an earthquake/tsunami/blackout, with ben in a full leg cast.

...arians woulda called 65 pass plays to "trick" the opposition.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,190 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Mendenhall was running with purpose tonight, and more of it would've been nice. BA's playcalling was terrible though. Everytime Mendy gained more than 5, he ran it again. And every time, he was stuffed.
15 carries is just a very low amount considering it was a very close game for the majority of the time. It would also be nice to see us mix up our run game when we DO run it as far as direction. Very rarely do I ever see Mendenhall pound it to the left side of the line. Always running right about 90% of the time. Just a lackluster performance with such an incredible opportunity right in the palm of our hands.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
15 carries is just a very low amount considering it was a very close game for the majority of the time. It would also be nice to see us mix up our run game when we DO run it as far as direction. Very rarely do I ever see Mendenhall pound it to the left side of the line. Always running right about 90% of the time. Just a lackluster performance with such an incredible opportunity right in the palm of our hands.
Yeah, the running game has potential to flourish, but it's not being handled right. We have an excellent group of RB's, and between the three we used, we ran it 19 times. That's not good.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Arians simply doesn't understand the relationship of adjacent plays. Every play is in it's own universe, which is why there are no real bootlegs or screen plays to running backs (they are rare, anyways). That also means every play is just as good an opportunity for a long bomb as any other. Using a successful run up the gut to set up a screen or even another run, but to the outside, or even some gadgetry with the RB tossing it back to Ben, or... whatever.

No. Run right guard. Run right guard again. Then on third and short: obvious passing down, long bomb. It's frustrating, and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Every week I will bring this up: when will Bruce Arians put two consecutive good showings together? Dick Lebeau has bad weeks, but he also regularly puts together strings of four, five, six+ weeks of dominating performances. When Bruce? When?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:

We ran the ball 19 times for 84 yards (4.4 avg), and passed 44 times. We held the T.O.P 31:26 to 28:34. Just an awful game plan offensively considering our QB was beat up. No continuity or flow to the offense. The Niners took away the deep throws, so what do we do, keep trying to throw deep. We are going to see more of this with Bruce as OC.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPsteelers View Post
Bottom line other than misdirection draws and gadgets runs, we can't line up and run the ball from the power I with this offensive line. We tried but the 49ers defense stood up our OL.

Offensive line needs to be revamped.
Misdirection or rather the counter has always been a staple of the Steelers O. Draws, or gadget runs as you put it, are effective when playing a stout D. Running the football is attitude and rhythm, Something we are not going to have with this OC.
Our OL is a work in progress but with Bruce as the OC we will never have even a little balance.
Our offensive firepower is at WR, but we still need to run the ball better, but I'm not ready to put all the blame on the OL. Our OC with his ridiculous game planning and his inability to adjust to the other team is more of the cause to our lousy offensive showing. With the talent we have on O we should be putting up 28-30 points every game.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

No one is running on the 49ers this year. We did okay against them last night. The real question is why didn't they use the 49ers aggressive pass rush against them? Draw them in and throw some RB screens.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote