Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Mike Tomlin press conference

Mike Tomlin press conference
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...a4bcf6878.html
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Excerpts of the Mike Tomlin press conference:

OPENING STATEMENT

"Like we reviewed last night, it was really just a losing performance by us and a winning performance by the 49ers. We played their brand of football, and we played the game at their pace. They created turnovers. Their punter, Andy Lee, kept us with a long field, particularly in the second half. I thought we moved the ball well but we weren't able to finish drives. Through execution or through turning us over, they put together a nice drive in the second half. They capitalized on some penalties. We just didn't play very well. So we will assess it. We better assess it quickly. We have a quick week this week, in terms of getting back here and preparing ourselves for the St. Louis Rams.

"A few quick injury notes: Mewelde Moore has an MCL sprain. Needless to say, he won't be available this week. Rashard Mendenhall has some sore ribs. We will see where he is. I am sure he will be fine but he will have some discomfort in the early portions of the week. Some of the guys that missed some time going into the game that have a possibility of returning are Chris Carter, Maurkice Pouncey and Emmanuel Sanders, and I thought LaMarr Woodley did fine coming off his injury. He was able to participate last night. We took him out at the end of the game because fatigue set in, but he was fine. There were no setbacks there. We will keep an eye out on all the others.

"On the short week, it's about us getting ourselves squared away, and getting ourselves prepared to play winning football again. We didn't play very well last night. I think it starts there.

"Looking at the Rams and what they are capable of, it starts with Steven Jackson. We have to minimize what he is capable of doing. They have quality depth at the running back position. Cadillac Williams backs him up, and Jerious Norwood. They have three quality backs that know how to run the football. They've had some shuffling up front and at the quarterback position. We will analyze the situation when we get information on who their quarterback might be. We have a great deal of respect for Sam Bradford. He's a talented young player, and he's shown quite quickly that he's a capable quarterback in this league. Brandon Lloyd is a legitimate threat outside at the receiver position. Danario Alexander is a size matchup guy. He plays big down the field, and he's capable of making big plays that way. If you look at them defensively, it starts with James Laurinaitis, the man in the middle for them. He makes sideline-to-sideline tackles. Chris Long provides consistent pressure. He's an effort guy. He's also very talented, and he's having a very productive season. James Hall is a veteran guy up front for them. They have had some injuries though in the secondary, particularly at the cornerback position. We will see who plays back there for them. With the short week like this, we have to assess ourselves, particularly from an injury standpoint and from a player availability standpoint, and formulating a plan that we can execute at a high level, given the circumstances. We look forward to responding to our last performance. We better do so quickly, this week."

Ben Roethlisberger said he lobbied to stay in the game to the bitter end. Did you have an inclination to take him out?

"No, he and I had been in that situation before. I know what kind of competitor he is. I wanted to support him in that."

What is there to gain with a guy that is hurt staying into the game until the last minute?

"He is a competitor and I am not going to deny those guys those opportunities. I think his teammates definitely have an appreciation for that. I think that is how we are built."

Was there a point that you considered pulling him?

"No, not really. There were some points where I wish we would have performed better. But no issues in terms of considering pulling him at any juncture of the game, based on health."

Did he indicate to you that he felt better? He seemed more comfortable in the second half.

"No, we didn't have any discussions along those lines. I know we moved the ball more fluidly in the second half. We started the first two possessions of the game turning the football over. In the second half, more than anything, we were just working on the long fields. But we were able to move the ball at times. So it probably was a more fluid performance in the second half but I don't know if it was anything injury related."

Re: Clock management at the end of the first half, was that an opportunity to go into the half still with a timeout, and Ben not having to spike the ball with about 15 seconds left.

"Looking back at it, it probably was. We dumped the ball to a check-down back that produced minus two and I thought we had a pretty good play that would put us in field goal range. They covered the guys downfield, but we dumped the ball to the back in an effort to get some yards that would make us a little more comfortable with the field goad position we were looking at. Obviously minus two didn't do it. He stepped out of bounds. There were four seconds left on the clock. It was irrelevant to utilize a time out at that time. We took a shot at the end zone because we were outside of field goal range. So probably could have handled the situation better, and definitely the utilization of the time out could have played a part in that. But we were interested in utilizing the whole field on the second down play when we checked it down to the back, and you needed a timeout in order to do that. So if we used the interior of the field we could clock it, and go on from there, and kick a field goal. Those things didn't transpire and that is one of the many reasons we lost the game."

Do you let your quarterback make that decision since he is in there playing?

"Certainly. Those guys play and particularly at that position."

Did you get an explanation on the leaping call on Lawrence Timmons, and were you satisfied with the explanation?

"I didn't get one that I was satisfied with. That was a big question mark for me, but definitely not the reason we lost the game."

Re: Keenan Lewis Interference on the punt. It looked like they ran into their own guy.

"Another one that was questionable in my eyes, but again not a reason that we lost the game. Our performance was."

Can you take us through leading up to the game when the power went out, and then when it went out the second time? What did they tell you?

"They didn't really have much more information than what we had. A transformer or something was down and they were doing the best that they could at that time to rectify the situation. Where it was going to take us, they weren't sure. All our conversations the second time it went down was keeping the teams on the field if at all possible, to avoid the re-warming up and so forth that goes with going into the locker room. We were just interested in staying on the field. They handled the situation as quickly as they could. It had no bearing on how the game unfolded as far as I am concerned. It was a situation that both teams had to deal with. Obviously they dealt with it better than we did."

With Mewelde Moore out, will there be a roster move?

"Yes."

How did Ben feel postgame?

"I haven't seen him this morning. We will assess all those guys tomorrow and I will have more information for you then."

There seems to be a debate on if Ben took a shot to play in that game or not.

"I don't know the specifics of what kind of medical treatment that he got prior to that game. I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to that."

Did he mention to you how he felt after the game?

"He felt sore of course. But no worse for the wear as far as I could tell. We didn't talk a great deal about how he felt, we talked more about how the game unfolded, and that is usually the lines of our discussion post-game."

--

Mike Bires reports on Ben Roethlisberger still playing late in the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach in his "Steel Crazy" blog that can be found on www.timesonline.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,917 Times in 870 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Mike Tomlin press conference

the more i hear him talk the more i dislike the man
Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i don't mind what he has to say.....what really bothers me is the "militant" and "we'll just keep doing the same thing" attitude that always prevails in his talks.
Adjustments are needed at different times. Last night was a good example. There was none on defense. He has to be more open to change and to also get his guys more emotional when they take the field.
If you looked at the 49ers defense last night, particularly the defensive line, they looked like salivating wild animals from Africa they were so hopped up out there. You could practically see the foam coming out of their mouths. Unfortunately, when you looked at our guys, they looked tired and half-interested. Thats a HUGE difference.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
the more i hear him talk the more i dislike the man
Agreed. I don't know what I expect him to say, but it's never what he says. Often times it seems like he doesn't care.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

At least Moore won't be an option during the playoffs.... Arians will finally have to use Redman
Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

I really dont know why people are complaining about what he says all the time. I guess people will never be satisfied with anything. He has proven that he is a winning coach and the team has been winning consistently since he got here.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
I really dont know why people are complaining about what he says all the time. I guess people will never be satisfied with anything. He has proven that he is a winning coach and the team has been winning consistently since he got here.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,732 Times in 809 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
At least Moore won't be an option during the playoffs.... Arians will finally have to use Redman
Give Moore a break that guy has been pretty good for us during his stay in Pittsburgh. The problem with our running game isn't with our backs it's with the offensive line that can't run block to save their lives.

As for Tomlin he's not Rex Ryan if you guys want to watch a coach that goofs off and is outspoken go watch Jets press conferences. Tomlin is a serious guy and I believe the organization keeps him under wraps a bit. He's not going to say anything controversial and I don't have a problem with that. He's the coach.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote