Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default Teammate: Jets WR Holmes quit during loss to Dolphins

noway would tomlin put up with this stoner turd.

Quote:
A season full of public-relation nightmares for Santonio Holmes ended with another blow to the New York Jets captain's image.

Holmes wasn't on the field Sunday for the final two minutes of the Jets' 19-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins -- a loss that ended New York's playoff hopes -- and running back LaDainian Tomlinson said afterward that the receiver was benched for behavior issues.
"There were guys in the huddle not happy with Santonio's demeanor throughout the game and in the two-minute drill," Tomlinson said, according to ESPNNewYork.com. "And they said something to him about it."
A curt Holmes addressed the media after the game and said "it was a coach's call" to sit him while the Jets tried to rally late in the fourth quarter.
"Patrick (Turner) came in and tapped me on the shoulder and told me to come out," Holmes said.
Turner caught a 10-yard touchdown pass to make it 19-17, but the Dolphins then ran out the clock, ending the Jets' season. Holmes was targeted only once Sunday and didn't have a catch for the first time in his 88 NFL games.
"It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner," Tomlinson said, according to The Associated Press. "You've got to lead by example, and you've got to play your tail off until the last play."
Jets coach Rex Ryan told reporters that he didn't bench Holmes.
"I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn't out there myself," Ryan said. "I didn't bench Santonio. You'll have to ask him."
A source with knowledge of the decision-making process told The Star Ledger that the decision to bench Holmes was made by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer because he had run out of options with a player whom one Jet called a quitter.

"He quit," the player said. "It's happened for the past two to three weeks. It's happened all season."
Multiple players told the newspaper that Holmes was "moping" throughout the game, and the problems came to a head when the receiver and a teammate began arguing in a huddle during the fourth quarter.
"The worst thing that can happen, the worst thing, is when your teammates start to question your passion for the game," Tomlinson said, according to The Star Ledger. "That's the worst thing. And I think in that huddle, that's what you saw. When guys looked in his eyes, and he didn't have that fire in his eyes, guys were turned off about that."
Holmes was asked at the end of his news conference if he wanted to play for the Jets next season -- Holmes signed a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason with $24 million guaranteed -- but he declined to answer the question.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default Re: Teammate: Jets WR Holmes quit during loss to Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
no-way would tomlin put up with this stoner turd.
like Noll before him, Tomlin tried to quickly replace a bad-apple, but accepted this behavior until changes could be made:
unfortunately, this is a fact-of-life with today's over-paid, highly-tempermental athletes

crazy to hear that a Head Coach (especially the know-some/tell-all Fat Bastard) wouldn't know why one of his best play-makers wasn't on th field during a game
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Further proof that the Steelers front office is clueless.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

No one likes him. Most of their fans don't like him, and now apparently, alot of his teammates don't either. Thats some pretty big stuff to be talking to the press about how they don't like him.

He makes plays, but he also drops alot of balls as well. A clear "all-about-me, overpaid athlete". This is a poster child for that cliche.
I've never changed my opinion....as i've said from day one when he left here, "GOOD riddance"
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood: Tired

He's a cancer in the locker room and has gotten worse. The Jets should kick him to the curb. He obviously didn't get the hint when as the MVP of Super Bowl 43 he got traded for the equivalent of some belly button lint... well okay it was a 5th Round pick which isn't too shabby but it was definitely a slap in the face for a guy that just won the Super Bowl MVP award. I'm glad he's gone and I have a feeling he'll be gone from New York before too much longer. New York might be getting rid of him and Sanchez.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,043 Times in 879 Posts

Benched for "behavior issues"?

What is he, ten?

They showed that argument in the huddle on TV and we were wondering what was up.

I liked the comment: "When guys looked in his eyes, and he didn't have that fire in his eyes", because when I looked in his eyes on TV they looked absolutely red and I turned to my bro-in-law and said that Santonio looks like he was hittin' fatties all night.

It's a shame actually because I liked him and thought he was a great wideout. But even I noticed the change in him after SB43 -- he suddenly got all full of himself and it went straight to his head.

I love the fact that AB has stepped in and not only replaced him but is actually even better than Santonio was (I also love that AB swiped Santonio's "first-down" pose too).
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,855 Times in 4,493 Posts

in todays presser, the fat coach stripped holmes of his captainship and said it was a mistake he never believed in making holmes captain in the first place.

to half assed take some heat off holmes he said no players would be named team captain going forward.

what a schmuuuuuuck.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

yesterday rex ryan cried. lmao.

he always called santonio a raven killer, now he can call him a JETS killer as well.

Jets veteran on WR Holmes: 'I don't see how he can come back'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...und-the-league
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

NFL net reports he will be back next season....we know how well informed they all are!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

hell, rex ryan says he'll be back next season. i guess he just likes having someone on the squad who has killed both the teams he's coached. lol