Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Colts fire the Polians

This is yet another example of why it's good to be a Steelers fan. The Colts should suck for the next few decades, making our road to the Super Bowl that much easier.

Posted Jan. 02, 2012 @ 7:04 p.m. ET
By PFW staff
Updated Jan. 2, 2011 @ 9:24 p.m. ET

NFL's "Black Monday" has taken a big turn in Indianapolis. Colts owner Jim Irsay began announced that the franchise parted ways with Bill and Chris Polian on Monday. Head coach Jim Caldwell's status is still unknown.
The Colts finished their worst season since 1991, finishing 2-14 after getting off to an 0-13 start.
Bill Polian just finished his 13th season as the team's president and Chris was the team's VP and general manager. The Colts' streak of nine consecutive 10-plus win seasons and AFC South division crowns ended this season. They won the Super Bowl following the 2006 season.
"It was difficult, it was time, it was the right decision to make," Irsay said. "Bill is a Hall of Fame general manager.
"I'm excited about our new direction. It's a new era."
Irsay described his decision to fire the Polians as "intuitive" and said it was based on many factors.
Irsay said that Caldwell's status is still under evaluation, and that the new GM will have say in the evaluation of the coaching staff. No other changes took place in the organization besides the Polians and director of football operations Steve Champlin, who won't get a new contract.
The firings took sidelined Colts QB Peyton Manning by surprise.
"I'm very surprised and shocked," Manning told The Indianapolis Star. "I don't want to speak for Bill, but I did meet with him and he is (shocked) as well. It's a sad day, and it's the worst part about this business. I'm sorry that it went down this way."
The Colts have the No. 1 pick in April's draft, and all signs point to the team selecting Stanford QB Andrew Luck. Manning's future with the team is unknown.
Bill Polian released a statement through the team that said, "I would like to thank Jim Irsay and the Irsay family for all they have done for me over the past 14 years. I'm grateful for all the support the fans have shown us in good times and bad. Indianapolis has been a wonderful place to live and work. Most of all I would like to thank the players, coaches and staff who have played the pivotal role in this magnificent journey. I will miss them all."