Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #51
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Retool not rebuild, cuts for 2012

Overall #7 in D and overall #18 in O shows that being 1 and out in the playoffs is not really an anomaly. The "new" NFL is more about O than D and unless we can consistently put points on the board and keep our D off the field, we will have a hard time. It was even worse yesterday with an aging defense playing in high elevation.

Arians blew it once again. Why stick to what worked (running game) when all you have to do to lose the game is to rely on a banged up QB?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #52
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
What a horrible way for Ward to go out

Both CBs need to go
The entire O-line(exept Pouncy)
Very intelligent. Ike Taylor just had his best season, regardless of yesterday. William Gay showed a lot of development this season, picked off two big passes in two divisional games and made a host of other solid plays. These two guys anchored the number one passing defense in the NFL. But you're right, they're dead weight, they gotta go.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #53
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel95 View Post
I agree with most of what everyone has said; yes, this was the O/C fault. Why in the world did he stop running the football? In regulation, after the last 1st Down, they should have ran Redman! They could have picked up enough yards to kick a field goal. Another thing; that WR Screen? How many times is Arians going to call that junk? He is starting to get too predictable, lousy game plan. These guys were listening too much to the critics all week about Tim Tebow and his ineffectiveness to throw the Football. Hmm! That last play will stick in their minds the entire off-season I bet. Yes, the following players need to be replaced in the starting lineup:

James Farrior - Father time has caught up with him; the guys really looks slow N old out there. He can't cover the middle, can't keep up with the RB/TE's any longer.

Casey Hampton - Too old, too slow, still has a little left, but not nearly enough to last a 16 game schedule anymore. Draft a NT or ILB with the first pick.

Hines Ward - One of my favorite Steeler Players of all time; and that's saying quite a bit considering I've been following these guys for 37 years. But his time has come.

Aaron Smith - Placed on IR three out of the past four years, do I need to say more?

Larry Foote - A serviceable backup, the guy isn't a starter though.

Mendenhall - I would trade or release him, lets go back to some Old Steeler style football; did you see Redman tonight? Pound the football!!!

D. Lebeau - I still think he has it; but if he's too enamored with his current players to see and understand it's time to move on, then maybe it's time he should too. I hate to say that, I love this guy, but either the scheme or the players needs to go. It's obvious the players can no longer execute his scheme.

Bruce Arians - Do I need to say more.

The Backup QB's - The only one I would keep is Batch; Dixon, and the other guy, can't recall his name at the moment, the one that's fragile as glass, goodbye as well.
Watching Redman run was a thing of beauty, and then. At the end of regulation he would've got us in FG range. Instead we go five wide, get knock out of fg range, and the rest is history. Don't know if I'd get rid of Hampton tho. He still hard as hell to contain, its just the LB's behind him that suck!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #54
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Cuts:

A Smith - Not contributing, needs to go.

Gay - Lots of people defend him, but I never bought into it. I don't care what anyone says, he cost us the play that would have put us a game ahead of the Ravens and given us the week off.

Moore - We have an established #1(Mendenhall) and a stable of guys ready to fight over the #2 and #3 spots. Moore is redundant.

Batch - We need that roster spot for someone who will actually see the field.

Sepulveda - He gets paid too much to sit out injured.

Kemoeutu - Zero value from him.

That's it on my list. Cutting too many in a shot isn't good for the team overall, IMO. There are others I'd deal with in other ways.

Ward - Fine to stay, if he understands he'll be the bottom of the chart, and takes a pay cut.

Farrior - Kept as a backup, or to play a few snaps a game.

Foote - Maybe a backup if there's room. Not a starter for sure.

Hampton - Plays less snaps, as we get replacements ready to take over.

B-Mac - His last chance. He used to be solid, but I don't know what went wrong here. If he can't get back to his A game this year, he goes.

Calling for Ike and Keisel to be cut is a bit extreme. I don't agree with the "Ike is the #1 corner on the #1 D so he must be #1 in the NFL" garbage, but he's serviceable most of the time. I've seen a lot of posts claiming he must be #1 because he's the least targeted, but that's also silly. If you're a QB, and you see Ike and Gay/B-Mac trot out into coverage, who will you be passing at?

Pouncey has been injured a lot, but IMO, this might be because his supporting line is crumbling around him. He's the anchor of the center of the line, but if the guys around him are giving ground, it makes it easy for him to get isolated and plowed under. I think if we get some solid play to the sides of him, it'll be fine.

By next year, we need to draft a QB early. I'm not saying we replace Ben, but we really need our next guy to be queued up soon.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #55
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
# 7 Is why Tomlin has been so successful...
Same can be said of Belichuck, Dungie, Green Bay's current coach, dude in New Orleans.

Players make great coaches.

While Batch is older, I'm still wondering why so many Steelers fans are ready to let him go. He's better than Leftwich AND Dixon. What's Charlie's record as a Steelers starter?

Are the Steelers planning to draft a QB?

James Farrior is the #1 reason the Steelers run defense gave up almost a hundred yards a game on the ground this year.

Love the guy, but for the same reason Hines needs to go, Farrior's time as a Steeler is done.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #56
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Ward, Hampton, Batch, Farrior, Smith, Sepulvada, Kemo, and Colon could and should be replaced with current players and the draft.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #57
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

Unfortunately Casey Hamption might have to be a casaulty. If yesterday's injury is really an ACL...at 34 years old, he just might be done. He'll count $8 mill toward the cap in 2012 and will be an UFA at the end of the season anyway...and it would be highly unlikely that the Steelers woud pursue too vigorously.

I love Hines Ward. I can't think of seeing the Steelers take the field without him...but he'll be 36 years old next season and has seen a dramatic reduction in productivity. If he wasn't willing renegotiate his contract and play for a signficant amount less, his $4.6 hit to the cap will be too much. Saving nearly $13 million between Hampton and Ward could go a LONG way in helping the Steelers seal up Wallace and secure some much needed help at the NT and OL positions.

Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke need to have played their last games. It's over guys...thanks for the service, but it's over.

Kemoeatu is going to be a $5 mill hit to the cap. Please....I saw the guy was graded as one of the worst guards in football. He's horrible. Too much money in a guy who isn't protecting your teams biggest asset.

Charlie Batch will be 38 going into next season. He's an OK backup but can he really win you 3-4 games if Ben goes down for an extended stretch? All 3 of the backups are free agents. The only one I'd like to see them resign is Leftwich...assuming he can ever stay healthy. If not...it's time to start fresh at the backup QB position.

You gotta find a way to resign Wallace to a long term deal...got to seal up Mundy and Redman, too. I think with Ward's departure, Cotchery could prove to be a big asset. Kid has some work to do, but the way he hung on to that football on the TD yesterday showed me something.

Resign Legursky, Gay, Moore and Scott.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote