Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142
Default Re: Is anyone else watching NFL network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so rex ryan is still trying to put a spin on this and do damage control by putting out this fire. he says of all the problems this will be the easiest one to fix. blames himself for not really having the pulse of the locker room.

WOW.... epic fail.
He was always a blowhard. I liked him better when a) he was OUR blowhard and b) he was leashed by Billick
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple View Post
You mean the first ballot hall of famer? The greatest middle linebacker of all time? the one who has been in this league 16 years and still plays at a high level (i.e. probably still top 10 in the nfl, with players who idolized him when they were literally kids)

I'm just curious. Seriously, not respecting Raw lewis for his football prowess shows not only hatred of the Ravens, but ignorance of the game. Seriously he has 10 All Pro selections--Ravens/NFL conspiracy maybe?
I seriously a lot when I hit the sauce. So people know I'm serious. Seriously.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
The greatest middle linebacker of all time?

... not respecting Raw lewis for his football prowess shows not only hatred of the Ravens, but ignorance of the game...
Quote:
I was 13 in 2000 and hadn't discovered football
... lemme get this straight...

you've watched the game being played for all of 10 years, then you come onto a Steeler site, where many of us saw Jack Lambert (and Butkus and Nitschke before him) play, and tell us that Lewis is the best-ever in 92 years, like you are 'the authority'???

I question if you have 'discovered' the game YET

it might come as a surprise to you, but the game was played long before ESPN & twitter

you might want to look in a mirror and re-define 'ignorance of the game'
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I actually like Ray Lewis, unlike a lot of people around here................but honestly, come on, he's been getting a free pass for like 5 years now. He facemaks, hits helmets-to-helmets just as much as our guys do and gets a pass almost every time. Yeah, he'll get the occasional hold and etc, but really...
As far as the Pro-Bowl selections is the same : He's been getting in on "name recognition" alone for quite some time now...there are, and has been, multiples of LB's who are playing way over his level.

Again, I like Lewis and his intensity, and i wish we could have some of that around here because we sure are sorely lacking any intensity on defense. But iv'e looked at Lewis almost like a defensive Brady or Manning. He gets away with murder on the field (no pun intended, of course...).
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post

Again, I like Lewis and his intensity, and i wish we could have some of that around here because we sure are sorely lacking any intensity on defense. But iv'e looked at Lewis almost like a defensive Brady or Manning. He gets away with murder on the field (no pun intended, of course...).
I agree, I love his intensity and what he brings to a defense. He holds every other player on that D accountable and leads by example. He's one of the better LB's I've seen, but I'm on the younger side as well and i wouldn't try to claim that he's one of the best ever.

He's definitely been on the down side of his career for the past few seasons.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #16
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
... lemme get this straight...

you've watched the game being played for all of 10 years, then you come onto a Steeler site, where many of us saw Jack Lambert (and Butkus and Nitschke before him) play, and tell us that Lewis is the best-ever in 92 years, like you are 'the authority'???

I question if you have 'discovered' the game YET

it might come as a surprise to you, but the game was played long before ESPN & twitter

you might want to look in a mirror and re-define 'ignorance of the game'
Yea, see, they invented a magical machine that can capture and replay those moving talkie pictures you've no doubt heard about. They call it the record-o-ma-box. This allows people born after 1920 to view 'highlights', or a collection of the film of a players best moments, even though he was not alive to see it and develop a subjective nostalgia for the era/players he grew up with!

And I am no authority, but I have every right to form an opinion--the numbers and the film say Lewis is better.

P.S. Twitter is steadily destroying the English language, and I despise it deep down into my bones. So please, you don't know me, don't be an ass.

Last edited by BleedPurple; 01-15-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #17
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I actually like Ray Lewis, unlike a lot of people around here................but honestly, come on, he's been getting a free pass for like 5 years now. He facemaks, hits helmets-to-helmets just as much as our guys do and gets a pass almost every time. Yeah, he'll get the occasional hold and etc, but really...
As far as the Pro-Bowl selections is the same : He's been getting in on "name recognition" alone for quite some time now...there are, and has been, multiples of LB's who are playing way over his level.

Not way over his level, but with better physical tools definitely. I still say he's a top 10 LB, if only for the intangibles he brings to the team. And yea, he makes the pro-bowl because he was the best in the league for so long, the position is given to him--he isn't the first person to earn a sort of 'honorary' invite to the pro-bowl. Also, even if I concede he has had a free pass for five years, he didn't have one the first decade he was playing.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I agree, I love his intensity and what he brings to a defense. He holds every other player on that D accountable and leads by example. He's one of the better LB's I've seen, but I'm on the younger side as well and i wouldn't try to claim that he's one of the best ever.

He's definitely been on the down side of his career for the past few seasons.
Yes. He has peaked and is in his last season (maybe one more). This is after sixteen years--time catches up with all of us eventually. Lewis is one of the best ever. 2000+ tackles, 31 INTs, 42 sacks (only MLB to ever reach 40 sacks and 30 ints by the way), superbowl MVP, 10x all pro (7 first team, 3 second team), 3x defensive player of the year.

I would really like to hear why you think he is not "one of the best ever". I can understand you might have an argument for a Butkus or a Singletary for #1, but name 10, heck 5 middle linebackers that had a better career than Ray--I'd say top 10 is "one of the best ever".
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
And I am no authority, but I have every right to form an opinion--the numbers and the film say Lewis is better.
a right to form an opinion (based-on numbers & film you've viewed on your record-o-ma-box), yes ~ the superiority to call others, who may've seen more of the game and witnessed others players live & in-person ignorant, no.

Keep discovering the game ~ you'll learn something yet
Old 01-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #20
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
a right to form an opinion (based-on numbers & film you've viewed on your record-o-ma-box), yes ~ the superiority to call others, who may've seen more of the game and witnessed others players live & in-person ignorant, no.

Keep discovering the game ~ you'll learn something yet
All I said was if you don't respect Lewis' game it shows ignorance. He is great at his position--don't we agree on that point? I said this in response to a poster who said Lewis was largely useless. Do you agree with that statement? Or would you say that is incorrect?