Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,140 Times in 543 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default My first Mock Draft

1. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama - I personally like Vontaze Burfict better but this past season raised a lot of questions and red flags about his attitude and focus that make him more of a risk and would steer a conservative front office like ours away from him. Hightower finished the season with a great performance in the National Championship and was the leader of the #1 defense in the NCAA. He could split time with Foote (or Farrior if he doesn't retire) until he learns the defense and should solidify our LB corps as elite for years to come.

2. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington -Ta'amu was once a late first round pick (in fact a lot of people were projecting him as our first round pick when they had us picking 32nd) but had a bad bowl game and could fall to us here. He's a better prospect (#2 NT in the draft) than any offensive lineman still on the board at this point and would replace Hampton sooner rather than later.

3. Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State - Brewster is a good center who could transition to playing guard on our team and would make a better backup to Pouncey when he gets injured than Legursky or Essex.

4. Levy Adco.ck, OT, Oklahoma State - Max Starks might not be ready to start the season with an ACL injury, and we need somebody besides Jonathan Scott to be an option at LT

5. Case Keenum, QB, Houston - Charlie Batch is about to retire any year now, Dixon's not gonna resign in Pittsburgh, and Leftwich is...Leftwich.

6. Chris Rainey, RB, Florida - The only reason I'm drafting a RB is because Rainey has some serious speed, which we really lack in the backfield. Mendenhall is gone in 2013 if not traded in 2012, Moore will be gone soon, Redman will take over, Batch will backup, Clay or Dwyer can still remain as big, powerful backs, but there's nobody particularly fast who can contribute. Rainey can do that.

7. Greg Mccoy, CB, TCU - We don't really need a CB early in this draft, Ike and even Gay are now capable starters, Lewis was okay at nickel, Curits Brown and Cortez Allen are learning and show a lot of potential. We'll need to draft a CB early again soon, because I don't believe Allen or Brown will be able to take over as a shutdown #1 corner but rather as solid #2 or nickel guys, but this is not the year to look for that #1 guy. Anyway, really only mocked Mccoy because you can never have enough depth at CB.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,433 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: My first Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
1. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama - I personally like Vontaze Burfict better but this past season raised a lot of questions and red flags about his attitude and focus that make him more of a risk and would steer a conservative front office like ours away from him. Hightower finished the season with a great performance in the National Championship and was the leader of the #1 defense in the NCAA. He could split time with Foote (or Farrior if he doesn't retire) until he learns the defense and should solidify our LB corps as elite for years to come.

2. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington -Ta'amu was once a late first round pick (in fact a lot of people were projecting him as our first round pick when they had us picking 32nd) but had a bad bowl game and could fall to us here. He's a better prospect (#2 NT in the draft) than any offensive lineman still on the board at this point and would replace Hampton sooner rather than later.

3. Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State - Brewster is a good center who could transition to playing guard on our team and would make a better backup to Pouncey when he gets injured than Legursky or Essex.

4. Levy Adco.ck, OT, Oklahoma State - Max Starks might not be ready to start the season with an ACL injury, and we need somebody besides Jonathan Scott to be an option at LT

5. Case Keenum, QB, Houston - Charlie Batch is about to retire any year now, Dixon's not gonna resign in Pittsburgh, and Leftwich is...Leftwich.

6. Chris Rainey, RB, Florida - The only reason I'm drafting a RB is because Rainey has some serious speed, which we really lack in the backfield. Mendenhall is gone in 2013 if not traded in 2012, Moore will be gone soon, Redman will take over, Batch will backup, Clay or Dwyer can still remain as big, powerful backs, but there's nobody particularly fast who can contribute. Rainey can do that.

7. Greg Mccoy, CB, TCU - We don't really need a CB early in this draft, Ike and even Gay are now capable starters, Lewis was okay at nickel, Curits Brown and Cortez Allen are learning and show a lot of potential. We'll need to draft a CB early again soon, because I don't believe Allen or Brown will be able to take over as a shutdown #1 corner but rather as solid #2 or nickel guys, but this is not the year to look for that #1 guy. Anyway, really only mocked Mccoy because you can never have enough depth at CB.
I like the mock draft but only thing that worrys me about Dont'a Hightower is his lack of sideline to sideline speed cause he gets bured badly if a running back gets to the sideline...but i would like a late round safety but good all around mock draft.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I like Ta'amu and would live to get him in the 2nd round but I don't see him being there unless he has a bad combine. If we feel he will be gone I would take Poe round 1
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
FireOmarTomlin
Water Boy

Member Number: 20662

like Taamu, Mccoy, hate the rest

you have the red flags on Burfict, but there's no place better for him to cool down. Hightower is too slow to play in Lebeaus system (he'd be a mirror of current slow-old-man-farrior)

you also have the WRONG florida gator

Steelers need to take a risk on Demps as a replacement for Moore, KR/PR, and general spread-set WR in Demps . take him in the 4th
FireOmarTomlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

Demps runs a 4.2 40yd dash. He's smaller kinda reminds me of a young sproles. He could be used as a returner and could be a change of pace back and a mismatch for any defender coming out of the backfield
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
FireOmarTomlin
Water Boy

Member Number: 20662

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburhans View Post
Demps runs a 4.2 40yd dash. He's smaller kinda reminds me of a young sproles. He could be used as a returner and could be a change of pace back and a mismatch for any defender coming out of the backfield

Exactly. He is Sproles2.0
FireOmarTomlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

I love 4 of the 7 picks in this mock draft, hightower, ta'amu, brewster, and ad**** are great picks and they all fill needs. Each of these guys were some of the top players on their own team as well. Hightower not only fills a need, it keeps us from having to draft an ILB for a very long time as well. Ta'Amu can compete with either hood or heyward for the starting NT spot because I definitely feel that with Hampton hurt the team will go their separate ways with him and one of those two guys can step in at his spot. Brewster may not be able to come in immediately and compete for a job, but he definitely will be on the roster for the whole year and can become a great back up. ad**** might always be a backup guy but that is the thing that the steelers love most in their lineman. I am not too sure that the steelers will be taking a QB in this draft or anytime soon. The QB position is loaded this year in the FA's so i think we can pick up a valuable backup or two. And also taking a RB this year will not be an option because I really feel that M.Moore will be back next year and with Mendenhall hurt we have 3 viable RB options and plus the addition of B.Batch next year can really help us. WR N. Toon maybe a good pick for us if Ward was going to retire, but its not a position of need and he wont be the best available at the time. Good mock though and it most likely could happen.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I'm seeing a disturbing number of mocks around the web predicting CB for us at #24. Reading the commentary for these picks, however, leads me to believe that these guys have been copying and pasting their picks for over a year. Like 2011 never happened, we didn't have the top pass D, and we didn't get any younger at corner with our last draft.

I still say guard, then NT, then ILB, then guard again and a QB shortly thereafter.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

I still say guard, then NT, then ILB, then guard again and a QB shortly thereafter.[/QUOTE]

I agree with staying at NT for our first round pick. The reason why is because OL has so much depth in this years draft and really our only need on the line is both OG spots. Gilber and Colon will be our OT's next year and we can sign good backups this offseason. I would definitely go ILB for the second round because the depth is not there and if we don't get one in the 2nd then we wont get one at all. One guy I really like is Travis Lewis from Oklahoma, he played OLB for them, but we can play all 4 LB positions and he is so smart and was a 3 year captain. He is projected to be a mid-2nd to mid-3rd pick. For the rest of the draft I feel we need to draft for secondary depth and both line depth.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

For those that want Demps, he's not playing football yet! He is trying out for the olympics!