Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Playoffs format sucks

I don't like the format of the playoffs.
16 games of regular season vs a max of 3 playoff games for some teams and only 2 for the others is a joke.
I'd like to see the top 6 teams per conference playing each other and the 2 teams with the max number of pts (3 for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss) go to the SB. Oh and no more overtime. If the 2 teams are tied, they get 1 point each.
We could have the same pts system during the regular season. No more weak division champs making the playoffs when teams with a higher % don't make it.
This would create 5 weeks of playoffs after a general bye week at the end of the regular season.
The SB would be played at the end of Feb which is not. a bad period IMO.

The League and the owners want to increase the number of games? This is one solution and there will be more $$$ generated.

Whatcha think?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Playoffs format sucks

Im ok with it as is providing we get the bye. At least we get to week 2 in the playoff, LOL Dollars generated to owners is minimal at best in the grand scheme of things, unless th enetworks anti up more for the extra rounds

I do feel that record should dictate rankings and home field not a division winner. Denver in any world should not have played at home after having an 8-8 season. That should be changed as that is purely by luck, not winning games that they get home field.

Ot games, IMO not because we lost. Each team should get the ball, no matter what. They won;t change it during the reg season as the games run late enough as it is and plays havoc on the TV networks.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

The only way I forsee the playoff system changing is to add more teams. More teams, equals more games, equals more chances for King Goodell to fine people.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Im ok with it as is providing we get the bye. At least we get to week 2 in the playoff, LOL Dollars generated to owners is minimal at best in the grand scheme of things, unless th enetworks anti up more for the extra rounds

I do feel that record should dictate rankings and home field not a division winner. Denver in any world should not have played at home after having an 8-8 season. That should be changed as that is purely by luck, not winning games that they get home field.

Ot games, IMO not because we lost. Each team should get the ball, no matter what. They won;t change it during the reg season as the games run late enough as it is and plays havoc on the TV networks.
The thing is a tie is possible during the regular season so why have a different format for the playoffs? It doesn't make any sense. My position has nothing to do with the Steelers loss to Denver in OT. Using my format, both Denver and the Steelers would have earned 1pt, going into their 2nd game of the playoffs. We'd be 2pts behind the teams having won their 1st game and 1pt ahead of the losers in the 1st game.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
The only way I forsee the playoff system changing is to add more teams. More teams, equals more games, equals more chances for King Goodell to fine people.
More teams won't mean more games for each team, just more games in total. Say you add 8 teams, that's 4 in the NFC and 4 in the AFC. So now you have 2 more division winners and 2 less wild card teams. Nothing changes in terms of number of games per team, neither during the reg season nor during the playoffs.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

They have 8-8 teams getting in now, lol. Do we need 7-9 teams some how getting a home game over a 12-4 team?LOL
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
They have 8-8 teams getting in now, lol. Do we need 7-9 teams some how getting a home game over a 12-4 team?LOL
If you use a system of points, 3pts for a win, 1pt for a tie and 0pt for a loss, there's no way a 7-9 team would make it and not a 12-4 team. The first would have 21pts and the second 36pts.
It works in the NHL and you don't see bottom feeders in the playoffs.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,804 Posts

thats the only problem i have with the current format. i don't think a team with less than a 9-7 record should be eligible for the playoffs. division winner or not.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Bill Cowher's Jaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18472

I think there should be two 6-team divisions in each conference. The two division champions get the first round byes and then there's 4 wildcards that are seeded 3-6 by record and tiebreakers. This would pretty much eliminate the thought of crappy 8-8 or 7-9 division champions.
Bill Cowher's Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I'm not for it the points system at all, but the minimum record should be 9-7, division winner or not, that needs to be changed NOW.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote