Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Default Re: But is it Too Late to Fix Ben ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Take 10 tackling dummies, paint numbers on them and stand them up in different spots downfield. Have Ben take ghost snaps and drop back. As soon as he sets his feet, have someone call out a number, Ben throws at the number of the dummy called out. It teachs you to throw with accuracy on rhythm.

Elway didn't change his game until he lost his mobility due to injury. He was forced to become a rhythm passer. He was already accurate because he was a baseball pitcher.

If Ben does the above drill, WHICH IS A DRILL THAT I TEACH- he will improve his vision, increase his accuracy, and make faster decisions.
The Pittsburgh sports complex has this exact drill area setup, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's already done this several times. But you are absolutely right. I'm a quarterback, and it does help tremendously.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
What is there to fix?

You know, the Rooney's weren't blind when they picked Ben.

They knew what they were getting and from the first time he touched the ball right up to now, Ben has always been a scrambler and has always done his thing, so why does he now need to be "fixed"?

He's been at this now going into his eighth season and he is who he is.
Trying to change anything in him now is a waste of time and could actually do more harm than good.
If the Rooney's don't like that, they can always point him towards the door.
You say more than you know. He has been in the league for 8 years, and has been allowed to stagnate and then digress for 6 of them. His first 2 years in the NFL resisted being pushed to develop, as if somehow just being Ben Roethlisberger entitled him to league leading stats and points on the scoreboard.

While I can't prove it, it seems quite likely to me that Ben had too much influence in letting the HC candidate who took the Arizona Cardinals, (yes I know it was just once, but look at the organization), to the Superbowl go to Arizona, specifically because he expected some development from the diva.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
You say more than you know. He has been in the league for 8 years, and has been allowed to stagnate and then digress for 6 of them. His first 2 years in the NFL resisted being pushed to develop, as if somehow just being Ben Roethlisberger entitled him to league leading stats and points on the scoreboard.

While I can't prove it, it seems quite likely to me that Ben had too much influence in letting the HC candidate who took the Arizona Cardinals, (yes I know it was just once, but look at the organization), to the Superbowl go to Arizona, specifically because he expected some development from the diva.

Let's say that you're right (and you may very well be).

It STILL falls on the Rooney's shoulders to understand that they accepted Ben with all of his flaws and if he's a diva who doesn't want to listen or learn then it was THEIR job to identify those traits just as they identified his ability to throw a football.

When they took Ben, they took the whole package and whatever he has or hasn't been allowed to do is THEIR responsibility.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Ben is not gifted enough to avoid practicing and certainly not fit enough to not hit the gym.
Pro golfers, even the top ones, work on their game and physical condition consistently, and there's nobody who hit them on the golf course.

Scrambling is one thing but Ben's not even remotely close to being the best at it. How many rushing yds and TDs did he get the last 3 years? How many times has he been sacked the last 3 years?. Great scramblers don't get pounded week in and week out. like Ben does.
I didn't say Ben is a "great" anything.

He LIKES to move around and to a large extent I think he actually needs to in order to see the field better.
That doesn't make him particularly good at it, it just means that it's the way he likes to play.

He also has a weak arm as pro QB's go and has no long ball. But he has a tremendous amount of drive and creativity and he has the ability to make something out of nothing.
He also has a knack for winning games in the fourth quarter and for turning circumstances that look bad into improbable good fortune and that's why he's here.

Maybe it's true that he could use some more time in a workout room or that maybe he could spend more time throwing a football, but I think it's a little late in the game to be pointing that out, don't you?

He's going to turn 30 this year and he's entering the latter part of his career and considering that he's spent the previous twenty years developing into who he is, I doubt that much could be changed even if he or others had the inclination to try.

He is who he is and frankly, I think he's still one of the best as well as one of the most underrated QB's out there and I personally wouldn't change a thing.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,677 Posts

"fix" ben?

do you mean get him neutered?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,504 Times in 788 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"fix" ben?

FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"fix" ben?

Ohh no...Has the little fella been hanging around the club bathroom's again?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Do we need to fix BEN??? wow a 2 time SB champion thats in the middle of breaking every record in the Steelers book.. A probowl QB? come on guys get real here.. some of you are suggesting drills he should do lol... come on..

Im sure he has done every drill invented.. as well has worked on every type of foot work drill you can do.. These guys are NFL QB's.. and lets get one thing straight BEN is one of the better ones of all time... Yes his style of play is different at times but facts are facts BEN has had huge success and im not talking about just in the win dept.. His Stats have been among the top in the league for years..

Anyway this move is about scheme and matchups.. something BA couldnt do.. BEN won with talent mostly his own. We never get machups guys.. We never seem to lock Heath on a LB or get alot of one on ones for Brown or Wallace. We have talent out of the ass at many different spots on this team and we just keep running the same basic stuff.

Yes BEN throwing some on time would be good.. but having your first read open every now and then should not be to hard to do.. We drop back read 1 and 2 is covered so BEN plays school yard ball.

make no mistake about it BEN can get better in the pocket and throwing on time but to suggest is it to late for BEN is plain out crazy. BEN is great and one of few with 2 SUPERBOWL's... dont give me this team or D won them for him shit either.. BEN made huge plays all year long in each of those superbowls that got us there and helped us win them.

This move is about bringing in a guy that will out coach another team from time to time and not just hope your QB makes a school yard play to win it for you
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Winning more and more, leading more and more come backs, winning more playoff games and SB's, that's stagnate or digressing? Obvious troll or ratbird fan.

Fact of the matter is Ben is a top 5 QB and us Steelers fans should consider ourselves lucky. There's very little to fix. He needs to practice more, I don't mean throwing passes in Latrobe, I mean game film study. That would cut down on his interceptions. He can throw the slant pass that we all want to see just fine, go watch the game against the pats this year, but if we don't call it he won't throw it, that's not on him. It's hard to throw the ball sooner when you are waiting for your receivers to run their long bombs and when you have to take your eyes off the down field picture to see where your line has broken and run away from it. Yes he could release it earlier SOMETIMES, yes he could get a bit better throwing the long bomb, but the bottom line is he's one of the best in the game right now, this team would be nowhere without him, and nobody is perfect. There is room for improvement with every body. You don't hear pats fans whining about Brady not throwing that well on the run or doing poor under pressure. Yet so many of us pick on Ben's few, and often far between, short comings. EVERYBODY has room for improvement and nobody will achieve perfection, there are 32 starting QB's in the NFL and our guy is better then at least 27 or them.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

I don't know about "fixing" him but I would like to prolong his career though. If that involves changing his style so be it. The hits he is taking are doing nothing for his longevity.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote