Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #41
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448
Default Re: Rooney wants old Steelers offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I don't want to argue about Arians anymore other than to say that although he may not have been the ideal OC for this team, his ideas about opening up the passing game were not wrong.

You're absolutely right that balance is what it's all about.
But to install a running game as the main event when we have a boatload of receiving talent and a QB who loves to throw would be nothing short of ridiculous.
I disagree, a running game is exactly what you instill when you have such a talented core of WR's and a QB who can throw it to them. If you look around the league the only team that has managed to keep a solid O-line AND have talented receivers has been green bay. Every other team it's been a trade-off. SF has a great O-line and ehhh receivers and yet they still were able to make it to the NFCCG off of frank gore and a pass catching TE. Giants, also have a good O-LINE and until recently unknown WR's. No big names (although they certainly are making a name for themselves ala brown and wallace did) Patriots have a great O-line and have 1 WR worth a shit and 2 good TE's. We have a POOR (and I'm being generous) O-line and our bursting with talent at WR. We NEED a running game to open up the passing game. If we can bring a safety in the box consistently to stop the run our WR's get a chance to be man2man which is a WIN all day. Being a passing team opens up all sorts of problems if your QB is being pressured, bad throws, fumbles, sacks, picks, etc... pretty much what we've seen ALL season. Starting last year in the SB. We tried playing GB's game and we didn't have the O-line to do it, they did.

I'd rather the WR's take a hit in numbers and stats as long as their stat sheet at the end of the day has TD's on it. Brown, wallace, and sanders have take it to the house speed. Lets take advantage of it and put them in a system that play action will actually mean something, and they'll be able to get their opportunities to showcase their talents. Makes sense to me
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

For one time I hope rooney doesnt get his way????? I would like to have a little more balance kind of like we had with Whiz here... but make no mistake about it we threw the ball to open up the run the superbowl year 2005--06/// If we take our talent and try to run the ball 25 to 30 times then we will lose and lose our ass..BEN is one of the best QB in the league. I agree we and he should is not the saints but that doesnt mean we should go to all running.. We have a wr core that is unstoppable if used correct.. lets get balance and put some waggles, in the O.. but please oh please do not run run pass... If you run run pass you will kill this team. Let BEN take us where we need to go and have the running game complement the passing game..

At this time we cant run at all.. so add a fullback and some new plays and see what happens... but no matter what do not run run pass
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #43
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
For one time I hope rooney doesnt get his way????? I would like to have a little more balance kind of like we had with Whiz here... but make no mistake about it we threw the ball to open up the run the superbowl year 2005--06/// If we take our talent and try to run the ball 25 to 30 times then we will lose and lose our ass..BEN is one of the best QB in the league. I agree we and he should is not the saints but that doesnt mean we should go to all running.. We have a wr core that is unstoppable if used correct.. lets get balance and put some waggles, in the O.. but please oh please do not run run pass... If you run run pass you will kill this team. Let BEN take us where we need to go and have the running game complement the passing game..

At this time we cant run at all.. so add a fullback and some new plays and see what happens... but no matter what do not run run pass
Whiz did exactly what your saying you don't want. He did do that in the playoffs and I think arians tried to incorporate that in his offensive philosophy and that is clearly not working for this team now. You forget in 2005-6 we had a pretty DECENT O-line. For what we have right now, and who we are likely to have next year, running the ball and being more creative like whiz. Running the ball will open up the pass just like it did for whiz. The o-line this year was probably the worst it has been since 2005, my god we had jonathan scott and trai essex starting at one point. Yet, even with the poor o-line we had one of the better years running the ball with an idiot calling the plays. Redman is a viable back for us, mendy was playing his best ball when he got hurt. I for one LOVE seeing them run an entire series and end with a TD without throwing a single pass. We did that a couple times this year. We need to try and replicate that success and be able to spring those talented WR's off play action or bubble screens But seriously, it wasn't a bad playcall a lot of times, just not so gosh darn many!
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #44
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

All i can really hope for is runners like the rams steven jackson or frank gore!! Foster from the texans isn't too shabby either!! I really don't belive we have the runner to really scare teams with our running game!! redman looks promising!! To become a team that will put fear we really need a stud as a runner and obviously some help on the oline!! Then watch out!! Ben with a real threat of a running game and all of his weapons!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #45
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
All i can really hope for is runners like the rams steven jackson or frank gore!! Foster from the texans isn't too shabby either!! I really don't belive we have the runner to really scare teams with our running game!! redman looks promising!! To become a team that will put fear we really need a stud as a runner and obviously some help on the oline!! Then watch out!! Ben with a real threat of a running game and all of his weapons!!
So what would you do if we don't get a runner like that? Because players like that are ... um ... rare.

since we can't count on a RB like that - we must learn to win even if we don't have the superstud RB. Look at the current SB teams - Giants and NE - neither have a super stud at RB - but both teams have elite passing games. Giants passed 64 times yesterday - would Art Rooney be ok with that?

I would like the Steelers to continue what they started ... a pass first offense. Ben needs to be a better passer and not take so many sacks by trying to extend the play. He needs to rely on the speed of the WR and if he places the passes accurately - our WRs have the talent to "EXTEND the play."
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #46
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
With the Rooneys basically pushing the run,, dont be surprised if Wallace signs an offer sheet elsewhere.
Pats could easy blow late 1st round picks on him n a ton of cash.

We fo not have the rbs or oline to be a running team, nor the cash to bring in players.
I've been saying forever that Wallace is gone (although his mid-season swoon might actually keep him here... maybe) but that has nothing to do with what kind of offense we want to run. The Steelers have resigned only two star receivers since Swann and Stallworth. Two.

As far as us not having the running backs nor the offensive line to be a running team... We have one of the best stables of backs in the league, and the O-line isn't built for passing either, yet somehow we did that.

I think most of the posters here have the basic idea: it's not so much the yards that matter as the points. Red zone offense has been despicable, and I swear the goal line plays were purposely sabotaged. Can't say why, but it was ridiculous.

By the way, I agree with Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot that ESPN is making a huge leap in logic in its assumption that Art wants to shift to the running game of decades past. Art wants results, and five years in the bottom half of the league in scoring is not going to cut it with him.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #47
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

As far as us not having the running backs nor the offensive line to be a running team... We have one of the best stables of backs in the league, and the O-line isn't built for passing either, yet somehow we did that.
.[/QUOTE]

A bad line can still produce with the right QB, evident with what Ben has done in the past. Yet even the best RB cannot run if no where to go.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #48
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

You play with your strength. When the team has an elite QB, Brown, Wallace and Sanders, they should be a passing team. It doesn't mean that the Steelers should dump the running game. But the running game should be aimed at opening up the passing plays. They don't need to run more. They need a better O-line to make the running game more efficient and to give Ben time to throw.

However, I'm not against getting back a FB instead of playing 2 TEs formation. We just don't have two good TEs.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #49
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

I love a strong running game like we had during most of Bettis' career. But man do we have great receivers now. Running the ball effectively will absolutely help. But it isn't the only way. I keep thinking our offense is like the golfer that spends most of his time at the driving range rather that practicing chipping and putting. We have no short game, or at least it was never done well. weather it is short passes or running, our short game sucks.

Drive for show putt for dough! I don't care how they get down field, but when the field shrinks, constantly kicking field goals ain't gona cut it.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,722 Times in 2,229 Posts
My Mood: Fine

A well prepared, thought out offense as featured in last year's AFC Champ game v. Jets is exactly what this team needs to be.

The healthy combo of Mendy, Redman with a healthy O-line is very capable of going buck wild over the stoutest of defenses. No - that does not mean 3 yards and a cloud of dust - but in the right situations - the running game is in order so that the defense respects it enough to set up some huge plays to the WRs. That offense that day (along with the offense against the Pats this season) looked like a team that could beat anyone, anywhere, on the biggest of stages.

More of that, and this team will steamroll anyone. Go back and watch highlights from that game. THAT Steelers team on THAT day beats the XLVI SB contenders like a bad habit

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote