Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Arians says he was forced to retire

I think the fact that he was never in demand for a OC Job after being fired by Cleveland, and chooses to retire speaks volumes
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

If he was in the second year of a four year deal, and the Steelers decided to let him go, then yeah, that's being fired. He was on a one year deal, that expired. The opportunity to fire him elapsed at that exact point in time. They decided not to re-sign.

I know it's really semantics, I just don't like the fact that the word is being bandied about like the Steelers somehow wronged Arians here, and I wish people would just stop it.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,299 Posts

Not renewing his contract is in all intense purposes is the same as being shit canned. Yesterday he had a job, today he doesn't and his position with the team is being filled by someone else hopefully more qualified. Fired, released, let go, it's all the same.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,922 Times in 989 Posts
My Mood: Cool

[QUOTE=Boomer;988877]So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didnít get one single interview. And this year he gets fired, claims that 5 or 6 teams are interested but instead retires and will wait to see if anyone hires him? Yeah, OK Bruce. Whatever you say.

It appears that BA has much more talent as a "spin doctor" than as a creative and competent OC
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,032 Times in 3,360 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But of course that was due to age discrimination rather than any shortcomings on the part of Bruce

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said."But I'd put my record up against any of them."
maybe that's why he's getting passed up, he's putting his 20-40 collegiate HC record against everyone else, which might be the only coach/assistant in the NFL who couldnt even break 33% as a college coach
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I gave this some thought...

Does anyone else wonder why the guy never adapted or changed? When things weren't working he never deviated from the current offense.

I mean he coached like he didn't have a care in the world. If I thought I was on the hot seat, I would have been trying like hell to fix the red zone offense and get the wheels back on a "short game". It's like a guy in a blue color trade doing half ass work and showing up late for every day and then being pissed he's laid off.

Obviously no other team wanted him, so at what point do you say "ok time to get my shit together". If he could have got the offense more balanced and less predictable I would have been glad to keep him, for Ben's sake.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,742 Times in 2,242 Posts
My Mood: Fine

you can be as contrary about my comments as you want - the fact is - you can't apply a broad stroke to any employment situation - call it what you want - but "fired" is not a sexy word - it is the situation and being fired doesn't equate to a severance package in every single situation. Yes - his contract wasn't renewed - so in essence you can call him an intermittent employee - employed by contract for a duration of time - and they no longer wish to renew the contract.

As far as Ben is concerned - while as a fan I appreciate everything he's done to make the team a winner - this isn't the first time he's felt the need to voice his opinion towards/about a a coach and frankly because of his off field antics - from one fan's perspective he really should just say no comment and move on. I'm not going to go over Ben's history and boorish behavior. I just ask to take the homer blinders off - Ben is routinely a great player - but a jerk at the same time.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

I agree with the posts saying he wasn't fired...his contract simply had expired and was not renewed....Thinking the other way makes me believe former players such as Burress, and ..now I"m drawing a blank....but any players who signed in free agency elsewhere were not fired were they? Contract expired, we chose to not bring him back....NOT fired.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,742 Times in 2,242 Posts
My Mood: Fine

not renewed, fired, let go . . .what does it matter - the guy is no longer the Steeler OC and however you say it - they did not want him back for another season. In the nicest way possible - they fired him.

Rooney: Bruce - we're not renewing your contract.

Bruce: So what if I say I don't want to retire.

Rooney: Well I'm trying to give you an out here so I don't actually have to say it.

Bruce: Oh yea - ok - I'm "retired" then

Rooney: Yes - we don't want you back - exactly.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
I gave this some thought...

Does anyone else wonder why the guy never adapted or changed? When things weren't working he never deviated from the current offense.

I mean he coached like he didn't have a care in the world. If I thought I was on the hot seat, I would have been trying like hell to fix the red zone offense and get the wheels back on a "short game". It's like a guy in a blue color trade doing half ass work and showing up late for every day and then being pissed he's laid off.

Obviously no other team wanted him, so at what point do you say "ok time to get my shit together". If he could have got the offense more balanced and less predictable I would have been glad to keep him, for Ben's sake.
Same reason why Mike Martz, Gregg Williams and several other coaches continue to have egos so large that hey refuse to change or adapt even though it could cost their teams wins. Arians is no different. I would have fired him soley from those idiotic bubble screens. Even after Suggs snuffed it and other teams pretty much rendered it useless, he continued to call it. Stubborn ass.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote