Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574
Default Re: Arians says he was forced to retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
not renewed, fired, let go . . .what does it matter - the guy is no longer the Steeler OC and however you say it - they did not want him back for another season. In the nicest way possible - they fired him.

Rooney: Bruce - we're not renewing your contract.

Bruce: So what if I say I don't want to retire.

Rooney: Well I'm trying to give you an out here so I don't actually have to say it.

Bruce: Oh yea - ok - I'm "retired" then

Rooney: Yes - we don't want you back - exactly.
To be fired or let go, one would have to be under the employment of said company. When you allow somebody to work through the end of a contract, there is no firing, because the terms of the contract have been met timewise. Both parties are free to walk away with no further obligation to the other side. Bruce was no longer an employee of the Steelers the second the Denver game ended. His contract expired, making him unemployed at that point. He was unemployed before ARII flexed his muscles and informed he woudln't be returning for a new contract. By not renewing his contract, the Steelers effectively chose to allow him to remain unemployed rather that bring him back, to pursue employment elsewhere. We'll see how that works out for him. He doesn't have to retire, the Steelers just said that to help him save face. But, why would he retire if he had other options on the table? By saying the Steelers forced him to retire, he's basically saying nobody else will hire his bum ass.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

I bet if we were in the top 10 to 12 in scoring TDs he would have kept his job instead we were 21st out of 32 teams and it was a direct cause of us not making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Arians offense has always been suspect. Ben loving the guy doesn't mean shit when you consider that every year games were close against bottom dwellers that we should have destroyed but BA and his game plans made them dog fights. This year there were plenty of games we should have dominated and instead were made to eek out a win. (Colts game, Browns, KC,) Its a repeating pattern and has been all along.

Glad the guy is gone hope they pick someone good to replace him.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
I bet if we were in the top 10 to 12 in scoring TDs he would have kept his job instead we were 21st out of 32 teams and it was a direct cause of us not making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Arians offense has always been suspect. Ben loving the guy doesn't mean shit when you consider that every year games were close against bottom dwellers that we should have destroyed but BA and his game plans made them dog fights. This year there were plenty of games we should have dominated and instead were made to eek out a win. (Colts game, Browns, KC,) Its a repeating pattern and has been all along.

Glad the guy is gone hope they pick someone good to replace him.
Bingo...

also working up a game plan that nets 20 points against the Cardinals in the SB, and then gives up 3 Turnovers in the SB against the Packers isn't a "shining" moment for his resume. Maybe a Fullback wouldn't have missed the block Johnson missed on the Mendenhall fumble? Maybe? Just maybe a Philosophical difference wouldn't have our QB throwing a deep ball from his own endzone after pumping into double coverage...maybe our QB will have his eyes opened to the fact that sometimes, you need to check down to the Open Guy and not force the ball.

maybe next year the FG Kicker won't be the team's leading scorer, considering he can't hit from outside 45 yards!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
I gave this some thought...

Does anyone else wonder why the guy never adapted or changed? When things weren't working he never deviated from the current offense.

I mean he coached like he didn't have a care in the world. If I thought I was on the hot seat, I would have been trying like hell to fix the red zone offense and get the wheels back on a "short game". It's like a guy in a blue color trade doing half ass work and showing up late for every day and then being pissed he's laid off.

Obviously no other team wanted him, so at what point do you say "ok time to get my shit together". If he could have got the offense more balanced and less predictable I would have been glad to keep him, for Ben's sake.
Excellent point and if I thought I was on the hot seat and the CEO of the company wanted to move in a certain direction I'd damn well move in that direction. Airhead didn't so he has only himself to blame. His massive ego and stubbornness as well as his incompetence brought about his downfall.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

He didn't preform, he got the boot, simple as that
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
He didn't preform, he got the boot, simple as that
And now he is all butt hurt over it. What a loser. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would have realized he wasn't that popular with management based on the length of the last contract offered to him. I seem remember that it was only one year but I could be wrong about that.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #27
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Who cares about the semantics of whether he retired or was fired. He is gone and that is what really matters. DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD.

This should put whoever takes over for Airhead that they need to change it up from what it has been. Even if they recruit from inside. QUIT DOING EMPTY BACKFIELD SETS ON THIRD AND SHORT IN THE RED ZONE AND GETTING BEN SACKED MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. Pretty simple really.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
And now he is all butt hurt over it. What a loser. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would have realized he wasn't that popular with management based on the length of the last contract offered to him. I seem remember that it was only one year but I could be wrong about that.
I don't comprehend what the man doesn't get. He didn't listen to management, and it's almost like he was daring them to fire him. When they tell you to use the run game more, use the damn run game. It's not like the management was telling him to run more just because, it's because we NEEDED to.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,828 Posts

Peter King was on Atlanta sports talk this evening and when asked about the Steelers front office canning of Arians said the front office was dissatisfied with the lack of imagination in the passing game (bubble screen anyone?) and failure to better utilize a talented receiving corps.

Arians blames it on everyone (the spin about not getting HC interviews because of his age is a new one but telling) but himself

Good riddance
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #30
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Arians blames it on everyone (the spin about not getting HC interviews because of his age is a new one but telling) but himself
Maybe him allowing Ben to walk all over him might have caused his lack of HC interviews. It doesn't exactly look good when you let a player walk all over you.