Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default What about next year????

With Arians canned and the promise of a new and improved offense, either run heavy or innovative passing or a mix. With the promise of a new coach and new look, maybe even a true fullback. Hopefully resigning key players such as Wallace, Crotchery, and goodbye to an old friend Hines. The offense has been the talk of this past two weeks, but I would like to steer the conversation to the Defense..

We have an old and slow defense. Wait, did not mean that entirely. Yes we are old in places and expect to lose some old faces from this squad. Snack, Hoke, Farrior, McFadden likely all gone. Kiesel, Clark, Foote, Harrison, even Troy on the wrong side of 30. players like Woodley and Timmons who sometimes can disappear during a game.

Ziggy has come along as has Worilds to an extent, Heyward show promise. The young guys in the secondary have not impressed me but could be serviceable. I have contended on this and other boards that I am really more worried about next years version of defense than I am the offense. I mean did anyone other than me come away impressed with the 49ers, Giants, Ravens, and even the Patriots front pressure on the QB. BTW I ranked them in order of how I was impressed.

And furthermore does anyone believe our O-Line was as good as any of those mentioned. Just think what Ben would of faced from any of those guys. Your thoughts on next years Defense.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651
Default Re: What about next year????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
With Arians canned and the promise of a new and improved offense, either run heavy or innovative passing or a mix. With the promise of a new coach and new look, maybe even a true fullback. Hopefully resigning key players such as Wallace, Crotchery, and goodbye to an old friend Hines. The offense has been the talk of this past two weeks, but I would like to steer the conversation to the Defense..

We have an old and slow defense. Wait, did not mean that entirely. Yes we are old in places and expect to lose some old faces from this squad. Snack, Hoke, Farrior, McFadden likely all gone. Kiesel, Clark, Foote, Harrison, even Troy on the wrong side of 30. players like Woodley and Timmons who sometimes can disappear during a game.

Ziggy has come along as has Worilds to an extent, Heyward show promise. The young guys in the secondary have not impressed me but could be serviceable. I have contended on this and other boards that I am really more worried about next years version of defense than I am the offense. I mean did anyone other than me come away impressed with the 49ers, Giants, Ravens, and even the Patriots front pressure on the QB. BTW I ranked them in order of how I was impressed.

And furthermore does anyone believe our O-Line was as good as any of those mentioned. Just think what Ben would of faced from any of those guys. Your thoughts on next years Defense.
The Steelers secondary was steller last year, the pass rushing on the other hand was hurst wiht injuries, and old age on the line. I do think that the steelers need to focus some on the defensive line, esecially someone to replace Hampton, who might be on the way out.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We have not gotten steady inside pass rush for a long time. We need to get Heyward on the field next year. I think he will turn into a force!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
The Steelers secondary was steller last year, the pass rushing on the other hand was hurst wiht injuries, and old age on the line. I do think that the steelers need to focus some on the defensive line, esecially someone to replace Hampton, who might be on the way out.
I also think that we should shore up the D Front. The D Backfield suffers when the line gets no pressure on the QB. Our D backs had to compensate for the weaknesses of the D Line. We should be alright with some mending and reinforcement.

Last edited by zcoop; 01-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

i dont believe in the "wrong side of 30" myth.

some people want players replaced just because they are 30 no matter how productive they are.

our secondary will be better and deeper with age and our olb's will be back healthy and at full force. youth infusion along the line.

im not gonna sit here and rip every single member of the best defense in the league.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im not gonna sit here and rip every single member of the best defense in the league.
Don't worry - there are other posters to carry the load for that
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

how long before Fire Lebeau joins?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

lol, Rip Dick? I dont see that happening. But Dick better stiffen up that D on the pass rush next year, they were a little flaccid. lol

If Arians could be let go due to not meeting the Rooneys Status Quo on offense, Dick could leave prematurely as well.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
lol, Rip Dick? I dont see that happening. But Dick better stiffen up that D on the pass rush next year, they were a little flaccid. lol
i know what you mean, but still
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,923 Times in 990 Posts
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post

Inside linebacker = 1st need
D-Line = 2nd need
But both are behind our first overall need = O-line

I was thinking the same thing, there was no way our O-line would have held their own against ANY of those pass rushing fronts (maybe the Pats? maybe?).
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote