Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default How to find a new Bruce Arians

How to find a new Bruce Arians

Wednesday, January 25, 2012
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Oddly enough, the Rooneys have not solicited my suggestions on whom to talk with about replacing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, likely because I was not in total agreement with his sudden "retirement."

This won't be the first time I wasn't consulted on urgent policy matters, nor is it unprecedented for my opinions on a range of football issues to be pointedly ignored. By random example, I've made it clear to various Rooneys throughout the years that I'd prefer the Steelers have cheerleaders, but they apparently feel I'd be better off spending the timeouts asking God's forgiveness for even the thought of objectifying young women, and/or praying to Saint Vincent, the patron saint of ball security.

Fair enough.

But, today, I fear they seriously are overcomplicating the offensive coordinator search, particularly in a city where there is an offensive coordinator every 30 feet. In fact, when they announce the attendance at Heinz Field, I think they now say, "Today's attendance, 63,881 offensive coordinators."

On a daily two-mile walk with my belligerent Airedale, I typically meet two to four offensive coordinators, which is how I know Jim Kreiger. Jim's standards for modern offensive football are so high that he calls talk shows to criticize Tom Brady.

"Hines Ward, you have to get rid of him," Jim said Tuesday. "I mean he was great. I loved watching him. A great Steeler. Great for the city, all that, but it's time to go. I'd also consider getting rid of Charlie Batch. He's gettin' up there. Now this one, people will say I'm nuts, but I'd think about trading Ben [Roethlisberger]. He's 29, and I think he's just average, maybe a little better than average. I think you could get something for him."

This is what I like about Jim. I was talking to him about the offensive coordinator's job, but he jumped right to vice president of pro personnel. Jim, what about the play-calling?

"Too predictable," he said. "It's very obvious to me it's always run the ball, run the ball, throw the ball. They should mix it up a little. Other teams don't seem to do that."

This is about where it occurred to me that, if the Steelers were overcomplicating the search, perhaps I was guilty of oversimplifying it, and that just walking around the neighborhood did not necessarily meet the professional standard of due diligence.

So I went to Giant Eagle.

I knew there would be at least one strong candidate at the Camp Horne Road store, because that's where I saw the guy with the leather-sleeved 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS jacket that time, but this was after Super Bowl XLIII, so he had ripped off a three-inch square of duct tape, covered the big '5' on the back with it, and wrote '6' right on the duct tape.

That's the kind of attention to detail you need in an offensive coordinator.

I didn't find that guy, but, in the parking lot, I talked with Raymond Connolly, who gave a good presentation and had some football experience on his resume. High school, yeah, but around here, that's closer to pro than a lot of places.

"Anybody but [Arians]," Raymond said. "We've got to run the ball more. Get a fullback. Get back to basics. Quit giving Ben his way all the time. I've been watching for a long time. We've got to get back to some ball control. All that talent and no points."

That's not exactly what Art Rooney II said last week, but it's not exactly not, either.

Eerie.

As the Steelers' search progresses, you might notice that only men are being considered. My own preliminary interviews were under no such arbitrary restriction.

"I like the way the offense has been going; I like the play-action and I like the passing, but I'd mix it up more," Jeanne told me from behind the lottery tickets at the gas station. "I think the mentality of this team and these fans is that we expect to win, but you can't run the same old thing all the time. You have to mix it up when your progressions aren't working."

Progressions tended to break down for Arians, according to my candidates, specifically in the red zone.

"My motto would be," Jane Ubb told me at the Northland Public Library, "red zone equals end zone. If you get it to the red zone, you have to put in the end zone."

Forgot to ask her how soon she could start.

But, in the interest of thoroughness, and so no one might accuse me of failing to conduct a nationwide search, I interviewed Billy Gardell, the Pittsburgh native now the co-star of the CBS sitcom "Mike and Molly."

I started by mentioning that the person who succeeded Arians would need skin thicker than a pachyderm.

"My skin's been that thick since I was 9," said Gardell via cell as he was pulled into work in Los Angeles. "Look, we've been going to the pass too quick. The first thing I'd do is start that [John] Clay at running back and pound him at them in the first quarter, like we used to do with [Jerome] Bettis. That will set up Ben's play-action and sets up our quick receivers because the safeties will have to come up.

"When we get the lead, I'd run it up like it was a college team and then I'd bring back the big back. Then, we don't have to spend the last six minutes wondering if we're gonna get the ball back in time to score."

Sounds like five strong candidates to me. I assume any of 'em will work nights and weekends. No need to thank me.

Gene Collier: gcollier@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025...#ixzz1kTIEJOhC

Too bad we can't find a new beat writer for the Steelers. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

I don't know about you all but I don't want a new Bruce Arians! I want somebody that knows how to get the ball in the end zone!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

How to find a new Bruce Arians

Wednesday, January 25, 2012
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Oddly enough, the Rooneys have not solicited my suggestions on whom to talk with about replacing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, likely because I was not in total agreement with his sudden "retirement."

This won't be the first time I wasn't consulted on urgent policy matters, nor is it unprecedented for my opinions on a range of football issues to be pointedly ignored. By random example, I've made it clear to various Rooneys throughout the years that I'd prefer the Steelers have cheerleaders, but they apparently feel I'd be better off spending the timeouts asking God's forgiveness for even the thought of objectifying young women, and/or praying to Saint Vincent, the patron saint of ball security.

Fair enough.

But, today, I fear they seriously are overcomplicating the offensive coordinator search, particularly in a city where there is an offensive coordinator every 30 feet. In fact, when they announce the attendance at Heinz Field, I think they now say, "Today's attendance, 63,881 offensive coordinators."

On a daily two-mile walk with my belligerent Airedale, I typically meet two to four offensive coordinators, which is how I know Jim Kreiger. Jim's standards for modern offensive football are so high that he calls talk shows to criticize Tom Brady.

"Hines Ward, you have to get rid of him," Jim said Tuesday. "I mean he was great. I loved watching him. A great Steeler. Great for the city, all that, but it's time to go. I'd also consider getting rid of Charlie Batch. He's gettin' up there. Now this one, people will say I'm nuts, but I'd think about trading Ben [Roethlisberger]. He's 29, and I think he's just average, maybe a little better than average. I think you could get something for him."

This is what I like about Jim. I was talking to him about the offensive coordinator's job, but he jumped right to vice president of pro personnel. Jim, what about the play-calling?

"Too predictable," he said. "It's very obvious to me it's always run the ball, run the ball, throw the ball. They should mix it up a little. Other teams don't seem to do that."

This is about where it occurred to me that, if the Steelers were overcomplicating the search, perhaps I was guilty of oversimplifying it, and that just walking around the neighborhood did not necessarily meet the professional standard of due diligence.

So I went to Giant Eagle.

I knew there would be at least one strong candidate at the Camp Horne Road store, because that's where I saw the guy with the leather-sleeved 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS jacket that time, but this was after Super Bowl XLIII, so he had ripped off a three-inch square of duct tape, covered the big '5' on the back with it, and wrote '6' right on the duct tape.

That's the kind of attention to detail you need in an offensive coordinator.

I didn't find that guy, but, in the parking lot, I talked with Raymond Connolly, who gave a good presentation and had some football experience on his resume. High school, yeah, but around here, that's closer to pro than a lot of places.

"Anybody but [Arians]," Raymond said. "We've got to run the ball more. Get a fullback. Get back to basics. Quit giving Ben his way all the time. I've been watching for a long time. We've got to get back to some ball control. All that talent and no points."

That's not exactly what Art Rooney II said last week, but it's not exactly not, either.

Eerie.

As the Steelers' search progresses, you might notice that only men are being considered. My own preliminary interviews were under no such arbitrary restriction.

"I like the way the offense has been going; I like the play-action and I like the passing, but I'd mix it up more," Jeanne told me from behind the lottery tickets at the gas station. "I think the mentality of this team and these fans is that we expect to win, but you can't run the same old thing all the time. You have to mix it up when your progressions aren't working."

Progressions tended to break down for Arians, according to my candidates, specifically in the red zone.

"My motto would be," Jane Ubb told me at the Northland Public Library, "red zone equals end zone. If you get it to the red zone, you have to put in the end zone."

Forgot to ask her how soon she could start.

But, in the interest of thoroughness, and so no one might accuse me of failing to conduct a nationwide search, I interviewed Billy Gardell, the Pittsburgh native now the co-star of the CBS sitcom "Mike and Molly."

I started by mentioning that the person who succeeded Arians would need skin thicker than a pachyderm.

"My skin's been that thick since I was 9," said Gardell via cell as he was pulled into work in Los Angeles. "Look, we've been going to the pass too quick. The first thing I'd do is start that [John] Clay at running back and pound him at them in the first quarter, like we used to do with [Jerome] Bettis. That will set up Ben's play-action and sets up our quick receivers because the safeties will have to come up.

"When we get the lead, I'd run it up like it was a college team and then I'd bring back the big back. Then, we don't have to spend the last six minutes wondering if we're gonna get the ball back in time to score."

Sounds like five strong candidates to me. I assume any of 'em will work nights and weekends. No need to thank me.

Gene Collier: gcollier@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025...#ixzz1kTIEJOhC

Too bad we can't find a new beat writer for the Steelers. - mesa)
It's funny how this guy is taking a jab at all of the fans that wanted Arians gone. Bottom line is, one doesn't have to be an offensive coordintaor, or even have the qualifications to be one, to be able to look around the league, and by comparison, determine that a guy is performing as well as, better than or not as well as other people performing the same job. And if one has had any kind of formal football experience playing or coaching at a level higher than Pop Warner, one might actually even have a clue about what they're watching strategically and technically. Imagine that. BA's offenses underperfomed for 5 yrs., yet people want to act like fans are being unreasonable for wanting, no expecting better.

And just for the sake of argument, of those 63,881 "offensvie coordinators" in the stands, I bet there's a handful that could do as good as, or better job than Arians.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,904 Posts

Typical snide observations that any fans who wanted Arians gone are ignorant

I guess Gene Collier, along with Ron Cook, is mourning the loss of a source who spoke with the local media

If only Art Rooney knew as much about the operations of the Steelers as Ron Cook and Gene Collier
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Typical snide observations that any fans who wanted Arians gone are ignorant

I guess Gene Collier, along with Ron Cook, is mourning the loss of a source who spoke with the local media

If only Art Rooney knew as much about the operations of the Steelers as Ron Cook and Gene Collier
Sad, but so true! I can see those two in some dark, hole in the wall bar, getting shitfaced off of cheap scotch drowning in their sorrows.

Funny thing is, these guys had such smug attitudes towards fans when it looked like Arians might return for another season. Now they both act like they don't really enjoy the taste of crow.

Rockon
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
I don't know about you all but I don't want a new Bruce Arians! I want somebody that knows how to get the ball in the end zone!!!
Yeah, we don't need another loser who could only manage five straight winning seasons, a measly .688 winning percentage and go to the Super Bowl twice and win only one of them.

Man, what a nightmare THAT was!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

I really don't know where I stand on this move. On one hand we did struggle in the red-zone and on the other we've been to and won 1 SB under him.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yeah, we don't need another loser who could only manage five straight winning seasons, a measly .688 winning percentage and go to the Super Bowl twice and win only one of them.

Man, what a nightmare THAT was!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
My bad. Are we talking about Tomlin? I thought we were talking about Arians here. Everything you just cited, are all for the Head Coaches resume'.

BAs' resume' reads more like:

7th in ppg.
20th in ppg.
12th in ppg.
12th in ppg.
22nd in ppg.

That doesn't read like it's a resume' of someone who should be getting credit for the overall team success. Unless you're saying that BA was the defacto HC.

Rockon
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
My bad. Are we talking about Tomlin? I thought we were talking about Arians here. Everything you just cited, are all for the Head Coaches resume'.

BAs' resume' reads more like:

7th in ppg.
20th in ppg.
12th in ppg.
12th in ppg.
22nd in ppg.

And yet, despite all of that, we STILL had five straight winning seasons, we STILL had a .688 winning percentage and we STILL went to the Super Bowl twice and won one of them.

Did that not happen?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
And yet, despite all of that, we STILL had five straight winning seasons, we STILL had a .688 winning percentage and we STILL went to the Super Bowl twice and won one of them.

Did that not happen?
Of course it did. And you worded it perfectly. The Steelers have been successful despite BA's ineptitude. As in, in spite of. I'm not sure if you watched any of those games, but the offense struggled mightily in a large percentage of thoes games. The offense was putrid in '08 and the rode the defense to the SB. Yeah, the offense drove down the field for the game winning TD. But, they managed to score only 16 pts. on offense to that point against a team that gave up a ton of points in the NFC playoffs. Arians is lucky to have been part of a team with a good enough defense to mask his ineptitude. But, PLEASE stop giving credit for the Steelers success to Bruce Arians. The Steelers won a SB before BA was OC, or do we conveniently forget that? Why do people think they can't win one without him?

Rockon