Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,771 Times in 2,935 Posts
Default Re: How to find a new Bruce Arians

Quote:
when asked about the injury's to Sam Shields & Charles Woodson in the Super Bowl when he said "We don't attack players. We attack scheme." I about shit. That was the beginning of the end for me with that idiotic way of thinking in football.
he lost me when he admitted they dont even bother practicing vs a 4-3 defense and when players admitted they dont really bother running drills in practice. no wonder rb's were getting stuffed at the LOS.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
That's been my point all along!!!

Everyone wants Arians out but if Ben is allowed to play to his strength (running around, extending the play), then there really isn't ANYONE who could game plan with him. The best offensive architect in the universe could draw up the finest plays ever put to a whiteboard but none of that matters once Ben starts moving around.

So the best anyone could hope for would be to point him in a particular direction and see what happens. "OK Ben, let's try Red Right Slot 50 'X' and once you start running around you can figure out the rest"

How can anyone "plan" that way?

The only way to change any of that is to change Ben and good luck with that!
Ummm, if your QB is at his best on the move, then wouldn't you as an OC design plays to, I don't know......GET YOUR QB ON THE MOVE?

How about putting in some designed rollouts?

How about some designed bootlegs?

How about some designed waggle passes?

How about designing a play or two where the pocket moves with the QB so, he's not a sitting duck for angry defensive line types?

There are just some of the thing a smart and creative OC would do. None of which BA did. And that's not even talking about RB screens, swing passes, more slants and shallow crossing routes, or TE quick hitters in the seam. There's so much that can be done in this offense that Arians simply missed the boat on.

It's way too easy to say Ben likes to extend the play, so you can't have a structured offense. It's simply a matter of structuring the offense to best accentuate the things your QB does best.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,123 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
Ummm, if your QB is at his best on the move, then wouldn't you as an OC design plays to, I don't know......GET YOUR QB ON THE MOVE?

How about putting in some designed rollouts?

How about some designed bootlegs?

How about some designed waggle passes?

How about designing a play or two where the pocket moves with the QB so, he's not a sitting duck for angry defensive line types?

There are just some of the thing a smart and creative OC would do. None of which BA did. And that's not even talking about RB screens, swing passes, more slants and shallow crossing routes, or TE quick hitters in the seam. There's so much that can be done in this offense that Arians simply missed the boat on.

It's way too easy to say Ben likes to extend the play, so you can't have a structured offense. It's simply a matter of structuring the offense to best accentuate the things your QB does best.

Rockon
I didn't say we couldn't have a structured offense.

What I've been saying is that Arians (for or better or worse) has been trying to build an offense that allows Ben the freedom he likes to have. Admittedly, I think he went too far in that regard and was a little too lax in allowing Ben to roam around as he wished. But I DO think Arians was on the right track and it's hard to design a system around spontaneity and maybe he was foolish in trying, but he recognized the value in keeping that improvisation in the game.

I think it's possible to find a balance and the only thing I hope for is that the Rooney's, in their desire to go back to the "blue collar" image, don't discount the uniqueness of Ben's style and end up going in the opposite direction and turn Ben into a game-manager because I think that would be a huge mistake.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote